Totally clueless...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I swear, I am not a first time mom...but I feel so lost anymore.

My daughter just turned one. She is still mainly bottle fed, and seems to love it/thrive on it. She has no interest in juice or water or her sippy cup (except as a toy). She is allergic to dairy, so trying regular milk is out of the question. My thing is this...

I'm not sure she's eating enough. When she acts like she's still hungry after her bottle I give her solids, but she won't eat them before the bottle. She has 4 bottles a day, and the last two of the day I mix in cereal. She usually has solids three times a day, but it's not much. A handful of fruitpuffs, a couple of crackers, a small bowl of fruit. She isn't super interested in food, and when she does eat it, only eats a little. Am I starving her? I am a very light eater and don't eat all that much, and she never acts too hungry. She usually downs a bottle and then a small amount of solids at her feedings. Occassionally she'll eat bits and pieces here and there of what I'm eating at the time...but she just isn't interested.

On top of that, the dairy allergy. I had it when I was younger, but I wasn't in control of my diet. There is dairy in EVERYTHING. All of the toddler meals at the grocery store, even Spaghetti-O's have dairy in them!! Does anyone know of a good toddler diet that excludes the dairy? I'm going to the pediatrician with her next week...but I'd love some suggestions now of what to give her. I just feel like maybe she's not getting enough to eat. She is very small for her age, but she always has been (she was in 3 mo. clothes until she was 7 mo. old and now is still only in 6-9 mo. clothes...she's very petite and growing on her own curve...in the 5th %ile).

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
May 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
You might want to check out the allergy board also. Or the weight gain page.

Have you tried Goats milk? It tastes funky to us grown ups, but my little guy likes it. My little guy isn't much of an eater either. His Dr says he is happy to starve, she thinks he is developing nicely though. We have really struggled with this. Plus, due to concerns that he might develop an allergy, we are holding off on cows milk, for at least a couple of more months. Maybe even another year.

It sounds like she is eating fairly well. Is she reaching her milestones? Does she still seem to be growing? What does you Dr. say about it?

Also, come visit with us in the May Mommies Playroom. We would LOVE to have you.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
May 3rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Her previous ped said she was growing fine (now, that is...we had a failure to thrive at 3 months...combined with reflux...), just is petite and is growing along her own curve (but is growing). At her last WIC appt. she'd put on a decent amount of weight from her 9mo. appt. So, she's growing. She's just now starting to show interest in solids...but not a whole lot. Her appt. with her new pediatrician (we've had a roller coaster ride recently with pediatricians and insurance....LONG story) is next week, and we'll see what happens there. Hopefully by then I'll have the money to get her records from her old pediatrician.

I've heard rice milk is really good, too. I guess my biggest thing is I'm at a loss of WHAT solid foods to give her when she indicates that she's still hungry.Everything I think of that's "soft" food (doesn't help that she only has 3 teeth) has dairy in it and it becomes frustrating. I'm definitely holding off on cows milk because I'm 99% sure she has the allergy. We've tried foods with dairy in them before, and every time she eats it she becomes a little brat for two days, and occassionally gets a rash. When I was growing up, my allergies (I had TONS) manifested in my mood, not in physical signs. I refuse allergy testing until the age of 2, though, because it's inaccurate until then.

I've been in the April playroom because although Molly's due date was May 2, she was born in April *G* I might hop in and introduce myself, though

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search