to early for rice cereal?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Regular
Baby is 7 weeks going on 8 weeks old and currently takes 12-15 3oz bottles a day. That's 36-45 oz a day on average! After his first two growth spurts (week 4 and week 6) he was eating about 8 4oz bottles a day...but then came the horrible gas AND constipation. So Pediatric Nurse said to take his bottles down to 3oz and feed more often per day...well, that's exactly what's happening and he's eating more total per day. Also, starting about 5pm, he eats every hour until 11pm (or he'll scream his little head off if he doesn't!), and then wakes up again around 2am, 4am, and 6 or 7am to eat again. He'll eat 3-4 more times between 7am-5pm. Breastmilk doesn't seem to satisfy him well enough, and I've had to give a bottle afterward. I'm thinking about starting rice cereal to put something thicker in his tummy...

Question #1: Does the amount of breastmilk/formula seem a little too much food for him at barely 2 months old? Some days he still seems like he just can't get enough.

Question #2: What about starting some rice cereal? Is it too soon? Recommended products?

Any and all suggestions welcome! I'm just worried that he's eating too much and gaining too much weight too fast. He goes in for his 2-month check-up next week and I'm willing to bet he's more than doubled his birthweight already!
May 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Veteran
Ryan was like that at that age to just be patient it will pass starting rice cereal at that age can cause major constipation and gas there little stomakes just cant handle it
May 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I started my oldest on foods a bit early, and he landed with a TON of allergies. I suggest hold off. We are going really slowly with this little guy and he is doing great. I have an eleven year old and an eleven month old.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
May 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I would talk to your doctor about it! You probably need to see him or her soon anyways for vaccinations. My son needed to start solids around three months old because he was so hungry and malnourished, but it all depends on the physical readiness and developmental stages as well. Good luck!!!

May 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Super Mommy
A baby's stomach isn't ready for solids until at least 4 months, more preferably 6. are you sure your baby is hungry? we overfed our ds (breastfeeding) in the beginning because when he was crying and bobbing his head up and down on us we assumed he must be hungry and he was always happy to suck. however it took us a while to realise we were overfeeding him and that he was actually crying because he was overtired and the bobbing his head we then found to be a sign of tiredness, not of hunger! I really wouldn't think that your baby would need, or should have rice cereal at such a young age. A pedi told my friend that some research indicates irritable bowel syndrome in adults may be partially attributable to the introduction of solids too early. also as another mom said, if you can hold off the baby might end up with less food intolerances..

May 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also wanted to ask if you are sure he is hungry. I hate to say it, but if he is screaming his head off and its usually in the evening, he may have colic. So WTH is colic! well, who knows, but my own opinion is that often times its bad painful gas. Sometimes babies can confuse gas pains with hunger and start rooting, which makes you think its hunger. I would suggest before feeding him to try other things that often help with gas, bouncing often helps. My son had some bad gas. For us, boucing him over our shoulder helped, car rides, or stroller walks, gas drops, gripe water. Try these things first. I agree, I dont think cereal will help. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

May 13th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
just to add, rice cereal will probably make it worse because babies tummoies are able to digest solids until way later. Even at 6mths they cna have trouble. Stick to the milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search