Rice Cereal problems

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I've got some questions regarding rice cereal. I started Emma on cereal May 3rd at her last feeding at night, followed by me nursing her as usual. She usually ate about 1-1.5hrs before she went to bed for the night. At first it was going fine. She seemed to only cry towards the end of the feeding....me thinking, that she couldn't get it fast enough like she does when I nurse her. Couple days went by and I notice a change in her bm's (which I kinda expected after hearing its a bit harder to digest). She went from 2 bm's a day to now 1 every 24hrs (pretty much around 1:30pm too!). The past couple nights, her sched has been a bit off and she's been quite hungry when it comes time to feed her the cereal so she's been crying even more. DH thought it might be b/c she's sooooo hungry when she does get it, that she's prob not getting it fast enough. I kind of agree, but she's been really crying hard so that makes me think something is wrong and that its not just a wimper kind of cry. On top of things, she hasn't had a bm since Wed around 1:30pm.

Here are some of my questions :
-I've been feeding it to her every evening. Are you supposed to give it everyday or every other day?
-Might she not like it or be allergic? She's 5 months. Is it too soon to give her oatmeal?
-Is there anything I can do to make the rice cereal better? I've tried mixing it really soupy and then with a bit of texture.
-Would changing the time of day I give it to her help? I started giving it to her at night b/c I thought it might help her sleep better. For a while, she was waking through the night. She's been sleeping through since the end of Feb.

Thanks for the help you guys!

May 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hi there

I've been feeding it to her every evening. Are you supposed to give it everyday or every other day?

They say to start off with once a day and then increase to twice a day. I'd say after just a few days you can start giving it twice a day, but i am no expert. They say to start off with about a tablespoon and slowly increase depending on your childs apetite.

-Might she not like it or be allergic? She's 5 months. Is it too soon to give her oatmeal?

5 months is not too soon to start her on cereal. She may simply be famished by the time you go to feed her, or perhaps she isnt fond of the taste at all. If she is crying, I would suggest one of the following..1. stop cereals and try again in a week or two. You dont want her to think feeding time is a bad thing. or 2. nurse her first. This is what they reccommend here in Canada, that way she isnt famished and too hungry to be patient enough for the cereal. I always feed my son his bottle first, this also ensures that she doesnt stop taking less milk and loweing your supply. or you could 3. try giving a different cereal and see if she likes it better.

-Is there anything I can do to make the rice cereal better? I've tried mixing it really soupy and then with a bit of texture.

Sounds like you have tried just about all there is for that. I wouldnt reccommend adding anything to it, because they say its best to give foods individually first(like give her bananas alone for a few days before you give her rice cereal with bananas know what i mean?) Do you mix it with water or breast milk? They say it can be good to mix with breast milk becasue it will give her that familiar taste.

-Would changing the time of day I give it to her help? I started giving it to her at night b/c I thought it might help her sleep better. For a while, she was waking through the night. She's been sleeping through since the end of Feb.

I always give Cohen new foods in the morning, this way you can see if they have any allergic reactions. I was also told to feed him aroudn the same times that we eat. I just give him a bottle at bedtime, no solids, but everyone does it different. Maybe play around with it a bit and see what works best for you.

Hope this helps

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search