is your baby allergic to any food.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If so which ones?
May 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So far zoe has done good with everything we have given her.
Which is just stage 1 veggies and fruits and rice and oatmeal ceral.

May 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are looking at a definite dairy allergy. We have another unkonwn allergy, though I think it might be barley. We have testing next week for her (I HATE testing this young, but we need it so we can figure out what she can and can't eat)...it's not easy...but we're trying to deal with it.
May 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
how old is your daughter? Just curious, Ive heard starting solids too early may make them more sensitive to foods? Who knows tho.
May 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The conventional wisdom I have always heard is six months avoidance. Especially if there is a family history (as in our case) you are to avoid any 'allergenic' foods until theya re at LEAST six months. A year is best. BUT, you can't avoid solids for a year. You CAN avoid peanut butter (peanuts, too) for a year and should (actually 2 years is best for that). Other than that, your best bet is the slow introduction method, especially if you suspect allergies.

Always, of course start with the rice. I started at 4 months (much earlier than I wanted to, I prefer to wait on all solids until 6 months) with Molly because of a FTT diagnosis...we needed calories.

STart with veggies after a good rice intro, few allergies to be found there, usually. Then fruits (plus this curbs the sweet-tooth rejection of veggies that becomes typical if you intro fruit first). Do everything one at a time...wait FOUR days to make sure there are no reactions...and be warned, not ALL reactions are physical. Molly's first manifestations were in her moods, even when BFing if I had dairy, she'd be miserable until her next feeding...but we never saw hives until the past few months.

Once you've intro'd the basic fruits and veggies you can start looking at the complex stuff. Read EVERY label and see what "new" thing you're introducing. If you suspect that your child MAY have allergies...keep a journal. Keep track of every ingredient to see what they could be reacting to. Note any reactions to each new food.

If they do have a reaction, cease the food product (and don't introduce anything else) for a week to make sure it's out of their system...then try introducing that product again. Hopefully in that way you'll be able to learn to avoid what foods you need to.

Molly is 13 months now. I am against testing before 2...but at this point we honestly have no clue what she's reacting to...or if she's developed an allergy she didn't have previously, so we're testing. She's FTT and needs to gain weight, but we can't feed her hardly anything because she's reacting so strongly. She's been reacting to dairy since Breastfeeding...and I've given it to her a handful of times to "recheck" that theory, and every time she's reacted in one way or another.

It's a long road if you suspect allergies, and one you have to be very vigilant on. If someone directly related to your child has allergies, take every precaution. Mom/Dad/Brother/Sister with allergies means increased likelihood for allergies. I have always taken every precaution with food with my kids because of this (I was dairy and corn, both HUGE foods if you read labels)...and will continue to do so with my newest.

Sorry this is lengthy, but I tried to cover everything Good luck. Any questions, feel free to contact me!!!

Sadie
May 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im really wondering if Dylan is having a hard time with the rice cereal. He just seems moody after he has it and his little bottom has a little rash on it and he isnt sleeping like he used too. But then again like I have said in other posts. His teeth are JUST about to come through and so I dont know if I am having just bad timing and all this is happening because of his teeth? He hasnt gotten cereal in 2 days now and he still was a pill yesterday and didnt sleep last night. If he were to have problems with rice I wouldnt even know where to go from here.
May 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It could be the teething, and the cereal is just a coincidence. I'm sure it's possible to have a problem with it, but it's uncommon to have troubles with rice. Keep him off of it for a week. If he still has the symptoms, you know it's the teeth...if not, try it once more and see if it brings the symptoms up. I think I saw your other post said something about your ped dismissing you? Change peds, if possible. You need a supportive and informed pediatrician. I changed mine because he was dismissive on most things...and jumped the gun on things I'd rather he take slow.

Anyway, try taking a full week's break from the cereal...he's only barely 4 months anyway, you could wait another two before really introducing the cereal. If it's the cereal he'll get all better, only to get worse if you try it again.

Good luck!
May 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sadi,

That was VERY good information, thank you so much!

Haha seeing as you know your stuff im going to ask you this question.

My daughter is now 7mths old we are JUST about done veggies. Thing is, is that shes had corn, peas (she gags on them),carrots, grean beans and sweet potatoes. I was going to put her on hienz mixed veggies, but reading the label, theres a ton of stuff she hasnt had before in there. I would liek to just do it so i can see if shes allergic to any of them, but than again im scared that she might have a reaction and i wont know what it is. I would do it indeivdually, but they dont make all the kinds here. So should i just cross my fingers and pray and try it for a week or just skip it. I would love to get her on fruits soon, and than on meats by 8mths-ish. Only thing with meats, is that they have mixed veggies in them. There are no allergies on both sides of our immediate families to make me worry about allergies, but who knows right. She also has eczema so Im afraid i wont know if she has any reaction because it always looks liek theres somethings wrong

As for Peas. Ive tried them before, she only had them about 3 times. I gave them to her again yesterday and they were homemade and she choiked on it a bit, so i gave her the jarred stuff (hienz) anywyas she gagged on them and made the "Im gonna barf" noise. Than gagged on everything else that went into her mouth lol. SO im so stumped. Any advice from anyone would be nice.

Now that ive made this super long, thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

here, I am going to post the ingrediants in both vegetables,rice and chicken and also mixed veggies so you can see where im stumped.

Veggies,rice and chicken

Water, carrots,rice, chicken,split yellow peas, parsnips (hasnt had those) and potatoes (only has had sweet)

Mixed Veggies

water,carrots,potatoes,parsnips, yellow split peas and Lentils.

she hasnt had parsnips, yellow split peas or parsnips.
May 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry too much about introducing the mixed veggies. It's only two items she's never had before, and neither are highly likely to cause a reaction. If she does seem to have a reaction, you can actually try the potatoes at least easily outside of the veggies.

The excema would make it more difficult to spot a reaction. Try to look for a mood centered reaction as well as the typical surface reaction. As I said, Molly had mostly mood-centered reactions at first...it's only now that she's really gotten into the derma-reactions with some pretty nasty hives.

I'd go ahead and try it, give it the standard week. After that, take the fruits the same way. Avoid the stage 2 desserts until you've covered the fruits. The 'desserts' that are puddings and such contain 'extra' things with them like nonfat dry milk and other items. Just do the plain fruits for now, and then you can move up into the more complex things.

As far as the peas go...I'd say she just hates them, and she'd gag because she either still had the taste in her mouth, or thought you were still giving them to her. *G* I'd avoid them for now...she won't miss a whole bunch by not having peas, I never had them...but ate tons of other veggies

And you're welcome I try to be as helpful as possible so no one has to go through what I am right now. I've learned from my mistakes and hope I can help others avoid them. It's tough to remember to take things slow...but it ends up worth it when you can know what you're giving your baby isn't hurting them

Good luck! And again, feel free to contact me anytime I'm happy to help

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search