Baby led weaning and learning to use a spoon

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
My DD is a little over 6 months old and we are starting solids. I've already started with a little rice cereal which she hated, and some homemade purees ( pears and sweet potatoes ). She did ok with the purees from a spoon, eating about 1/2 an ounce at a sitting. She's a little more interested in playing with the spoon and may be confused about it. ? I'm not liking the traditional way of feeding DD and am ready to try BLW after reading lots of research about it. I have a quick question which I have not been able to find an answer to online. How and when does the child learn to use a spoon? Is it something that they will just "get" in time? BLW is really just baby using hands...TIA for any info!
October 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
I am reading the book Baby Led Weaning right now and also posting about my own experiences with baby led weaning on my blog (click on linky below in my siggy!). They won't really learn how to use spoons properly until closer to 8 or 9 months and maybe not even until a year...it says to give them loaded spoons to then try themselves but be prepared of course for the mess you can also give them "dippers" as in celery sticks with some hummus or other healthy dip..yogurt with pieces of toast etc....it helps them learn same concept as using a spoon.

The book also talks about the fact they may have easier time learning to use forks but I won't give a fork until a year or so personally....
November 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
My son was BLW and he is now 20 months and uses utensils quite well. Forks and spoons. We would give him a fork with his meal whether he used it or not and was allowed to try to use it when he wanted to, we would lead by example. He got a spoon when we had food that would typically be eaten with a spoon (yogurt, soup and such). It's a little trickier for him depending on consistency of the food but hey, spoons aren't easy. You have to get the whole balancing/not turning it over thing down. They do learn it over time like any other child would. Just keep providing opportunities and they will pick up on it over time.
August 5th, 2014, 08:54 AM
All babies are different My baby girl will be 5 months in 2 days and i have been spoon feeding her for a little over two weeks now and she loves it, she goes right to business I feed her baby food usually fruits in the morning first feeding around 7am with oatmeal cereal and then fruits again at around 2pm and then veggies with rice cereal bottle before bed around 9 and she sleeps until next morning at 7 am, and she also eats 6 once bottles in between and after so, it all depends .... just be patient she will come around.... some babies are picky eaters, i am just lucky to have a little chunka munka

For my families health care needs Dr SmartPhone MD

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search