This kid doesn't eat much !!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Regular
I'm just lost here.
This is my first baby and he just does not eat much. Its a constant struggle and it has been from day one.
He is 13 months and just has 2 top teeth.
Breakfast is not too bad -- cereal and some fruit.
He has about 18 oz of milk per day.
Lunch is very difficult and dinner is the worst.
He fights everything. Even things I think he likes.
I've tried everything. I put things on his tray that he can pick up and they all end up on the floor.
I give him toys to play with to amuse him and they all end up in his mouth making it impossible.
I haven't wanted to put him in front of the t.v. at mealtime but I tried it today as I couldn't take it. It still didn't work.
Lunch is usually 1-2 4oz. jars of food + a yougart. Dinner is usually about the same but without the yougart and with some cheese or bread. I've tried pasta, eggs, chopped up pieces of fruit and bread ..... etc.. etc..

I just don't know what to do.
He's in the 5-10 percentile for weight and 80th percentile for height. He weighs about 19lbs 6 oz. He is very very happy (except at mealtime!) he is always smiling and playing. He's very busy. He sleeps all night and naps pretty good.
Feeding is the only issue.

Any thoughts ?? I'm sorry this is so long I'm just beside myself here. PLEASE HELP !! Thanks.
May 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to say that some babies go through phases where they wont eat anything or are really picky about what they eat but you say that it has been a problem from day one.

Has your doctor shown any concern? I think that if your dr isnt concerned yet then its ok. I notcied from when I taught preschool that children eat when they are hungry and will quit when they are full.

I found these couple of articles and maybe this will help
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
______

My one-year-old son is a very picky eater. He is very active and I'm afraid he isn't getting what he needs nutritionally. He prefers to feed himself, but then he won't eat very much. He has more fun just playing with his food. What finger foods would give him the most nutritional value without being terribly messy?

Toddlers eat little relative to their parent's expectations. You need to remember, a serving size for them is only one-quarter to one-third of an adult serving. That means a quarter of a piece of toast - not the whole slice. It may be that your worrying about his intake may be somewhat unnecessary, due to unrealistic expectations. Try making a visual adjustment in your mind as to what is reasonable for a one-year-old to eat, and then add a splash of newfound independence and finickiness. It makes for an interesting picture. You have identified your challenge correctly - finding the appropriate foods to offer him, based on the knowledge that everything he eats should count towards his daily nutritional requirement. Then, after you have provided the food, leave it to him to be sure he is getting the calories he needs. Left to their own devices with healthy food, kids will eat what they need.
To help you help him get the proper nourishment, start by becoming familiar with the daily food needs of a toddler. Then choose foods that fulfil those requirements as much as possible and foods that can be served in a form he will eat.

On average, a one-year-old child needs the following to meet his daily nutrient requirements:

six servings of grains (one serving = 1/4 slice bread; 1/4 muffin; two crackers; four tablespoons of dry cereal; four tablespoons of hot cereal)
one serving of a vitamin C-rich fruit or veg (one serving = 1/3 cup juice; four tablespoons of chopped fruit or veg)
one serving of green or orange fruit or veg for vitamin A (one serving = 1/4 to 1/3 cup of juice; four tablespoons of chopped fruit or veg)
three or more servings of other fruits or vegetables including potatoes (one serving = 1/4 of a whole fruit or veg, 1/4 C chopped raw or cooked)
three servings of milk, yoghurt or cheese (one serving = 1/2 cup of milk or yoghurt; 14.75 grams (half-ounce) of cheese)
two servings of protein (one serving = 1+ tablespoon of chopped meat, fish or poultry; one egg)

As you can see, the serving sizes are small. Try providing him with these foods in manageable finger food portions. For example:

Breakfast:
1/4 chopped banana
1/4 cup baby cereal or 1/4 cup iron-fortified Cheerios
1/2 cup milk

Snack:
2 crackers
1/3 cup juice

Lunch:
1 tbsp chopped, cooked minced beef, maybe in 'sticks' for easy handling
1 to 2 tablespoon cooked chopped carrots
1/4 homemade wholegrain pumpkin muffin
1/2 cup yoghurt mixed with apple sauce or soft grated cheese (for finger food)

Snack:
14.75 grams (half-ounce) cheese and soft ripe fruit such as papaya

Dinner:
small pasta shapes, cooked al dente
chopped, hard, cooked egg
soft cooked vegetable such as green beans or broccoli florets
wholefat milk
fresh ripe fruit, or canned or chopped fruit

Snack:
small piece of bagel and wholefat milk

Almost all of the above foods can be served as finger foods. At the same time offer him some child-sized utensils and dishes that he can get his hands around so that when the mood strikes he can practise eating like a big boy. Eat your meals with him so that he has someone to copy.

Finally, try not to worry too much about the mess. I think that's what newspapers are for. Certainly we don't have time to read them, but they make great floor covering underneath the high chair.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
_______

We have a 14-month old son who has suddenly become a very picky eater. He's pretty finicky about what he'll eat and when. He has a regular and balanced diet, though he's not much into meat. We can't predict when he will or won't eat even his favorite things, like pasta and cheese. When he decides he's not into eating something, he'll mash it on his high chair tray, or else drop it on the floor. It's gotten pretty frustrating. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Eric

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that kids tend to do this at about this age. My son ate pretty much everything I set in front of him until about 15 months, at which point he became picky: some meals he would eat only the pasta, some meals only the vegetables, some meals nothing but tofu... and you never knew what he would eat. He also got big into dropping food on the floor. Several months later, he's still like this. What we do is this: we set a nutritiously balanced meal before him, and he eats whatever he wants. We also tell him that if he doesn't want something, or if he's all done, he needs to give the bowl to Mommy or Daddy. Then we let it go. If he drops something it is taken away, and he doesn't get it back -- but we don't make a fuss. Over the course of several days he does eat a balanced meal, and he's learning to say ''all-done'' and give his bowls to his parents, rather than drop them off the tray. Karen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last baby book I read (Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development by T. Berry Brazelton) talks about this exact issue. The author says this is *perfectly* normal, and as long as your baby is eating the minimum requirements (1 pint milk, 2 oz. meat (or an iron supplement), 1 oz. OJ/fruit (for Vitamin C) and a multi-vitamin) you don't worry about it and let your child eat what he wants. anon
The hardest part about your situation with your toddler's new eating habits is, as a parent, to let go and trust that your child will be absolutely fine and healthy despite the fact that he seems to eat nothing at all. In fact, they say that you should look at what your child eats over a period of a week or even up to a month, rather than on a daily basis, and you'll generally see that he gets all of the nutrition that he needs. It just might mean that he eats only apple sauce for a couple days then only tofu for the next couple of days.
I have a 20-month-old who, about 4-5 months ago, went from eating tons of everything put before him to becoming extremely picky. I think this age is particularly hard because they are unable to tell you what they DO want to eat, only reject the things thet don't want to eat.

It's been a very frustrating road for us, too, and after much soul-searching, we decided that the best we could do was to offer him nutritious options and let him decide for himself what and when he wanted to eat. Sometimes he eats more at snacktime, and so I've tossed out all of the junkier (and alas more convenient) foods and have started to offer only fruit, cheese, crackers, mini-bagels and the like. Also, I've found that my son may eat a lot of broccoli, then reject it for a couple weeks, then start eating it again, so don't give up too quickly.

As for your son throwing food on the floor, this too shall pass. My son still does it to a degree, although these days most of the food that ends up on our floor is due to his sloppy eating. If it's not one thing, it's another. Good luck! Teresa

My words of wisdom: Don't sweat it! Offer nutritious food whenever the family eats and whenever your child seems to be hungry. When he begins to play with, mash or throw his food instead of eating it, the meal is over. (You can require him to help you clean it up. He probably won't be very effective yet, but it's good training!) Many toddlers go through a period of seemingly ''living on air'' and don't suffer for it. If he is still nursing, he will get plenty of nutrition that way. If he is weaned, you might consider a multivitamin. But remember that many toddlers really do eat quite a bit in ''grazing'' fashion while refusing more formal meals, and that's a perfectly healthy way to eat (as long as they're not eating nothing but cookies). But don't push food he doesn't want on him, don't cook a whole separate meal catering to his picky tastes, make sure any snacks he gets after an uneaten meal are healthy, and don't make a big emotional issue out of it, and he'll most likely be fine.
May 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish i could help you but my daughter is only 7mths and we are not at this stage yet.

I would talk to your doctor though. My niece and nephew both have these issues..well actually not my niece shes a piggy lol. My nephew though. He is 5 and hes bene liek that also from day one. My little brother was the same. He wouldnt eat anything.

What they did for my little bro was put him on ensure. Its a meal replacement and he also ate. Hes not a big kid still but it helped to know he was getting what he needed. They have toddler formula like enfapro which is pretty much the same thing, maybe look into something like that. Sorry thats all i can suggest. Goodluck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search