How often should I try?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm kind of at a loss here! My boys started cereal at 4ish months and gobbled it right down. Evelyn is a little over 5 months and is showing all the signs of being ready (she sits unassited, can move the food to the back of her mouth, is hungry more frequently now, etc) but when I offer her food she takes about 2 bites and then clamps her mouth shut. She isn't trusting it out of her mouth, she just doesn't like it. I know that breast milk is fine for a while longer, but I've never dealt with a baby that won't even try to eat Should I just wait until 6 months and try again? Is this a typical reaction to foods? We tried cereal and a few different fruits, same reaction to all of them. She swallows it and makes a face like I've just fed her dirt
June 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm no expert, but if you tried cereal and fruit or veggies, I would just wait a few weeks and then try a few times and if she's not into it, wait a few weeks and try again. She may need to get used to the texture, next time you try you might want to try different foods. What did you mix the cereal with? I tried lots of things, but Carter likes it with formula best. HTH

June 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They usually say wait a week and try again. Have you tried different cereals? maybe she just isnt into the cereal you tried. My son is 8 months and hates every fruit he has tried other than applesauce. I think some babies just dont like fruit. I think some babies are also just picky eaters, you might try different brands, or try making some homemade baby food. I know every baby is different, but so far the only brand Cohen likes is beechnut, he spits out other brands, so maybe if you experiement you might find one she likes. In any case, you have lots of time to take it easy. Remember some parents delay solids till even 8-9 months, so there is no rush.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i would also wait a week and another brand. My daughter hates a lot of kinds. The only ones she likes are heinz and Nestle (nestle being her fav) Ive tried the cheaper store brand kinds and well, nope. I find you gotta play around with it a lot.
June 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the replies! I'm not in any hurry for her to start eating...it's much easier to just nurse her I made quite a bit of baby food for my sons so maybe I will try that. I never thought of it being a brand issues so I'll try some others as well. So far we've tried oatmeal cereal mixed with breastmilk, apple juice and water...she didn't like any of that! We've also tried a bit of avacado (which she liked better than anything else). Sweet potates, apples and bananas were a no go

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search