Still b/f'ing and intro solids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I've got a few questions here. I'm still b/f'ing and am in the process of introducing solids. Emma is on oatmeal cereal (which is going well) and I've also introduced her to carrots and sweet potatos - the latter going better than the first. I'll give her carrots for 3-5 days then give her sweet pots after that. I'm just not sure if I'm on the right track. I know there's no 'right or wrong' way to do things but I thought I'd ask you all here for some advice.

What I'm doing is giving her the solid first and then b/m. Should I be offering her b/m before I give her cereal/veggies? I've been giving her 2.5 Tbsp of cereal which seems to be a good amount for her. But I never know how much veggies to give and/or start her off with. I've tried 2-3 tsp to start just b/c I don't want to give her too much for fear of a reaction. Just until the food agrees with her...or she agrees with it!

She just had her 6mo appt yesterday and is weighing 20lbs But I've noticed that she seems hungry...sometimes...between meals. Should I feed her something solid? Is there any kind of a snack, like a baby cracker or something she could have instead of making a meal out of it?

Also, I've been thinking of weaning her in the next couple months. Its just sooo convenient now when we're out to b/f her. I don't have a clue what to give her when I'm not b/f'ing. I could offer her a bottle but how do I heat it and/or make it? The mall isn't exactly a convenient spot to do that. I guess my thoughts are, all of the food she eats is warmed. How am I going to do that when out and about?

This is what her sched is like right now:
8am - b/m
11am - cereal and b/m
2pm - b/m
5pm - veggies and b/m
830pm - cereal and b/m

I'm still nursing her quite a bit. Seems as though she needs more solids in there somewhere. I think I just need to get the quantities of things straight and that might help me, I dunno

Thanks for your replies.

June 15th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Mistletoes405
We just mix Jacob's cereal in with his bottle, because we're lazy and it's just easier that way. But he only gets 1 tbs, so it's not really that "solid" once it's been mixed with 6 oz of formula. But, when we were spoon feeding him cereal I used to give him his bottle first, and then the cereal, because he seemed to get distressed if we did the cereal first because he was having to do too much work to not be hungry anymore. If he had the bottle first, he enjoyed the cereal more because he was already semi-content with something in his tummy. I don't think that it really matter how you do it...whatever works for your baby is best.

As for the food, they say that to monitor for reactions you should feed them one type of food for 3 days or so. If they're going to have a reaction to it, they will usually do so in that time. If after three days you've had no problems, try something new. Jacob still eats the 2 oz jars, and only gets veggies because they have less calories and he's still getting a fair amount of formula. The majority of thier nutrition should be coming from bm/formula still, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Our pediatrician told us that once Jacob could sit up on his own we could start giving him "cookies"...like, Biter Biscuits or arrowhead biscuits for snacks. I'd be too afraid that he'd choke, so I don't think I'll be doing that for quite a while. But if you want to try them, they sell them right along with the baby food and cereal at the grocery store.

As for weaning, you could always pump and then bottlefeed EBM. If you decide to use formula, what we usually do is take a bottle of water and a container of powdered formula in the diaper bag. If he gets hungry while we're out and about, we just put the powder into the water, shake it up real well, and feed at room temperature. If we're in a restaraunt or something, I'll run the bottle under hot water to warm it a little bit. Also, if you're going to be out for a short period of time and want to take a bottle just in case, you could always take a bottle of juice/water. That usually tides Jacob over for a couple hours.

Just follow your babies cues. If she is hungry, feed her!
June 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have let Troy be my guide as to how much food to give. Once I did all the stage 1's for 3 days each--I started with 1/2 jar and if no reaction, I gave as much as he would take. Now that he is through all of them, I give him as much as he wants. Here is how we have been doing things (although this has been a horrible week--he only wants to be BF for some reason)--the times vary depending on waking and napping, but this is a general idea:
6:00am (or whenever he wakes)--BF
8:00--cereal and fruit
9:00--BF
12:00--veggie and fruit
1:00--BF
4:00--BF (maybe depending on how he's doing)
5:00--cereal, veggie, fruit
7:30--BF
The amounts vary depending on him--he was eating 1 stage1 jar of fruit in the am, a whole jar of each at lunch and dinner. Cereal is about 2 T. in the am and 1/4 C. at night. It was going great for awhile, but for some reason has been balking at the solids this week???

I was trying to BF him after doing the solids, but he wasn't hungry enough to do much, so I had to adjust. Unfortunately, BF has been coming right at naptime so that's been a challenge as well! I don't think there is a definite right way--whatever works for you and your baby!

June 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
we r new to this too so i'm not much help. and i dont feed cereal. but i was told to give bm 1st then solids. that way most of the nutrients come from the bm.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I havent had a chance to read all the replies, but I always give him his milk first since its supposed to be their main nutrition for the first year, this ensures he doenst cut back on how much milk he takes. With breastfeeding I would bf first to make sure your milk supply doesnt get lowered, but thats JMO.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't read all the replies but for the 1st year BM (or formula) should be their main source of nutrition so you should be nursing her and then giving her solids. If not she will get too full off solids, won't eat enough at the breast and then your supply will go down. Also I give Brody Farley's biscuits..... they are cookies that are made out of baby cereal that babies can chew on,, but they won't break apart.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search