Is it too early?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son will be 3 months next week. Starting around 6-7 weeks he was sleeping 7-8 hour stretches at night. He did it pretty consistently up until about 2 weeks ago when he started waking up ALL the time. He's breastfed, but he'd been getting a bottle of EBM at bedtime. I upped the oz. from 4 to 6 and he was still waking up starving after only 4 hours. I know he can sleep longer...he's just hungry. He eats every 2 hours during the day...but this has been pretty much his pattern for awhile.

I'm wondering if maybe he's needing a little more to keep him full than just breastmilk. He's a big guy...15 lbs. 8 oz. at his 2 month checkup. He has good head control...he keeps it pretty steady and can turn it from side to side. I haven't spoken with our ped. about starting cereal this early, but I'll probably be giving him a call in the next week or so.

What do you think? Is it too early? I'm going to stick it out without it for at least another week to make sure that it's not just a growth spurt, which it very well could be. I said I'd wait until 4 months, but he just seems like maybe he needs a little bit more to fill him up already.

June 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I must admit I am one of those moms who gave in early (right before he turned 4 months) and did cereal. I was in a similar situation-he seemed hungry all the time. It went well, but you may want to see if you can wait out what may be a growth spurt because his digestive system may not be ready. I would call your ped if you have concerns!

June 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started giving Brody cereal @ 6 weeks (I am queen of doing everything before they say you're supposed to) anyways he needed it because he is a big boy as well. cereal won't hurt him at all!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

June 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im with KAT i also started zoe early on ceral and baby food. I think as a mom you can feel and know whats best for you baby. I felt zoe was ready I have never discussed it with her Pedi..
But i think you should do whatever makes you comfortable...

June 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Jenny Lee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, Jen! I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I plan to wait until Ryland is 4 months old, which isn't too much longer. I'm so tempted every evening since the box of rice cereal is already up in the cabinet. Ryland's next ped appt. is July 17th, but I highly doubt I will be waiting until then to offer him his first cereal feeding. I started Caleb on rice cereal at 4 months old also. Seth has exhibited signs of readiness. He has good neck/head control. I can see that from your photos! Just try to get a sense of whether his tongue-thrust reflex is gone or near gone...just because if it's not then he'll more than likely just push all of the cereal back out.
Starting solids is so much fun!

June 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what everyone has already said. I also started about a week before Dylan was 4 months old. I think that no one knows there baby better than a mommy not even the dr (even thought they all have different opinions) I say if you think hes ready try it. He will let you know if hes ready or not by how he does with the cereal.
June 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I waited till 6 months to start solids. My baby was a hungry baby too, but I was told to give him more milk, or is bfing to breastfeed more often. Studies show that cereal doesnt actually help them sleep through the night, and at times it can actually make it worse because their bodies arent ready to digest cereal so they can wake up even more with a tummy ache. I thought my baby was hungry, but now I know thats just how babies are lol.

edit to remove quote from other forum oops.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search