i'm so lost!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i got a few of my answers from reading other posts, but i still just feel so lost at this whole thing!

We're starting bryce on oatmeal cereal tonight. that will be his first solid food he's growing up so fast! anyways... first solids tonight. he should have a feeding around 7, so i'm going to feed him bm (do i feed him like i always do? won't he be full then?) and then give him the cereal. what consistency should i do the cereal at? I'm planning on mixing it with EBM. i know some girls said it's way too runny if you follow the directions. what is a good amount?

also, do they keep getting cereal every day... like until they are a year, or what? i bought a box of rice cereal and a box of oatmeal and 5 jars of veggies. my "plan" (which is just me not knowing what the heck i'm really doing) was to go through the whole box of oatmeal, then the whole box of rice, then add the veggies in one at a time (after waiting 3-5 days to see if he has a reaction for each).

ok and sorry, all you girls from my PR-- i already asked this over there, but what do you guys do for liquids? i bought bryce a sippy cup so he can start getting used to it, but if they aren't supposed to have water until a year and they aren't supposed to have juice until ____ (i don't even know...), what am i supposed to put in his sippy cup???

thanks for any help! i know i sound like a complete doof. i didn't ask my doc about any of this because i wasn't planning on starting solids until around 7 months... but he is so over-ready now. he knows what to do with the spoon, and he grabs things off my plate all the time and they head straight for his mouth.
June 30th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
this is what we did...i am not saying it is right, we kind of winged it. for a week, she got rice cereal in the morning. we made it the consistency of runny cream of wheat with formula. after one week, we started adding a vegetable in the evening too. we would try a new one every four days. we have added a couple of fruits now too. so now she gets cereal, vegetable/fruit at 'lunch' and vegetable/fruit at 'dinner'. if she is still hungry after the solids she gets a bottle. we only give her formula for liquids and she is still eating 4-5 bottles a day. usually she won't finish the bottle after solids though. at every feeding, she gets about half a jar of food.

i hope this helps!
June 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Tigger's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
normaly you are suppose to start on rice cereal then go to the others oatmeal or barley however you can start on oatmeal if you want it is justmore recommended to start on rice. Do that for 3-7 days then you can do a different cereal or start your veggies that you want. Always wait 3-7 days in between introducing new veggies.

What I was told and do is do his cereal/solids 20-min to 1/2 hour before they want to eat bottle or breast start with just a couple tablespoons then follow up 30 minutes later with nursing/bottle just remember when you start solids after those meals most of the time they won't eat as much BM or formula. Usually Kiera will eat a solid then a little while later take 4 oz then 3-4 hours after that have 6 oz then solids then 4 oz and etc.... Nursing of course is different since you can't measure oz on your boobs

You can mix the cereal with your BM. He might like it that way better since it will taste more like BM. I don't know if they get cereal for a year but they want them to get up to 4 tblsp a day of it for the iron content maybe until they start meatts at 8-9 months. As far as mixing the cereal I just mix enough water with mine to make it look like oatmeal Kiera likes hers thicker you will find the right consistancy it just take time to figure out what he will like..

As far as the sippy cup you can do a couple oz of water or juice in there at this age. sometimes I mix both juice and cut it down with some water Kiera never drinks the whole thing I mostly just let her play with it. she doesn't get I have to tip this back to drink out of it yet.

Sorry if this is long I hope I answered your questions. Let us know how it goes!!
June 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only did cereal for my first two but I don't think you need to wait till you finish the whole box to start veggies. I would say a week maybe. I forget how long a box last though. With my last two we started with sweet potatoes and avacado. The rice cereal that comes in the boxes really has no nutrtionally value it is just a filler and suggested as a first food becuase rarely causes a reaction. Avacado is super easy just mash and add bm.
Good luck and have fun.
June 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just chiming in to suggest that its okay to give your baby water to drink. They don't need it; but it won't hurt them to have some.
June 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i have only been giving lily fruits at night, today she had her 6 month appointment and she recieved the ok to have breakfast and dinner. im only going to give her a little cereal and half a jar of fruits for each and once she has mastered all fruits and veggies then you can give meat in lieu of cereal.

i have given my daughter water on occasion. we travelled down south twice in the past month (sw florida and south carolina) and with the heat and humidity i was very fearful of her getting dehydrated even though i was nursing on demand.

June 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to give them their milk first to ensure they continue to have that as their main source of food. I give Cohen his bottle and then about 30 minutes later solids. There is no rush with solids, if you want to go through the whole box of cereal before introducing another you have plenty of time to do that. At first babies may only eat a teaspoon of food, that is completely normal so dont stress if he doesnt eat much, it will become more over time. I followed the directions on the box the first time i gave him cereal and it was pretty soupy, but thats ok, the idea is that it will be similar to formula so they will take to it easily and then you can slowly make it thicker over time, but if you find it way too runny, no problem, the next time you can adjust it, and if its too thich just add a bit more water, breastmilk etc.

My doc said the most important solid for their first year is cereal, that they should have it twice a day. She said the other foods or more for allergy checking and to see what they like. I have also read they shoudl have cereal until 2 years old, so if they stop liking it, i have seen it suggested to make muffins with the cereal etc. Anwyay the reason my doc gave was because they need the iron in the cereal, becuase I guess alot of babies are getting anemic.

Oh and about sippy cups, its totally ok to give some water. My doc said 1-2 ounces a day. There is something they can get from having too much water, where their kidneys cant process it, but a reasonable amount is totally fine. I am not sure what a maxiumum amount would be, but in the hot summer heat, a little water never hurts(of course with breastfeeding they often say to breastfeed more often in the summer since the baby gets the thirst quenching for milk), so its really up to you.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks a lot everyone!!

I gave him oatmeal and i didn't even measure how much milk i added, i just added until it looked good. i think it was about an ounce... maybe a little more. he did so so so so good! he didn't spit any out and he closed his mouth around the spoon... all the right things. he was so clean afterward! i was so proud!

i gave him the sippy cup today with a little water in it, and he grabbed it and stuck it right in his mouth, but he couldn't figure out that he has to tip it back to get anything out (i guess he's just used to the boob doing all the work for him. haha). ...so he didn't drink anything, but he did get a little practice with it.

I think i will start feeding him at night between his last two feedings... like give him bm at his 6:00 feeding, then maybe around 7:30 give him cereal, then 9:15 bm before bed.

How long before I should bump him up to 2 feedings a day? I don't want to rush him. will he just give me cues again or what? should i just try him when i feel like he's ready?

THANKS AGAIN!!! This feeding thing is so confusing in the beginning!!
June 30th, 2006, 09:53 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
normaly you are suppose to start on rice cereal then go to the others oatmeal or barley however you can start on oatmeal if you want it is justmore recommended to start on rice. Do that for 3-7 days then you can do a different cereal or start your veggies that you want. Always wait 3-7 days in between introducing new veggies.[/b]
I also got told that you should give rice before Oat,, it is easier to digest. I have repeatedly tried Brody on Oat and it has never sat well with him,, I have always just stuck with rice.

Quote:
I was told to give them their milk first to ensure they continue to have that as their main source of food. I give Cohen his bottle and then about 30 minutes later solids. There is no rush with solids, if you want to go through the whole box of cereal before introducing another you have plenty of time to do that. At first babies may only eat a teaspoon of food, that is completely normal so dont stress if he doesnt eat much, it will become more over time. I followed the directions on the box the first time i gave him cereal and it was pretty soupy, but thats ok, the idea is that it will be similar to formula so they will take to it easily and then you can slowly make it thicker over time, but if you find it way too runny, no problem, the next time you can adjust it, and if its too thich just add a bit more water, breastmilk etc.

My doc said the most important solid for their first year is cereal, that they should have it twice a day. She said the other foods or more for allergy checking and to see what they like. I have also read they shoudl have cereal until 2 years old, so if they stop liking it, i have seen it suggested to make muffins with the cereal etc. Anwyay the reason my doc gave was because they need the iron in the cereal, becuase I guess alot of babies are getting anemic.[/b]
I nurse Brody before I give him solids,, it just doesn't make sense to me to do it the other way around because I wouldn't want him getting full off solids when the BM is what he really needs. AND your supply will start going down quite a bit if you feed solids first.

Quote:
Thanks a lot everyone!!

I gave him oatmeal and i didn't even measure how much milk i added, i just added until it looked good. i think it was about an ounce... maybe a little more. he did so so so so good! he didn't spit any out and he closed his mouth around the spoon... all the right things. he was so clean afterward! i was so proud!

i gave him the sippy cup today with a little water in it, and he grabbed it and stuck it right in his mouth, but he couldn't figure out that he has to tip it back to get anything out (i guess he's just used to the boob doing all the work for him. haha). ...so he didn't drink anything, but he did get a little practice with it.

I think i will start feeding him at night between his last two feedings... like give him bm at his 6:00 feeding, then maybe around 7:30 give him cereal, then 9:15 bm before bed.

How long before I should bump him up to 2 feedings a day? I don't want to rush him. will he just give me cues again or what? should i just try him when i feel like he's ready?

THANKS AGAIN!!! This feeding thing is so confusing in the beginning!![/b]
The first couple times I gave Brody cereal,, I measured,, after that I just started winging it,,, you know when its right. I think it was about a week or so when I started to give Brody cereal for breakfast and cereal before bed,, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats what I did. Best of luck!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
How long before I should bump him up to 2 feedings a day? I don't want to rush him. will he just give me cues again or what? should i just try him when i feel like he's ready?[/b]
I started feeding Isaiah two solids a day when he was eating half a jar in the morning. He wont always eat half a jar in the evening but I am sure he will over time!
July 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, I didn't read all the other replies, but here is what I did/do. DD is 8 months and still only get one meal aday (if she's lucky). I skipped the whole cereal thing till she was seven months (when I told my ped this, she said she had done the same thing w/ her son). I would give DD 1/2 a stage one jar of veggies. When I started on the cereal, I just mixed it w/ the veggies/fruit. I really didn't want to pump just to mix it w/ cereal. She eats every 2-3 hours so what I do, is give her the food about an hour after she nursed and then if she didn't nurse for two more hours no big deal she wasn't missing a meal, it was just toward the longer stretch.

Good luck. I swear deciding to delay vax for me was an easier choice than what and when to feed DD.

BTW, Her first food was Avacado.
July 2nd, 2006, 03:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks again everybody!
July 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Jessica!!! How's the feeding going with Bryce?
It was really confusing for us to but I went with my instincts like not to give him rice cereal anymore and he is doing so well now he loves almost everything (well not green beans) lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search