How Old

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Veteran
How old was your child when you started solids? My daughter will be 4 months on the 21, and I'm thinking of starting solids ( I might just skip cereal). Thus far shes only had breastmilk, and a bottle of formula here and there. I think she may be ready as she holds her head up well, and she appears to like the taste of bananna. I had a bananna and put a dab(and I do mean dab) on my finger for her to taste.

July 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all !!!! Hopefully you can stick around with us.

Second, I started my son at about 4 months. We started with cereal but he had bad reactions to the rice so we skipped it all together and went to veggies. Now he is eating all of Stage 1's and some Stage 2's.

In my opinion, If you think she is ready, then she probably is. You hear a lot of different things from websites and dr's and people in general. But as a Mom I think that we know best. HTH
July 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
MamaBx3
Hey ! Welcome to our board !

Nevaeh started solids when she was just about 5 months .

She's eating sweet potatoes , squash , carrots, green beans, wax beans, peas .. applesauce , prunes , pears .

She loves everything except both beans hahaha . Her fave fruit is Prunes .
We didn't really do cereal at all .. she gets a bit in the morning , but before solids she barely had any .

I don't think there's anything wrong with skipping cereal !

Good luck !
July 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
chlodoll
i would personally hold off on the solids for a little longer. She muight like bananas but that doesnt mean her body is ready for them. We first tried cereal when Isaiah was 5 1/2 months he wasnt really into it so we held off a bit longer. Its recomended to wait till 6 months for breastfed babies.
July 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
our doc reccommended wiating till 6 months even with a bottle fed baby. We started a small amount of cereal at 5 months and one week just because I wanted to have a bit of time to experiment, but we didnt give him anything but cereal till 6 months. They say between 4-6 months your baby is ready you have to watch for their cues... are they sitting up well with support, are they reaching for your food, things like that.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 12th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Veteran
Quote:
our doc reccommended wiating till 6 months even with a bottle fed baby. We started a small amount of cereal at 5 months and one week just because I wanted to have a bit of time to experiment, but we didnt give him anything but cereal till 6 months. They say between 4-6 months your baby is ready you have to watch for their cues... are they sitting up well with support, are they reaching for your food, things like that.[/b]

I'm thinking of waiting just a little bit longer. She sits up very well with support, and has been holding her head up since she was a little over a month.

July 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just thought I would add, I am sure doctors have differing opinions on this, but my doc said the most important food their first year is cereal for the iron. She said she wants Cohen to have it atleast 2 times a day. So one meal I give cereal with fruit on the side, alternating between foods to give him variety, the next meal i give him meat and veggies, with fruit (so he gets his iron at this meal from the meat) and then for supper i give cereal with veg and fruit. I dont mix all the foods together, becuaes that way he has variety. he is a really picky eater, but since I started making sure he has variety in each meal, he is eating alot more than he was before.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Regular
Quote:
How old was your child when you started solids? My daughter will be 4 months on the 21, and I'm thinking of starting solids ( I might just skip cereal). Thus far shes only had breastmilk, and a bottle of formula here and there. I think she may be ready as she holds her head up well, and she appears to like the taste of bananna. I had a bananna and put a dab(and I do mean dab) on my finger for her to taste.[/b]
Hurray for giving your baby a great start in life with breastfeeding!!!

Starting baby on solid foods, begins the weaning process. Your milk continues to meet three quarters of your baby’s nutritional needs for the second half of the first year, however as your baby eats more solids, breastfeeding will lessen.

Every baby develops at their own pace. Some babies will show readiness to start solids earlier but the only food that your baby requires for the first 6 months is breast milk. Each of my own children has developed differently in this area. My firstborn, Atara, started solids at 5 months and stopped nursing at 12 months. My second, Maya, wasn't interested in solids until nearly a year! She continued nursing well past age 2. My 8 month old son, Zach, started solids at 6 months and is still nursing....

The rare baby will show signs of readiness to start on solids at an earlier age. If your baby nurses constantly at 4 or 5 months yet seems unsatisfied she may be ready to eat food.

It's important to know that starting your daughter on solid foods before her body is ready can lead to allergies, regular digestive upsets, lowered nutrient absorption, and other things.

You'll know that it's time to try solids when your baby shows you the following signs:

Intensified demand to nurse and is not satisfied after several days of increased breastfeeding.

Teeth.

Your baby can sit independently and sit alone in a high chair.

Your baby loses the tongue-thrust reflex and can swallow foods without gagging.

Hand-eye coordination.

Ability to pinch objects between thumb and forefinger and can hold little pieces of food in her fingers.

Enjoy and good luck!!!
Warmly,
Erika
July 16th, 2006, 07:31 AM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter Dakota will also be 4 months on the 21st. My doctor told me to wait to start solids between 4 and 6 months. At her 2 month appt my doc suspected she would be an early eater from her eating habbits and her personality. I did introduce solids to her when she was a little over 3 months, she was trying to eat way over 30oz of formula a day... she used a spoon and ate like a champ. But wanting to keep with doctor's orders I stopped them and just re-introduced them last night due to her wanting to eat all the time and never seeming satisified. She ate a whole stage 1 jar of carrots and I have never seen her enjoy something so much Only YOU know when your baby is ready!!

July 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Dono92000
I started Donovan at 4 months. But we didn't do it every day in the beginning. I wanted to take it really slow. I would feed him just a few spoons of whatever over about 3 days and then wait a few more days before opening the next jar of food. I just gradually increased the amount as long as he was still finishing his bottle too. Now he's still eating the same amount of formula, plus eating cereal for breakfast and a jar of something for lunch or dinner. I just let him tell me what he was ready for. As long as he's still taking enough formula.

As far as the cereal I've heard the same thing, but only for breastfed babies. Formula fed babies get the extra iron from the formula, but that breastfed babies need the cereal because it's suplimented with iron. I dunno! THat's just what I heard. We're not doing rice though, I chose barley because it has a tiny bit of fiber in it.

I would just take is real slow to make sure your baby is still breastfeeding enough! Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search