I need help with non pureed/finger foods

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am really hving a tough time getting cohen to chew anything. he is a really picky eater and thinks most foods are gross and sticks out his tongue to even purees. I recently had a big fight with my sis and she threw in some comments about my mothering skills saying that my baby cant even chew yet and wont be able to eat his bday cake and basically insinuated I was a bad mom, and I just feel terrible. but every finger food I have given him he sticks his tongue out and looks like he is choking, so I am just insanely nervous, which doesnt help cause I amsure he picks up on that. Anyway i have tried giving him cottage cheese, mushed and not mushed, farleys biscuits, cherios, bread, I even got desperate and let him try some cheesies( i know not healthy but I just want him to learn to chew!) he sticks his tongue out for everythign and acts as though its discusting, wont even eat little bits of proecessed cheese or small pieces of banana. Today I manged to get him to munch on a bit of cottage cheese and a bit of bread but eventually he did the tongue thing and looks like he is choking but its just cause he is grossed out or maybe does like the sensation as it goes down, not sure. Anyone have any advice? how do I calm down and stop being so freaked out about choking? I just feel nervous becuase I am home alone with him and as much as I have read what to do when a baby chokes, I worry that he would die because I am incompetent. do you guys get stressed like me? again how do i calm down? any other recommendations on foods?

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Lynettesmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynettesmommy
Ok i just want to say you are not a bad mother because your child is a picky eater. my Neice is almost a year old and will still only eat stage one maybe some stage two foods but only fruit. She does the gagging thing and has even been known to throw up from gagging. It isnt you fault at all. Just let him eat what he likes. Maybe ask the Dr if you are worried. Also have you tried fresh fruit ot maybe even the fruit/veggie puffs they melt in the babies mouth and they are pretty good.Good luck hopefully he will grow out of being so picky.
July 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
i havent tried any fresh fruit other than bananas so far. I did try making my own puree of peas becuase he loves peas, and i thought it would be nice for himto have a different thicker consistency and he actually hated it so much that he gagged and threw up like your niece I havent even seen these veggie puffs, but would be very interested in trying them. Where can I get them? Maybe they arent available where I am? I am gonna keep my eye out. thanks so much for your help and reassurance.

July 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive seen the puffs at Walmart and Target
July 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
hi girls, turns out they werent available in canada, but walmart JUST got them here!! as soon as I heard I went and got some. I gave the sweet potatoe ones to Cohen today and he actually figured out how to feed himself and chewed yay! I was still really nervous he would choke though cause box says one year and up. bu i just dont know what else to give to get him to chew. thanks so much!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search