Question about rice vs oatmeal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone-I havea few questions for you all! My daughter Kylie is 5 months old-I started her on rice cereal about 3 weeks ago oncea day. She is now eating it twice a day. I am wondering when and how do I introduce oatmeal. Can I do it now, and would I just subsitute a rice feeding for oatmeal? And, she eats 1 TB of cereal in the am followed by nursing(she Wont eat cereal if I nurse first, so I have to nurse after) and she eats 2 TB of cereal at night, also followed by nursing. So, if I subsitute on of the feedings, do I give her the same amount or not since oatmeal is thicker?

I am planning on starting her with veggies when she is 6 months, so would I add veggies at lunchtime or would I give her some in the am and/or pm along with her cereal, or eliminate a cereal feeding and give veggies instead? I know everybody does things differently, but Id just like some opinions I guess because Im so confused, LOL. Thanks in advance!!!!

July 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not much help since Dylan had reactions to rice cereal and we didnt do it.

Hope someone else has good advice for you!!!
July 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Well thanks for your help!! I have decided that I will give her rice in the am and oatmeal in the pm. In a few weeks I will introduce sweet potatoes right after her cereal in the am. But Im wondering, when I start her on a different veggie after 5 days, can I still feed her the others that Ive already tried say at lunchtime or dinnertime? Or do I have to go through all of them before I can overlap?

July 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is what I do and I find that it works well--
BF--Cereal (I started doing a fruit as well when he was ready for it)
Lunch--1 or 2 veggies and fruit
Dinner--same as lunch.

I couldn't get veggies and cereal in him at the same time so I stopped the night cereal. Your baby may be able to do both. I would try the new foods for bf or lunch and watch for reactions. You can do the oatmeal or mixed anytime now that you know there is no reaction to the rice. Troy can't do oatmeal--makes him miserably gassy so we stuck with rice or mixed.
As far as your other ??--any food that you have already tried and found no problems with can be eaten at any time. So if sweet potatoes go well, you can give a new veggie for lunch and Sweet potatoes for dinner. Good luck and enjoy!

July 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Quote:
This is what I do and I find that it works well--
BF--Cereal (I started doing a fruit as well when he was ready for it)
Lunch--1 or 2 veggies and fruit
Dinner--same as lunch.

I couldn't get veggies and cereal in him at the same time so I stopped the night cereal. Your baby may be able to do both. I would try the new foods for bf or lunch and watch for reactions. You can do the oatmeal or mixed anytime now that you know there is no reaction to the rice. Troy can't do oatmeal--makes him miserably gassy so we stuck with rice or mixed.
As far as your other ??--any food that you have already tried and found no problems with can be eaten at any time. So if sweet potatoes go well, you can give a new veggie for lunch and Sweet potatoes for dinner. Good luck and enjoy![/b]

Thank you soo much. Our feeding schedule will eventually be really similar to yours!

July 25th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Phoenix2Light's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix2Light
Yes, if you've tried and approved a food you can overlap it and mix it or whatever you want to do with another one you've tried. You can still give her one food she's already tried and then something new as well, you don't have to stop everything just to try one more new food, you've already found out she won't have a reaction to that one so if she has a reaction you know it's the new food.

Yeah, that is going to be my schedule as well, we've already tested quite a few foods but I won't put YuQi on a heavy schedule until later. So my plans are...

morn: cereal and bm
snacks: bm and fingerfoods
lunch: 10z veggie, fruit, and bm
snacks: bm
dinner: fruit and bm
late night snack: cereal and bm

YuQi is a pig, I just realized after looking at that how much he eats...

July 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
** Mandy **
Is there a reason you want to use oatmeal? Just wondering because I think I'm going to skip it unless told otherwise. Ally's doctor said to use rice cereal because infants have the least reaction to it and then whenever I feel like she has gotten the hang of eating from a spoon I can start feeding her level one baby food.

She has been eating rice cereal for about a month now so this weekend I think I am going to start adding a green veggy baby food (beans or something like that).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search