help!!! What to do

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mommysarah
Hi everyone I need some input.... I am trying to wean Mya to formula.... I thought she didn"t like the bottles, so I tried sippy cups, but she just doesn"t like the taste of the formula.... Any ideas on what I can do?? She will drink apple juice from anything, but the formula, she gets soem in her mouth and lets it run right out... I tried this morning putting apple juice\water in her formula, and she drank it better.... What about goats milk??? Too bad Dairy isn"t till after a year....Any ideas?? Is pediasure the same as formula??? Sweeter??? TIA for any ideas.....
August 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
Goat's Milk

Using goat's milk before 6 months or regular use between 6 and 12 months is not recommended. Goat's milk is no more appropriate to give baby than cow's milk. If you need to supplement and breastmilk is not available, formulas are a more nutritionally complete product. Using this information, goat milk is much closer in composition to cow milk than human milk. Goat's milk is high in sodium (like cow's milk) and is very high in chloride and potassium, which makes the renal solute load too high for babies. This can cause gastrointestinal bleeding and can result in anemia and poor growth (these problems are usually undetected until months later). Goat milk is also deficient in folic acid, which can lead to megaloblastic anemia. Also, infants who are allergic to cow's milk protein are often allergic to goat's milk too.

While it's true that whole goats milk (and whole cow's milk) was commonly used prior to the advent of infant formulas it is also true that the infant mortality and morbidity rate during the times of such substitutions was very high.

The composition and balance of nutrients in goat's milk is very inappropriate for babies, particularly young babies. It has a higher concentration of protein, chloride and potassium, which causes a dangerous load on the kidneys that can potentially lead to dehydration. It is also very low in folate.

NOW READ THIS!!!!!

This article refers to infants that are unable to be breastfed, or those being weaned from the breast. Breastfeeding remains the first choice in all other cases.

Goat's milk is the ideal food for babies, children and adults. Beneficial for the treatment of asthma, eczema, migraines, stomach ulcers, liver complaints and chronic catarrh, goat's milk also helps babies with colic, habitual vomiting and those not gaining weight.

How do you prepare an infant's feeds when using goat's milk? The simple procedure I use, has resulted in the rearing of many happy, healthy infants and has rendered complicated preparation instructions unnecessary. First, check that the milk production methods are hygienic, so that the milk can be given raw - that is, without heat treatment by boiling or pasteurisation. Goat's milk changes constitution when boiled. The curds are likely to be of different physical properties, the fat is apt to separate from the curds and the lactalbumin is coagulated or solidified to form a skin which may delay the rapid digestion - the most important advantage of goat's milk.

The almost universal recommendation by the medical profession to boil all milk fed to babies, is prompted by the fear of tuberculosis infection. I am confident that the danger of this is extremely minimal from milk obtained from healthy goats.

Correspondents have written to me for advice, being disappointed with the results of goat's milk they have boiled. To these and all the people using milk from a reliable source, I recommend they do not boil the goat's milk except when summer temperatures make it impossible to keep it cool, and then return to the fresh untreated milk as soon as practical.

There are a number of possible changes that take place on boiling the milk and even possibly on pasteurisation. Vitamin C levels may be depleted. Milk also carries with it certain unidentified substances which have the power of giving resistance to disease, and these may well be destroyed or changed. Little is known of these, but I am in favour of believing that they exist and act most favourably when not subjected to boiling.

Goat's milk is so readily digested by infants that I have found in a number of cases that, where the breast milk supply has been inadequate to satisfy the baby, full strength, unsweetened goat's milk can be given to make up. Feeding the milk from a spoon will not tempt the infant to wean itself on to the bottle. I have found that infants of working mothers have thrived on a midday feed of goat's milk, welcoming the return to mother's milk at the other feeds. This may not be the ideal, but the alternative use of cow's milk preparations have often resulted in refusal of the breast at the next feed.

Warm the milk to blood temperature by placing the bottle in hot water, and any recommended dilution is done by adding cold pre-boiled water.

When goat's milk is being used to overcome digestive upset from a cow's milk preparation, I recommend the first few feeds be given at half strength (half boiled water/half goat's milk) and, when all the clots of cow's milk have been passed downwards or vomited, the strength should be increased to two-thirds, then three-quarters, reaching full strength in two to three days' time. A suggested quantity per day would be 150 - 170 ml per kilo of body weight. Sweetening with honey or Demerara sugar'may be necessary when weaning, as breast milk is very sweet to taste and the infant would miss this. Quantity can readily be judged by taste, perhaps one or two level teaspoonfuls being tried in each feed at first. Mother and baby can usually sort this out between them!

It is possible for babies fed either on the breast or on goat's milk to develop an unusual type of anaemia due to a shortage of iron and folic acid in both human and goat's milk. I recommend these nutrients be given to your infant at this stage of life, in addition to the usual vitamin preparations. These defects are naturally overcome when the baby starts weaning onto mixed foods of broths and purees.

Many infants suffering digestive upsets from cow's milk have been switched to goat's milk at my recommendation, and in nearly every instance that the baby has not promptly improved, it has been necessary to admit the baby to hospital for surgical treatment of a physical narrowing of the far end of the stomach (congenital pyloric stenosis). Repeatedly have I found that infants which have failed to thrive for no apparent reason have regained health when given goat's milk, many cases with the child eventually weaning itself from all milk feeds when in full and normal health. Many of these infants have not tolerated cow's milk, possibly because it was either not palatable or it caused indigestion.

Summarising the usefulness of goat's milk for infants, I believe that fresh, raw, hygienically-produced, undiluted, slightly-sweetened, blood temperature goat's milk will overcome most digestive upsets and rear healthy strong infants to weaning stage and after - provided that the usual vitamin supplements are given. Iron and folic acid may be necessary when on milk alone but will be unnecessary after weaning. Infant feeding with goats milk is just so simple!

Goat's Milk:-

contains more minerals and vitamins than cow's milk
has smaller fat and protein particles, so is digested easier
is ideal for children with allergies to cows' milk
suffers no loss of vitamins due to pasteurisation
does not form excess mucus
contains ten times more natural fluorine than fresh cow's milk
contains 50% more vitamin B1, important for those with digestive upsets and rheumatism

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search