Dairy Under 12 months ?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM
MamaBx3
Is this ok ??

I'm getting mixed answers .. My dr says absolutly NO dairy products until over 12 months .. but girls from my PR are giving their babies yogurt ?
Any any answers ?
September 6th, 2006, 07:03 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is confusing isn't it and I don't really have an answer for you. I was told that things like cheese and yogurt were okay because it was processed (don't know really if that's the case). I would love to hear the actual reason bc I have wondered the same thing. We go to the ped. tomorrow--I will have to ask!

September 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
MamaBx3
Thanks !!
It's very confusing
September 6th, 2006, 08:58 AM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
I know it is very confusing. I have given Blaise ice cream & yogert. Not a whole lot at one time, but I have given it to him, and he has had no problem. He loves ice cream!!!!

September 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also heard that cheese and yougurt were ok because they are processed and cultured and things like that.

I have been giving Dylan Yo Baby yougurt but not very often. Once a week or once every two weeks. Id be curious to know the answer too!
September 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
yasmine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When and how can I introduce yogurt?

Yogurt may be introduced as early as 7 months old, (the typical age recommendation is 8 months old) depending on your baby’s pediatrician and your baby’s propensity to allergies. (Read our Yogurt Tips article or learn how to Make Your Own Homemade Yogurt!)

Yogurt is a great way for baby to get calcium and the “bacteria” in yogurt that is so good for our digestive systems.

Yogurt is also a great way for baby to get the fat that is so highly needed during baby’s first year.

The majority of yogurts on the market are made low fat or non fat. Whole Milk Organic yogurts are available (Stonyfield Farms makes one w/o any preservatives or sugar/sweeteners) and should be given.

Always read the labels and watch for added sugars, starches and other additives.

Why can I give my baby yogurt and cheeses but not whole cow’s milk?

Unlike Whole Cow Milk beverage, your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese. The medical community worries that if Whole Cow milk is introduced to an infant prior to 1 year old, that parents would stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use Milk as the replacement. This would possibly be dangerous to your baby's health!

Lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest; people with lactose intolerance often are be able to handle cheese and/or yogurt without trouble. The same is true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy.

Milk does not contain enough nutrients, vitamins or minerals for it to adequately sustain a growing infant. We are told to NOT give baby milk until after 1 year of age mostly because milk is NOT enough to meet all of baby's specific nutritional requirements during the first year of life. Babies should be on breast milk or formula or a combo of both until after 1 yr old. nd yogurt are ok prior to 1 year.

source

September 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Dylans_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!!!! That was a good article!
September 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
MamaBx3
Wow , thanks so much Yasmine !
September 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was awesome and answered a ton of questions! Thanks!

September 9th, 2006, 10:01 AM
yasmine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Although, I am afraid to give Kaitlyn yogurt because all the baby ones have added sugar, I believe. I am trying to avoid giving her things with sugar for as long as possible. I was concerned about giving her macaroni and cheese the other day because it has a lot of protein and I thought you were supposed to wait on that, but she was fine with it. She hates it though so I think I wont be giving it again. I can make my own macaroni and cheese and puree it and it will taste much better![/b]
You can give her plain yogurt with no sugar in it and then just mix some fruit in it so it has some flavor.Thats what Im gonna do

September 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my doc said the average age for yogurt and cheese is 9 months. She said it isnt the same as giving milk. I have to hold off on milk till 12 months because Cohen has eczema(in canada they ok giving milk at 9 months) but she said it was best to allergy test him with yogurt and cheese and it hasnt affected his exzema at all.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

September 11th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Dono92000
I didn't read the whole thing, but I know this was one thing I read. They recommend you don't give the milk to them before because mothers who start milk early usually cut back on the formula too soon and that's what the docs are most concerned about. They want to make sure they are getting full formula for a year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search