Question about cereal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
JIAs Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey - Kinda gotta a question.

My youngest Aiden will turn 3 months old this weekend and I want to try feeding him some cereal.. is this waaaay to soon?

He's formula fed right now but he goes thru so much that we just can't keep up and we are even on wic and still have to buy tons xtra.... I would like to try to suppliment at least one meal with some cereal mixed with formula in hopes that it will fill his tummy more...

Is it too soon for this though???

Thanks girlies!

September 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
I started Blaise on cereal at 1 month. I know they say don't start cereal until 4 months, but everyone I know started cereal way early. My mom actually started me & my sister on cereal at 2 weeks. I know a lot of people that started cereal at 2 weeks. My Dr. asked me was Blaise on cereal at his 2 month check up, and I told her yes. She said that is good. She said I would rather see a healthy chubby baby, than a skinny baby. She also told me she started her babies on cereal at 2 weeks.

But anyway, I started Blaise at 2 weeks, and he didn't really take it, so I tried again at 1 month, and he loved it. So he has been on cereal since he was 1 month. When I started cereal, I would only give him cereal in his bottle right before bed. About 4 months I started adding 1 jar of applesauce to his cereal. At 5 months I started giving him cereal w/applesauce for breakfast, and his night time bottle. And he is 7 months now, and still on that same schedule. Actually those are the only 2 bottles he gets now. During the day he eats baby food & drinks out of a sippy cup. I hope this helps you.

September 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
I stared Preston on cereal at 4 1/2 months. A good piece of advice (IMO and my PED's): Offer it from a spoon!!! DON'T stick it in a bottle!!!!

September 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dono92000
We started cereal in the bottle at about 2 or 3 months old. My Ped told me to put it in the bottle. He wouldn't stay asleep for more than an hour at a time and he wanted to eat every hour during the day. My Ped said a bit of cereal might help him sleep a little better and get more on an eating schedule. I started giving him the cereal in his bottle at night and it did help. I had to switch bottles though becaue I needed a different nipple. I now use playtex vent air. I never added it to his bottles during the day because as soon as I got him on the new nipples he was a changed baby! LOL I think the gerber bottles were letting him take in too much air and filled his belly up and the vent air he started actually taking a 4oz bottle. We had no problems switching to a spoon. He got the hang of it about 4 months old. He still gets rice cereal in his bedtime bottle. Otherwise he'd be up every 2 hours! With just a bit of the cereal he sleeps through the night. I'm going to ask the doc next time we go for a checkup though about the fact that he still seems to need it at night. I hate to spoon feed him before bed because I have just bathed him!
September 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM
2boys+alittlelady2luv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started Connor on Cereal off a spoon at 3 months. It took him a couple of days to catch on. Just start with cereal that is really runny. When you make it according to the directions on the box, it may seem way to runny, but babies at this age don't know how to eat off a spoon yet, so most of the time they will just suck it. Once he gets the hang of eating off the spoon you can start making it a little thincker. I agree that I wouldn't give cereal in a bottle unless it is recommended by your Dr.

Good Luck!!!

September 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM
veronica_atx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to veronica_atx
i actually started my son on cereal 2 nights ago. i did give it to him in a bottle. he like it and slept the whole night. he didn't even want to get up in the morning to go to his grandmas house. i woke him up, he smiled, and fell back asleep. Theres nothing wrong with giving him/her cereal in a bottle.
September 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Super Mommy
I tried starting my son on cereal at 3 months with a spoon cause I didnt want to put it in his bottle. He didnt like it at all so I figured I would wait a while before trying again. He is now 4 1/2 months and I just started again and he loves it. Just follow your baby's cues.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search