Help making own baby food

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, I want to make my own baby food but I really don't know where to start. I have tons of questions...
do you freeze it?
What containers do you use for freezing?

Please just walk me through it like I don't know anything.
Thanks a ton ladies!!!
September 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
My PED said the best thing to do is STEAM veggies and BAKE fruits. You just puree it and stick them in ice trays and 1 cube is 1 serving. Just mash it down with a fork and add a little of the water that came from the steaming and make it to the consistancy you like. My PED said to do GREEN veggies, YELLOW veggies, then ORANGE veggies. After all veggies THEN introduce fruits. Each PED is different though. I will follow my PED's guidelines.

Oh yeah, pop a cube out of the ice tray and microwave for a few seconds and serve. You can freeze homeade baby food for 1 month. Just mark on the tray when you made it. I am starting peas on Thursday. It will be our first veggie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I peel then steam whatever I'm making. Then puree it in the food processor, adding water from the steamer to make the consistency thinner (except for carrots, I use regular water for that as the carrot water supposedly has nitrates in it, which isn't that great for babies).

When it's all pureed, I spoon it into ice cube trays. I measured our trays so I know each cube is 1tbsp. Then I put saran wrap over them, stick them in the fridge to let them cool off a bit, then into the freezer. The next day when the cubes are good and frozen I transfer them to labelled freezer ziploc bags. I write what's in it and the date I made it. Then I stick the bag in the deep freeze, where they're good for 3 months.

ETA: I take the cubes out the night before and put them in a sealed tupperware container and stick them in the fridge where they thaw out.
September 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, this is my first pregnancy and I'm not due until April so I have a while to learn.
What do you all use to puree? Food mill, food processor, blender...
Also do you have to wrap the cubes before you put them in the bag or will they be ok unwrapped?

I am so excited to do this!
September 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
I'm sure if you just put them in a baggie it will okay. I don't think you have to wrap each one.

Good idea about thawing them out. I'll do that.

September 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I just put them in the freezer ziploc baggies and they've been fine.

I had a small 3 cup food processor that I use. It's nice and small so I can just keep it out on the counter and use it whenever I need to.
September 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Regular
I have a question too! I just started making my own food. Is there any that you cannot freeze? I was thinking apples might not work?

Thanks!
September 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Apples have worked fine for me!! Bananas don't freeze well, and I don't think avocado does either (I've done the avocado, but it turns colour while in the freezer).
October 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Regular
Ladies,

I don't want to interfere into your conversation but ...

While doing research for our site, my wife has found and shown me this site, which was't related in anyway to what we were looking for but we have bookmarked it for future use.

I think it might help many of your questions, and we are not affiliated with them in any way, just a good resource that you might find helpful:

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/
October 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the link, that looks like a great site! Lots of neat recipes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search