New here and some food questions!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dakota will be 6 months tomorrow but has been eating solids since 4 months. She was at one point trying to eat over 30oz of formula a day, the Ped agreed she could start solids. Well now, she is on stage2 foods and has tried pretty much all the varieties (Except anything with berries in it and NO meats). She is a good size baby, shes in 12 month clothing size lol

She eats 3 meals a day...

2 tbs oatmeal mixed with water, along with 1/2 stage 2 fruit and 2oz of juice/water mixed
1 Stage2 jar of veggies and half a Stage2 fruit along with 2oz juice/water
1 Stage2 jar of fruit and half a Stage2 veggie along with 2oz juice/water

She also drinks 4 6oz bottles a day (24oz).

Not only does she eat the baby food but a few days ago we introduced cheerios and those fruit puffs (the ones that recommend you wait until they can crawl). She chews them like a pro and has no problem with them at all. I only offer them to her in her high chair only. I wont give them to her if she isn't sitting in her chair.

Here is my issue. Since I have introduced the cheerios and puffs to her, it seems that her baby food isn't thick enough for her. I mixed alot of rice cereal in with her dinner today and she ate them great. It was alot thicker than her morning cereal, I thought it would be too thick for her but she loved it! Both yesterday and today it seems like she is having a hard time just swallowing it, its like she wants to chew it but cant because its too thin (am I making any sense??).

Anyway, my question is, when do I up her to stage3 and exactly what is the difference between stage2 and stage3 other than size? Should I just continue to mix her veggies and fruit with rice cereal, that wont hurt right?

Sorry for such a long post, I just cant stop thinking about it haha

September 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM
pjcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pjcherry Send a message via MSN to pjcherry Send a message via Yahoo to pjcherry
, the differance is stage 2 & 3 is that it is a lot lumper and his pieces you can see in it. i will be swiching Emery soon to stage 3, he is chewing a lot better.
September 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM
2boys+alittlelady2luv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mixing her food with Cereal won't hurt her at all. In fact she is getting more nutirents out of it that way. I would say try it. Buy a jar or 2 of stage three foods and see if she like it. If she can eat it fine with out choking I would say go ahead and switch. I personally haven't started Connor on Stage 3 yet, but that is because I want to use up my stage 2's first. Hope this helps some

Edited to say: Oh Yeah, Welcome!!!

September 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The single ingredient Stage 3's are pretty much the same. The mixed ingredient ones have small chunks. You can pretty much try them whenever you think your baby is ready (Troy is 9 months and not a fan, but a friend of mine had her baby on them at 6 months.)

September 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Dono92000
I have had the same problem this week!@ He finally got the hang of the puffs and small bits of fruit and stuff and how he fusses when I try to feed him stage 2 veggies. I'm going to go to the store today or tomorrow and get a few stage 3 and see how he does. He wants to chew his food! He's got 2 teeth and he is 7 1/2 months old.
September 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
Welcome!!

It will not hurt putting cereal in the baby food. I agree with what everyone esle said, Stage 3's are bigger jars, and they have chunks in them. I have gave Blaise a few things in the Stage 3 jars, and really couldn't tell a lot of difference. But if you think she is wanting to chew her food, then go ahead and try stage 3 jars. Blaise is 7 months and he has 5 teeth!

September 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
AWww thank you ladies for the responses and the warm welcomes! Solid foods and infants are always a touchy subject so I was sort of afraid someone would disagree with what dakota is eating, how much she is eating, and what stage I am giving her. I know every baby is different though (although when I read about babies that are older than Dakota who are eating less, I sometimes wonder if I am creating a monster ).

Dono, please let me know how the stage 3 veggies go! It seems we are only having a problem with the veggies, the fruit she is eating just fine, I think because its a little thicker than the veggies in general.

As for teeth, she has her two top canines poking through the gums (I can only see the big white buldges on the side of her gums but I can feel the points through), but other than that, no teeth! The doctor said that her top gums were filled with teeth, just a matter of time before they come through... but her bottom ones seem to not even be close yet! I know, she is an oddball, a vampire wanna be I will have to get a video of her face when she is eating a fruit puff. It is like she is so freakin proud of herself, shes gunna smile herself to death!

September 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Dono92000
Well, we tried several things tonight. I don't know what to do with this kid! First I tried some real veggies. He wants to chew and feed himself. So since he likes peas and carros, I cooked him up some frozed peas and carrots. I gave a few to him and he popped them in his mouth and gave the most aweful look and about gagged like he'd just tasted dirt or something! ???? So then we tried a stage 3 jar. I bought some of the dinners, thought m aybe he just wants some new flavors. I fed him potato/carrot/beef. I tasted it and it basically tasted like vegetable beef soup without the salt. Was pretty tasty. He STILL fussed and squirmed and tried his hardest to take the spoon from me. He's not able to feed himself yet with a spoon!!! I finally got him to settle down and then he ate the entire jar! Wow, never seen the kid eat that much. So I have no idea what to do. He seems to like his cereal ok, I think it's because of the texture. It's lunchtime veggies we're fighting with. I don't know what to do! I'm tempted to add cereal to his veggie at lunch to see if he tolerates it better, wether it be the texture or just me feeding him that he doesn't like. *sigh* We'll see how it goes the next couple days. I think I'm going to also post this as a new topic and see what everyone has to say about how to handle his eating! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search