How many people make their own baby food?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2004, 06:53 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
I am planning on doing this with Nathan. Pre-made baby food is too high in sodium and several other things that we need to watch with his heart.

How hard is it?? Has anyone made their own canned baby food???

I'm trying to get into a healthier diet for Ella also....I've started using pre-made stuff as a back up, but have been making things that Ella can eat when I prepare meals.

Does anyone else do this??? Please I need hints and pointers!!!
October 28th, 2004, 04:12 AM
zonapellucida
I make my own. Very simple if you have a food processor. Bananas don't have to be cooked--just make sure they are super ripe and squish. For vegetables I processed mine adding a bit of the steaming water if necessary and spooning into ice cube trays. Cover with plastic wrap then, when frozen, transfer to a freezer bag and label. Each ice cube is about 2 oz. Sweet potatoes, I baked then processsed with filtered water. Apples and pears need cooking too. I JUST threw out sweet ptoato and mixed bveggie cubes when I cleaned out my freezer, lol.
October 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
i make mine the same way Heidi does. I like the new gerber plastic containers w/ the lids. so when i bought baby food i always stocked up on these and when they were empty used them for the baby food i made and just threw them in the freezer. they work great and are easy for on the go too. I had to watch bryce's sodium to b/c of his kidneys so i used all fresh and frozen fruits and veggies w/ kyndal and alayna i did not have to worry so much about it and the doc said it was ok to use canned stuff. i just didn't do it all the time. Just when i was feeling real lazy.
kelly
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
November 1st, 2004, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I did with the boys, but not until they were about 5-6 months. They weren't eating that much, so I didn't bother. But then it got really expensive with two mouths to feed. When I started making my own though boy did they start eating better! It tastes a lot better. I would make in bulk. Like i would bake 10 sweet potatoes (I was feeding two though), then I would put it in the food processor, add a little water. I too had tons of the gerber fruit with the lids, and would put it in there and freeze those. But you can it in ice cube trays and freeze, I did that too. After frozen pop them out and put them in freezer bags. They last up to 3 months. Then when its time for baby to eat you take out what you need. Just as convenient as the store bought kind that way. I got myself a good baby food cookbook. If you decide to get one I suggest you go to the bookstore so you can check it out before you buy. I have Mommy Made and Daddy Too. Some of the recipes are a little too out there (sea kelp) but it gave me some good ideas (mixing different vegetables with pastas and stuff) and goes to the toddler years. It also is good about telling you at what age to introduce certain foods. Some of it is a little simplistic, cook and puree. well duh. but I still thought it was worth it.

Also I bought bags of frozen, unsweetened fruit (mainly peaches) and cooked and pureed. Getting fresh peaches isn't always possible, but they had peaches all year round. When they were older I added finely chopped chicken to the peaches and apples, like the baby food jars. They ate it well.
November 2nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
I think you are right. I think they do like the homemade stuff better. Kyndal would not eat anything she seen coming out of a baby food jar. I had to have dh distract her and sneak the contents of the jar into a bowl. The only thing that alayna would not eat was pureed mac n cheese. not bad!
Kelly
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
January 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Veteran
I also freeze food for our baby in ice cube trays. I've been making her food since we introduced her to solids around 6 months (other than rice cereal after 5 months). I decided to do this after attending my monthly pre/post-natal nutrition class. In the class we cooked various foods to have a taste test with commercial foods. After tasting the difference I thought that my daughter might like homemade baby food better.
We've only had to give her jar food when we've had emergencies, like when we've been out shopping too long and didn't bring any food for her. We also fed her jar food when we went to Mexico because we didn't have access to cooking equipment and a freezer.
It takes a little time to make the food, but I think that the flavour is better.
Expecting #2 in October
March 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
i did this a few times with jayden i will do it a lot more this time when austin starts on solids since i know more...
xoxo, Tiffany

March 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM
>I think they do like the homemade stuff better.

Definitely, don't we

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search