Baby rice making him gassy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Ross is showing all the signs of needing more than milk, although he's only just 4.5 mths he is over 18 pounds and is a big eater.

I've given Ross minimum baby rice: 2.5ml spoon of rice powder in 15 ml of milk and then he only gets 2 spoons of the mixture. The problem is it makes him very gassy, he's uncomfortable about 4 hrs after the rice and producing bottom end wind.

Should I keep going with mimumum amounts or is there something else I could try?

August 11th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I found that Lily got really gassy whenever we started a new food, it took her a little while to get used to it. He is only 4.5 months old, so his digestive system may not be ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula. But if you think he is ready, then I'd say keep giving him a little at a time, and he will get used to it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for that, he's much better now, and happily taking a few different foods . He's over 20lb and big for his age, everyone is happy that he's ready.

Another question, he is cutting down on milk, but I don't want him to cut down too quickly, I have only been giving him small amounts of veg and baby rice although he would take more. How much is the right amount? the books say that he will turn his head away when he has had enough, but I don't want to give him that much as I know he would full himself up with puree pear and baby rice (also, carrot, sweet potato and parsnip).

He is happily taking plain boiled water from a non-spill beaker (Avent) and also feeding himself if I give him a loaded spoon. He also managed to suck at a rusk for a while this afternoon (I hoped it would make him thirsty - I'm not sure it did).

I'm not pushing him, he started refusing a normal bottle at 3 mths and reached out for the spoon almost straight away - he's had Gaviscon from a spoon for reflux since he was 6 weeks old so he's a pro now.

September 5th, 2005, 07:24 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if he's showing signs of wanting more food than you shoudl give him more food. He'll turn his head away, spit food out, or cry if he doesn't want anymore. My daugher was the same way, I put her on whole milk at like 9-10 months old, she was eatting 3 meals a day, sometimes up to two stage 3 jars of food at one sitting! She was just a big eatter, nothing wrong with that! My son now is the opposite, he's almost 9 months old and i'm lucky if I can get 1 stage 2 jar down him a day! I would just feed her to contment at this point, she's too young to worry about her overeatting.

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

September 5th, 2005, 07:25 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry I said "her" and "she" when I went back and read your post I realized you have a boy! Sorry about that! I hope he's doing well with his eatting!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search