HELP!!!!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
kikimama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kikimama Send a message via Yahoo to kikimama
Ty seems like he is soooo hungry all the time. He is eating almost 8oz at every feeding( about every 3 hrs). We just bought a fresh can and opened it late fri and it is more than half gone already!!! We arent suposed to start cereal till after his 6 month apt in Jan. What should I do? Start him on cereal now anyway and not tell the doc or just let him pig out on the formula!!! ahhhhhh HELP!!! Thanks
December 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You are going to get a variety of answers, but here is what I did with my kids.

When I noticed their hunger skyrocketing, I started cereal. Mine started at 4 months. I started fruits around 6-7 months. The first cereal was runny so it kindof slid down their throats. Once they got the hang of how that tongue works, they were pros.

Do what you feel is necessary.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
December 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd start the cereal. I have read and was told by my dr that is ok to start cereal then solids between 4-6 months. My Ty started at 4 months and there's nothing wrong with him. Cereal is a whole lot cheaper and more satisfying that formula.

December 6th, 2004, 11:30 AM
CindyLou
My DR said 6 months but Elias was on cereal at 4months and veggies at 5 months. Use your own descretion (sp) You are the mommy and you know best!!!!
December 6th, 2004, 01:47 PM
cowboysangel
Started Alexander on cereal at four months also, but was kinda nervous about spoon and stuff so I just cut a bigger whole in one of his nipples, mixed a little cereal with his formula and went from there. Worked great for me.
December 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
I personally would stick it out with the formula. It's only 3 more weeks. I know it's expensive, but it should be the staple of his diet until he's a year old. Cereal has much less calories and fat and nutrients than the formula. Same goes for fruits & veggies. Solids should only be for learning textures and tastes, not for nutrition.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics/World Health Organization recommendations for starting solids at 6 months or later has no exceptions for babies who weigh more. The research that I've seen on the health benefits of starting solids at 6 months and later holds for all babies, no matter what their weight.

It's the maturity of the digestive tract and baby's developmental readiness that makes the difference, not baby's weight."

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/s...#earlyreadiness

I realize this talks about weight and it came from a breastfeeding source, but I'm having problems navigating the aap.org site today (their site really sucks, it's like they don't want you to get information! UGH!) Anyhoo, here's where I got it from and it's a great site. It is about breastfeeding, but thes ame information applies to formula fed infants. The aap used to have different guidelines for bf and ff babies, but has recently updated their book that ALL babies should not (edited because i said not should LOL I can't type & think at the same time) start solids before 6 months,a nd sometimes further delay is necessary. I wonder how many doctors are given this information with the research behind it. And, if they are getting the information, why they aren't following the guildelines of their parent group?

I hope this helps. I started my big kids early, and have asthma. It may or may nto have had anythign to do with it. Digestively, they are ok, but that's anectdotal at best. When we know better, we do better.........

JMHO
December 7th, 2004, 08:57 AM
I Heart 4x4
Back when Danny was that age, he was eating us out of house and home (oh heck, who am I kidding, he still is!) ... I was talking about it with a friend of mine, who told me she had the same problem with her daughter and that she put some cereal into the bottle mixed with the formula to make it thicker and then cut the tip of the bottle a little bigger. I tried it and it worked, because Danny would have nothing to do with spoons. I think I started giving Danny cereal with his formula at like 5 months. I know I waited until he was 6 months to start veggies.

((((hugs))))
December 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i gave ashton cereal at 3 months inthe morning and before he went to bed. it helped alot. he slept all night and having breakfast kind of helped him not be so hungry during the day. i made it really runny and they have cereal bottles because ashton was not ready to eat out of a spoon. i started him at about 5 months on jar food. his first feeding i got a big jar of food out and the kid ate a size 3 jar half of another size 3 jar and two size two jars. after that i started him on the jar dinners. he ate like one of those and a size 2 jar of fruit for lunch.

December 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started all 3 of my kids on cereal early. Way before the doctor wanted them to be on anything. They were fine.

December 11th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Our doctor suggester starting cereal at 5 months and then fruits and veggies at 6 months.... and I had every intention of waiting that long..... but DD Lily had other ideas. She went from waking up once a night to waking up like 3 or 4 times a night and eating every 2-3 hours during the day. Since I breastfeed, it was getting hard to keep up with her. I decided to try a little cereal at about 4 1/2 months. I don't give a full serving or anything, she gets like 2 tablespoons twice a day and she is much happier, my breasts are much happier, and I think we made the right decision.
Every baby is different and will start solids at different times.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Every baby is different!! Owen unfortantly started cereal at 2 months in his bottle because of reflux...it was the only way he would keep it down. But, he gained a ton of weight at the same time.

I would start ty now on cereal and see how it goes. NOT IN THE BOTTLE!! That's soooo bad. It's hard to get them off of it! Trust me! But, just offer it and use your Mommy instincts!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search