When do you start spoon feeding?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2005, 08:38 PM
thisgoodnight's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just curious. I'm a first time mom and have no idea about anything other than formula. When you start cereal (when do you do that by the way?) I know you start it out in the bottle mixed with the formula, but when do you start with feeding off the spoon? Also, do you do this first with cereal, then baby food? Or both at the same time? Fill me in please!
WTTC #3 July 2010
September 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
I was told never to put cereal in a bottle.. It is a choking hazard... www.gerber.com has tips on when to tell a baby is ready for cereal and baby food.. A doctor usually recommends them be at least 4 months of age.. This way their digestive track is a little more developed and the are less likely to develop food allergies..

First start off with Rice cereal and give that for a while. Then upgrade to Oatmeal.. Next move onto veggies... Try one new thing at a time and wait 5 to 7 days before trying another food.. This way if baby has an allergic reaction it will be easier to pinpoint... Then move to fruits... The doctor told me that not to give a baby food with meat in it until they were at least 8 months old...

Go here and it will tell you all you need to know

http://www.chop.edu/consumer/your_child/co...ex.jsp?id=-9556
September 11th, 2005, 06:05 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree completely with Cyndee. I know your baby was a preemie so you might want to wait til he's 5-6m old before you start food. I was also told that cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard. Alot of people do it because they think it'll make the baby sleep longer. I disagree. It didnt work for my son and he had a horrible time trying to drink it.

September 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM
thisgoodnight's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son wasn't a preemie. He was born at 37 weeks. He was so small because he had IUGR. Anyway, thanks for the info ladies! I'm in no rush to start him on that stuff, I'm just curious as to when I will be starting him.
WTTC #3 July 2010
September 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Missy's Avatar Super Mommy
We are in the 3rd month, and I had the same questions! I hope for the "go ahead" at the Ped's appointment at the end of the month. Then we will start on spoon only, but isnt it soupy? How do you mix it? how often should he get it?

My babys web site www.SethEarle.com His dad just couldn't help himself!
September 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by skytza@Sep 11 2005, 11:12 AM
My son wasn't a preemie.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Opps SORRY

September 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You should wait as long as possible. 6 months is a perfect age to start baby cereal. Starting too soon can cause allergies later in life.

Cyndee gave some great advice! Try everything one at a time and watch for reactions for a few days to a week to be sure.

</div>
September 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage&#39;s_Mommy
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search