Thoughts on a December baby?

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
I am 99.9% sure I am out this month. I took another test this afternoon BFN. AF is due today or Tom. Just waiting for her to show. I am sad, and will start bawling when AF shows.

Had a talk with DH last night, I think he is up for NTNP (we all know I will be TTC, lol)

Sooo, what are your thoughts on a Dec Baby?

If my period starts on time in the next day then I would be due around Dec 21st if I were to get prego.

IDK how I feel about this?? I want to try a VBAC but will end up in a repeat csection if something doesnt work out. So with my luck I would end up being in the hospital on Christmas. But I am sure it wouldnt matter since I will have a Christmas baby in my arms.

And of course the kid would get jipped on xmas/bday gifts.

What do you think. Should we skip this month? I hate decisions...

I will still be here no matter which way I decide.

March 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
(not so patiently) WTTC
I think it would suck to be a Dec. baby! Our neighbor's son was born on Christmas and they can never do anything on his b-day since everything is closed. Mom was not too happy about it either (happy to have a baby, but bummer on Christmas).

Buuuuut, ultimatly it's up to you and daddy
March 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really do not want to have a December baby because of Christmas. DD was born 11 days after Christmas in January and I still have a hard time with that sometimes. This year my boyfriend's family did Christmas and her birthday on the same day. They live 15 hours away and come out for her birthday, but held off on Christmas as well, because they just HAD to watch her open ALL her presents, whereas my parents shipped her Christmas stuff and came for her party. Next year, I am going to make a distinction between her birthday and Christmas. I want her to have 2 special days just like most other kids.

Anyway...... WTTC is making me a bit depressed and I had a couple of breakdowns over the weekend. My boyfriend told me we don't have to wait anymore and when I am truly ready we can start. I really don't want a December baby (I just don't think it's fair for the baby JMO), but if we try on my next cycle that is when the baby will be due. So I have to wait at least one more cycle. ***sigh***

March 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Effyx's Avatar Veteran
I had a friend whose birthday was on Christmas Eve. Her family always celebrated her half birthday or un-birthday on June 24th. There was never any competition with Christmas, and she didn't feel like she missed out on anything.
March 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a m/c right before I got pregnant with Christian and my due date was Christmas day. It didn't bother me at all because I would have made sure that my child had just a special birthday as my other two do. I could see where that month would make some people wait, though!!

=May '05 and '11

March 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
Gabriella was due in January but was born Dec. 29th. I always said the one week of the year I didn't want a baby was the week between Christmas and New Years but here she is Honestly, it worked fine this year, We had her party after the holidays in January. On her birthday we did a small family celebration, Cake, presents etc. I think as long as you keep the birthday and holidays seperate it isn't a problem. We didn't have anyone combine gifts etc. I also sent out her party invites before the holiday so that everyone knew there would be a party and that they wouldn't combine gifts.
Really November, December and January birthdays have the chance of being blended into the holidays. Just be sure to keep them seperate and everyone else should follow.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
March 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
My beautiful baby boy was born December 26th 2009. When he had his first birthday, we celebrated Christmas AND his birthday! I wouldn't allow for him to be over shadowed. I LOVE having a Christmas-y baby!!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
TTC #1
I would love a December baby! I was born on New Year's Eve, and love having my birthday near the holiday. I always joke that everyone has party lights on for me.
March 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Super Mommy
I'm SO glad that I'm not a December baby and I really hope that I don't ever have a december baby. Sure we all just want a healthy baby, yadda yadda yadda but if we have any control over when that healthy baby arrives, I do NOT want it be in December.

My sister has 2 December babies, one born Dec 22 2009, the other born Dec 20 2010. Yup you read that right. And she hated the thought of being in the hospital over christmas, and even though she had them ahead of time and thankfully made it home (snowstorm), she was incredibly exhausted for the holidays. Now she's got 2 sons that will be sharing their birthdays with the all the chaos of the holidays.

Definitely would not be my first choice. I will avoid ttc to prevent having a December baby, and an August baby.
March 8th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Two for More's Avatar Veteran
Our timing for when to try is mostly because of DH's job, but also because I want to do everything I can to avoid a baby born during the busy holiday season and also to avoid being cooped up in the house with an infant during the coldest months of the year. So that knocks out November, December, January and February for me.

Sometimes I feel like it's silly to avoid any months if we're trying for a baby, but then I think about future kid's birthdays and how not only would they have to compete with major US holidays, but also there would be a strong chance that DH would be really busy with his job and we'd have to postpone a birthday celebration for another day. Right now, DH's busy work season is from September to April, so that includes tons of major holidays as well as both his and my birthday. I think our kids would appreciate having a little separation and getting to celebrate birthdays in the late spring to early fall.

With regards to the December birthday thing, I do have to say I think the kids suffer just a little bit in that the attention they would otherwise get for their birthday is downplayed a bit because of the holiday. My parents' birthdays are just before Thanksgiving and Christmas and DH's is just after Christmas -- not that birthdays are super huge in our families, but they'll all admit that sometimes things get lost in the shuffle with those two major holidays. I don't see any need to throw one more birthday in the mix if we can avoid it.

At the same time, knowing how disappointed I was when my period showed up last month, I will welcome a surprise baby due in any month with open arms and DH and I will just do what we can to make sure the future kid didn't get the short end of the stick when it came to birthdays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effyx View Post
I had a friend whose birthday was on Christmas Eve. Her family always celebrated her half birthday or un-birthday on June 24th. There was never any competition with Christmas, and she didn't feel like she missed out on anything.
I LOVE that idea! Never heard of it, but I think it's the perfect solution!

Hmmm... you are totally making me rethink the whole 'waiting to try because of DH's job' thing...

Happily married, and waiting to try

March 8th, 2011, 01:34 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The baby I miscarried was due Dec 21. What I think is people need to stop being particular about wich months their baby's are born and what gender they get. Not saying its you but I see this a lot and for people who are having trouble TTC, or have to go through a lot of procedures to get pregnant its kind of a turn off to see people picky about things like this when for us all we want is a child even if it were born with blue skin we would still appreciate so much whatever we are blessed with. Its just my feeling that date of birth is so irrelavent. This will be your bundle of joy so what else could matter more and the child will be getting the gift of life so who cares when they are born!

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

March 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
The baby I miscarried was due Dec 21. What I think is people need to stop being particular about wich months their baby's are born and what gender they get. Not saying its you but I see this a lot and for people who are having trouble TTC, or have to go through a lot of procedures to get pregnant its kind of a turn off to see people picky about things like this when for us all we want is a child even if it were born with blue skin we would still appreciate so much whatever we are blessed with. Its just my feeling that date of birth is so irrelavent. This will be your bundle of joy so what else could matter more and the child will be getting the gift of life so who cares when they are born!
I'm sure it's different for those who do have fertility problems to look at things differently, but I can't believe that prior to finding out that it was gonna become such a struggle that they too didn't have thoughts on when they'd hoped to conceive. People have their reasons, and who is to judge them for that. I mean, people take birth control to prevent, and then for their own reasons decide when to start ttc, so it's really no different. Like I said before, it's pretty obvious that we ALL just want a healthy baby, boy or girl.
March 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
As a person like Nicole who is having issues TTC, I can understand her frustration. I just want a child and don't care when he/she would be born.

However, if I had a choice I would not want a holiday baby either. My SIL is a V-day baby and she says she gets gypped on gifts and recognition all the time. She gets one gift not two. Now personally I am sick of 25 year old grown woman being so shallow but I see it is based on child hood experiences.

I would like March, April or June baby personally. To many May and July Birthday's. My mum passed in May as well. Both Grandmother and GR-grandmother passed in Dec, Gr-Granda pasted in Feb. My kids and reconize these days even after 15 years.

I don't think I will get my March or April as that is 4-5 cycles away and I don't even have a TR date yet. June is 7 cycles away so maybe that might work, but even that is cutting is close. I just presonally can't wait until I get the TR and the all clear to start trying.
March 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Ya I get what everyone is saying! If we had fertility issues, I am sure my thought process would be a lil diff.

I hope AF shows! She was due yesterday or today. Still a BFN. I want it to start b/c usually once it does, my baby fever goes away LOL

March 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I think I would personally try to avoid having a December baby. There's just so much going on and I personally wouldn't want my birthday during that time. However, if at this time next year we're having issues and not pregnant yet, I think I would have a hard time giving up another month. I'm not sure, that's a tough one. It's like you wait so long and then you're finally to that point, it would be hard to push it off another month. But anyway, good luck!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

March 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My bday is a week before Christmas. It doesn't bother me anymore, but when I was younger it really did. Getting combo gifts when you're just a little kid sucks! And its really NOT the present, its more that you're not important, or special enough to have your own celebration. (Thats how I felt)

I have 5 siblings (2 sisters and 3 brothers) and thier bdays were BIG deals. My parents really tried to make mine a big deal as well but when you have a big family its easy to get caught up in Christmas and forgotten. My parents never forgot (of course) but my aunts, uncles and grandparents did. Again no big deal now but when you are a kid it sucks to feel forgotten about!

Wow! Proof reading that makes me sound very bitter!! Maybe I should talk to a therapist about it=) j/k!!

Overall I agree that you shouldn't necessarily aviod a December baby but you should try extra hard to seperate the holidays with his/her bday. I really love the half bday idea!!
March 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capns Girl View Post
My bday is a week before Christmas. It doesn't bother me anymore, but when I was younger it really did. Getting combo gifts when you're just a little kid sucks! And its really NOT the present, its more that you're not important, or special enough to have your own celebration. (Thats how I felt)

I have 5 siblings (2 sisters and 3 brothers) and thier bdays were BIG deals. My parents really tried to make mine a big deal as well but when you have a big family its easy to get caught up in Christmas and forgotten. My parents never forgot (of course) but my aunts, uncles and grandparents did. Again no big deal now but when you are a kid it sucks to feel forgotten about!

Wow! Proof reading that makes me sound very bitter!! Maybe I should talk to a therapist about it=) j/k!!

Overall I agree that you shouldn't necessarily aviod a December baby but you should try extra hard to seperate the holidays with his/her bday. I really love the half bday idea!!
That is my issue with having a baby around Christmas. I made sure that everyone wrapped her birthday presents in BIRTHDAY paper and I am going to have to continue to make sure people celebrate BOTH days for her, because I am sure the older she gets the more people will "forget" or short change her birthday.

We all want healthy, happy babies and in the end the birthday does not matter, but I want the best for my kids (as all parents do) and having a birthday around Christmas can be really hard on a kid, which is why I would like to avoid it. I would not CHOOSE to have a baby during that time, but if it happens on accident (which is what happened with DD), then I can't really do anything about it. If I were having fertility problems, I also probably wouldn't pass up a cycle either and would probably be more willing to voluntarily have a baby that time of year.

March 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally find December to be so stressful without having any children with birthdays in that month. I don't think I would want to plan a birthday party on top of all the stress I typically have. The idea of having a child between Thanksgiving and Christmas makes me into a ball of nerves.
March 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont know I guess Im differant. I dont think life is about what you can get in life or birthday presents. Who cares about presents. I dont care so much for material things. I care about having my family and loving God and focusing on that. Live for Jesus and not the things of this world. I have a son whose birthday is early January and yes he probably gets a little presents but who cares! Yes I get him presents but I care more about teaching him what is really important in life and not focusing on superficial things. Money and things does not bring happiness. I know this because I used to buy so many things and I was no happier than I am now that I buy few things. I mean yes people have a right to choose when to conceive but their is a holiday every month and if you want to avoid a holiday because your child might get less presents or less of a birthday well there are more important things in life than that. I have ZERO preferences for my future children. It will be in God's time, when he chooses their birthday, and wichever child I get will be perfect because he created him/her.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

March 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
AmandaR
After having losses, I was extremely thankful for my December baby. I was due the 21st.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search