OPKs!

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
When I got pregnant with Finn I used the cheap strips and Clearblue Digital to pinpoint ovulation. We also used Preseed. I got pregnant on the first try.
I'll be taking the pill until January and I'm breastfeeding. Do you think I should buy the strips to see if I will ovulate right away in January?
Is it wise to wait a month after before TTC? A lot of people informed me that it is much more difficult to get pregnant the second time around. Is there any truth to this?

October 18th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about most of this, but I do know that OPK's can be misleading. They detect the LH surge that comes right before ovulation, but you can have the LH surge without ovulation.
The only way to tell for sure that you have ovulated without going to a doctor is by charting your basal body temperature. Just this last cycle my body tried to ovulate the first time( I got pos. OPK's and all the other signs of ovulation), but then I didn't ovulate. I ended up ovulating like two weeks later. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't been charting BBT's.
Just a heads up that if you expect your hormones to be off for a while because of breasteeding and the pill the OPK's will only tell you about the LH surge and not that you are definately going to ovulate. So if an attempt at ovulation is unsuccessfull you would think you had ovulated when you hadn't .
October 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Oh goodness! I guess I'm going to have to learn to chart my BBT. Any tips on how to do that?

October 18th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's very easy.
There is a lot of good info in Fertility friend which is online and free. The book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is the best resource out there. These both go through taking your temperature, as well as charting CM and what all is happening throughout your cycles.
THe very basic of BBT is to take your temperature every morning before you do absolutely anything else. Even talking or moving around much. You need to have gotten at least 3 hrs of sleep before taking it. You also need a thermometer that is accurate to .1 degree Fahreheit. Your temps will stay in a certain range before ovulation. After 3 days of your temps being higher than .1 degree above the temps of the previous 6 temps(before ovulation day) then you can say with a fair amount of certainty you have ovulated.
It seems more complicated than it is. I've recently started this, and it wasn't hard to figure out. If you learn to chart the differences in CM that will tell you when your body is gearing up to ovulate, and the BBT's will tell you that you have for sure.
Sorry this got so long.
October 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Get the book TCOYF from your library (or buy it because you will read it over and over again), it gives you a step by step outlook on charting. I have been using it to TTA for almost 3 years and we will be using it to TTC come December.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, everyone I know that had trouble the first time around had a much easier time the second time. I would start using OPKs as soon as you stop the pill just to see if you are ovulating...I remember when I stopped the pill after 10 years, I lost my period for a year and was unsure if I was even ovulating (my CM is so random!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search