Getting IUD out - questions for those who have experience

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By meld10
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Britt3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm getting my paragard IUD out this Saturday!!! But, I wanted to ask what to expect. I remember Meld10 said that it was pain-free, but later I saw a post where maybe it made her AF worse? I'm supposed to start my period this weekend or shortly after Saturday (with my recent vacation and other things going on, I haven't paid attention to my cycle this time but I can check my signature, lol) but I'm scared to have an extra heavy cycle, or long one. What should I expect as an aftermath??

Thanks!!
PS- Guess I need to update my FF. Ugh. lol. Thank goodness I wrote down my CD1 on my calendar at work.

They won't give me crap if I do start AF before my appointment right?!? I'm not putting this appointment off!

Last edited by Britt3; September 5th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
September 5th, 2013, 06:50 PM
meld10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's right! It is almost your turn . First of all congrats!

Secondly, don't worry if you start AF before your appointment, I've read that a lot of doctors recommend doing the removal during AF as your cervix is softer or something along those lines.

As you mentioned, the removal for me went great! Practically no pain (other than what you normally feel during a pap test with an extra tiny pinch). That day and the day after I didn't even have any cramping.

I was due to start AF that day but it took two days later for me to start spotting. Then I spotted for 2 days which was annoying but not really bad. It's more when AF really started being heavy that I had weird cramping. AF lasted 6 days but that isn't much longer than when I had the IUD in (normally about 5 days but before the IUD AF would only last 3 to 4 days, I'm hoping it will be back to that soon lol). What was bad about it was the weird cramping that really made me feel sick to my stomach...

However I must say that I didn't take any pain medication like not even a single advil to deal with the pain which might have helped (I was trying to be tough like I don't need pain but I was really whiny about the pain ). I also had just started taking folic acid supplement and I think those were causing me some stomach pain as well so it may have been a combination of all this.

Who know's, maybe it was related to something I ate that week so if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus once AF was done it all went away so even if you do get weird cramping just take an advil and know it will be gone soon .

Let us know how it goes!
Britt3 likes this.

6/12/2013- 8 weeks
September 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It's been a bit, so I don't remember all the dirty details But I know it did not hurt at all (it hurt pretty decently putting it in for me, my body is shaped a bit odd). I was pleasantly surprised that it was painless to remove. I also do not believe it affected my period. I know I got it out mid-cycle and my expected period showed up like normal. I do tend to bleed a lot, so I don't know if I would have noticed if it was heavier than normal.

And no, in my experience, a period wouldn't be cause to reschedule. I know my doc has done 2/3 post partum visits with me still bleeding, so it's not like it's a new thing for them (and really, they just grab the strings and pull). You should be good.
meld10 likes this.
September 6th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
For me (I also have had the copper IUD twice now) the insertion was a million times worse than the removal.

The removal was really quite painless and I felt fine afterwards too. I had a tiny bit of spotting, but otherwise I was 100% fine.

I don't think you have to worry about getting a heavier period. The only way I can see that happening, is if you have a hormonal IUD..as the hormones in the IUD would make your period lighter, so once you remove it, it could make your periods normal or heavy.

If anything, having the copper IUD will make your periods heavier over time, so having it removed may actually make you have lighter ones after a cycle or two!

Good luck!

September 6th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone!! I'm officially excited now! lol. The insertion was SO painful, and I was glad when Meld10 said hers was pain free. The copper IUD has made my periods MUCH heavier and longer in duration, but after the 6 month mark (recently) they settled down a tiny bit. (Although this last period came a tad late, was VERY light for 4 days and then HEAVY for 6, so I don't know.)

Anyways, thank you!

September 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Honestly it hurt less then it did going in and my cycles after were completely normal. So exciting, good luck

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
September 9th, 2013, 03:27 AM
meld10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How did it go ?

6/12/2013- 8 weeks
September 9th, 2013, 08:58 AM
It went awesome! It only felt like a tiny pinch for just a second, and nothing else!! It was a weird feeling afterwards- mentally. To know that I can get pregnant now, and there's nothing "controlling" my body.. it was a weird feeling at first. Also, she told me I could go ahead and get pregnant now if I wanted as well, instead of waiting a cycle like we had thought (same thing your Dr said from what I remember!). So that was good news. I went home with the hopes that when I told DP that, he would say "OK! YAY!" But later when we DTD he grabbed a condom from our stash. lol. He asked, "Why do we have to use these all month?" I said, "We don't technically.. you're the one who wanted to wait until October instead of September..."

So, we decided we'll take it as we go this month. So maybe we'll use protection, maybe we'll do the P&P and maybe we won't take any measures... SOOOOo... me being the "planner" that I am, it's bugging me. lol. I want to say we are "TTC" or "we are TTC next month," but I can't say either I guess. I'll get over it- I'm just PMSing hardcore and have been a butthead to deal with. (Way worse than normal)

Soo, we'll see how this cycle goes! I did start my prenatals though, so it's starting to feel like it's really real.. we will really, actually be TTC soon! I can't believe it. It's scary! lol.
meld10 likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
When I got my Mirena out in 2011 I didn't even know she had taken it out. It was super fast and pain free. I don't remember if I bled or anything though.

Congrats on getting it out and good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search