O/T Preparing for Winter Weather

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I have been preparing for a "major"(I live Northeastern AR) winter storm. My parents gave us a generator back in 09(they bought a new one and the old one still worked). So Dh spent some time yesterday making sure that it was in proper working order. It's not big enough to power the whole house, but it will run the fridge and an electric skillet. Which is enough to get by. We also have a small propane heater that will keep the living room and kitchen comfortable. Our current forecasted accumulations are (all inches) 1/2 rain, 1/2-1 ice, 1-2 sleet, 2-3 snow. Our temperature will fall all day today(it was 73 yesterday) and is currently 49.

We have stocked up on groceries and have enough supplies to last a few days. We are expecting another round of winter weather sat. night into Sunday.

Here's hoping we get more sleet/snow and less/no ice. Dh had a final in the morning during what is supposed to be the worst of our weather, but his teacher heeded the warnings we've been getting and made the final a take home. So we won't have to go out unless something happens.

I am making sure my phone is charged, but will conserve my battery if our electricity goes off. So I might be MIA a few days.

Do you get much winter weather where you live? Do you make special preparations? Will you have to go out in this weather? Do you do anything else to be ready for winter weather?

Last edited by MommyBeth; December 5th, 2013 at 05:13 AM.
December 5th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i live in canada, we have snow 4-5 sometimes 6 months out of the year, so we dont do anything special to prepare, were expecting it, just like every year obviously we go out in the snow, unless the road conditions are not good then we just wait a day and go out later

December 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
i live in canada, we have snow 4-5 sometimes 6 months out of the year, so we dont do anything special to prepare, were expecting it, just like every year obviously we go out in the snow, unless the road conditions are not good then we just wait a day and go out later
Yeah, I'm another Canadian. I'm pretty accustomed to nasty weather. I really hate driving in snow storms and avoid it at all costs.

If we know we're having a BAD storm, sometimes my bosses will close the office or allow me to stay home (I live outside of town, so the back roads can be quite dangerous).

The few times that storms have kept us in the house all together, they've been ice storms. Those are terrible. Thick coatings of ice on EVERYTHING, no power, falling trees.

Of course, due to the regular occurrence of snow storms here, we're all used to and expect power outages..sometimes lasting for days. We have a large generator, 4-wheel-drive vehicles, and plenty of food on hand. We also have a snow-blower that gets used a lot. We live on a higher elevation, so it's not unusual to get 10-30cm over night sometimes, and we still have to get to work.. lol

Good luck with your storm! I hope everything is alright and it passes without causing too much damage.

December 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I live in my very close to canada. My city was recently #1 for snowfall. It's no issue here.

December 5th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well the forecast has changed and we have been moved into an Ice Storm Warning. NOt sure what they are forecasting as far as accumulation now. But given our history with ice storms, this weather just got considerably nastier!!! I've done some cooking ahead of time so that its mainly reheat in the electric skillet.

December 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have been living in CA for the past few years where winter weather was anything under 60 degrees! I am used to snow but I have now been spoiled, haha. We've had 3 inch snows twice so far this year in WV and I'm sure we have a good snow coming soon. We won't do anything special besides stay indoors if the roads are really bad.

December 6th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We expect some winter weather. The most we usually get is some light freezing rain less than 1/8 inch a little sleet and several inches of snow. WHich snow is totally different from ice. We've had several major ice storms which left us without power for 3-5 days. But we rarely see a winter storm like this one. We currently have 1/4 inch(officially), several inches of sleet, and are expecting 1-3 inches of snow this afternoon. Thinking it will be snowing here within an hour. Roads are terrible, people are being encouraged to stay home unless its an emergency. This exactly what Dh and I are doing. We know how to handle ourselves on the road, but there are "idiots" everywhere. You know the drive to fast for the conditions type, so we stay out of the way.

Just 50 miles south and west of me are my parents. They are getting mostly ice. They lost their power about 10 am. When mom called it in they lady told mom she wasn't even able to give her a timeline estimate of when it would be back on.

Conditions are continuing to deteriorate and the big question is When will all this melt? We aren't expected to warm above freezing again before Thursday.

December 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in Michigan and our weather seems to change day to day, hour to hour, lol. We had 50 degree weather wed and I "think" we are expecting a bad storm too. I was going to go out and get some groceries and stuff tonight so I wouldn't have to go out in the icey roads if I didn't have too, but I just worked what seemed like a week straight of 12 hour shifts. I think I'll just stay home tonight and head out in the morning.
December 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Was 73 here Wednesday!! Thursday same time it was 33!

December 6th, 2013, 08:04 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Storms like that can be scary, especially if you live in an area that doesn't often get hit. Hopefully it doesn't last long.

Here it is feast or famine. It's not typically a snowy location. It gets cold (not like Canada-cold though) and we get some snow and ice each year. But usually only 2-3 small events that close stuff for a day and then we move on. But about once every 5-7 years, it's like living in a snow globe. We are right on the water and when we get just the right weather conditions (think nor'easter), we get nailed again and again. And since we are basically an island (you have to cross a major bridge to get to us on three sides, the other is the ocean), it can cause some problems with travel, supplies, etc. The last time was in 2009 and we got so much flipping snow. Every time we turned around it was snowing, sleeting, icing, freezing rain, blah, blah, blah. But the part that stinks is that no one is used to it, like up in Canada. So people freak out, the idiots who don't heed the warnings cause all kinds of issues on the roads and the National Guard ends up having to get them out of their own stupidity. It's impossible to buy bread, water, toilet paper, etc. So, we don't love those years. Although it's pretty and generally a year where hubby doesn't have to work much (his office is pretty non-essential all around, so they close even before state of emergency is declared). But we don't have a generator, which kinda sucks. It's just not worth it to only use it one winter every 7 years. Plus getting gas for it before the event would be quite the interesting ordeal. We do keep foods, water, TP, and other essentials in our garage. We have a gas stove in our basement, which heats nicely. And we all can sleep down there comfortably. So it's not too big of a deal for us. We have a camp stove and plenty of lanterns too. But our power goes out regularly, so it's pretty routine for us.
December 7th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We dont typically do anything specail except to set my alarm early so i can heat the car and either dust off my car or shovel around my car to get out. Im in Kansas City, MO so our weather changes on the hour as well. I want to say last weekend it was 50s and today it is 3 degrees. one of our "famous" quotes here is "if you dont like the weather, stick around an hour, it'll change"
Mom to Ryden, Angel in Heavan 5/21/10

December 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a similar one, except we say "If you don't like the weather stick around 10 minutes it will change!!

My parents power came back on about 12:25pm today. They had quite a bit more ice than we did.

December 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
steampunk's Avatar TTC #1!
We had a couple inches today, but around here people treat it like it was a blizzard. They have zero idea how to drive in snow and freak out. Really hoping my work is closed tomorrow, I do not want to be on the road with these yahoos!
December 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran
I'm from arkansas also! This will be day 5 of no electricity!! I feel like I gonna die without hot water! Luckily we have gas heaters! We have trees down everywhere! It seriously looks like a tornado hit my neighborhood. They say our power might be back on Wednesday, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
December 10th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What part of AR are you in? I am in NEA. We didn't get much ice here, but we got a lot of sleet. THen a thin glaze of freezing rain over the top of that.

December 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran
I'm about 45 mins away from ft smith. We mostly got sleet and freezing rain. The roads are finally clear. It's just trying to clean up the after math of it all. We actually had electrical poles snap in half. The electric companies have been working nonstop!! I'm so thankful for that! Please pray that this is my last night without power
December 10th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like the ice storm we had here in 2009! IT looked a bomb went off, and you could draw a line at where it started and ended.. I was so thankful that we were only without power 3 days then. City water & light was really well prepared for what was coming in!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search