Hate my BC [tri spintec, OTC]

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the 4th month I think now. I forget. And I keep getting so sick to my stomach after I take it. Even with food. It bothers me so much, I hate it. I can't get to sleep at night, because of it.

Has anybody else on OTC, or the genetic version, get this after a few months of using and it working great, then bame sickness.
April 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
theycallmelisa
ive never been on OTC bc.... i never even knew there was such a thing! is there a different brand you can switch to?
April 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ortho Tri Cyclen [not over the counter -- I WISH]
April 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM
jaylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on OTC (I've been on the generic in the past) and I had horrible side effects. Like you, I was fine for a while, but then after like 2 mos. I started having break through bleeding, mood swings, lack of sex drive, etc. i finally just went off b/c pills altogether and feel great. You ight want to try a different brand or a non-hormonal method if a different type doesn't help.
April 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I havn't had any break through bleeding yet -- thank god!

How did you know that it was the pill causing mood swings instead of stress [job or home whatever]. I've been kinda having mood swings but i've also been stressed b/c of my job. I really would rather just use condoms, but I feel safter taking the pills. Altough condoms worked great for 3-4 months we used only them, LOL!
April 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I figured it was the pill causing the mood swings b/c regarless of what was going on in my life as soon as I took them I would just feel grumpy, down, etc. Usually I'm not a person who gets mood swings, even when things are tough. U might want to talk to your doc about another method. I tried a lot of b/c pills and none of them worked well for me more than a few months. I know the feeling. U feel safer w/ the pill. FYI my dh and i used condoms (correctly and everytime we had sex ) after I went off the pill in '02 and we didn't get pg until we tried. We also used them from May of '04-Jan'05 and they worked fine. I was on b/c for a few months, but now we're back to condoms and so far they have worked (we hope to ttc in the fall and I wanted to get my body back to normal b/4 then). Good luck. I know condoms are less convenient, but if it makes you feel better, it can be a great choice.
Jamie
April 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
p.s. Luv your "baby" he's beautiful!
April 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM
theycallmelisa
Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen2Love@Apr 26 2005, 11:14 AM
Ortho Tri Cyclen [not over the counter -- I WISH]
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

lol, oh, oops. sorry. In that case then, I've been on that for a few years now and haven't had problems with it. I actually found that it's had less affect on my depression symptoms than other brands. Isn't there something like Ortho Lo you can try? Sorry, I can't of much help...
April 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
idachick's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to idachick
Quote:
Originally posted by jaylynn@Apr 26 2005, 12:22 PM
I was on OTC (I've been on the generic in the past) and I had horrible side effects.* Like you, I was fine for a while, but then after like 2 mos. I started having break through bleeding, mood swings, lack of sex drive, etc.* i finally just went off b/c pills altogether and feel great.* You ight want to try a different brand or a non-hormonal method if a different type doesn't help.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I agree too-I didn't have breakthrough bleeding, but I was definitely more moody/grumpy and had a major lack of sex drive and didn't necessarily feel good when on bc pills. They really are great for being a certain method, but it really makes me worry overall at the effects of controlling my body with artificial hormones.
I would talk to your doctor though-there are enough different formulations out there of bc pills now that there should be several different kinds that might work better for you and your body!!!

April 27th, 2005, 01:32 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I will try not to give my life story, but I went on Ortho Tri-cyclen I guess almost five years ago. A few months after I started taking it I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I had a lot of things going on in my life and never thought it could be my pills, but now that I think about it I guess it could have. I took Paxil for three months and then went off it on my own.

I did try the generic brand and Ortho Lo but didn't like them at all. I had heavier periods and ended up going back to the slightly more expensive name brand. Then I got married nine months ago and hubby started to complain about my sex drive before the wedding. I have also been slightly moody as well. I am hoping that its not the pills because condoms are not for us though we would use them if we had to and keep some on hand just in case we need them.

I spoke to my gyno about my lack of sex drive just the other day, and she gave me a new brand to try. I suggest calling your doctor and asking to be switched if it is really bothersome (and if it would make you feel better in general to be on them). You could also try switching the time of day you take them. You might consider seeing if you can take them when you eat breakfast, and see if that helps.

Wish you the best of luck!

Christina

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 27th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks girls! And for the compliment on my "baby" HEHE!!

I'll call my DR this week, about that, and see what she says. I'm really hating this pill. LOL!
April 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Regular
my friend had the same problem with OTC, the doctor had to change her BC. Asking your doctor is the best way to go
May 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
ericalaurel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ericalaurel
hi there everyone...

I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I have clinical depression and have to be really careful with my BC pills too. The BC pill I was taking (but am not now for other reasons) was Ovcon. It was the ONLY BC pill I could take that wouldn't affect my depression. Once I tried Yasmin, and I swear I almost broke up with my husband (then fiance') because of the mood swings and severe depressive episodes. I hope I've helped those of you who have ever had this issue...it worked for me.

Take care

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search