FDA places Black Box warning on Depo-Provera

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
ranidae
Medline Plus
Quote:
United Press International

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

ROCKVILLE, D.C., Nov 17, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Wednesday said a black box warning about bone density will be added to packaging of the contraceptive Depo-Provera.

This is one of the most serious of the FDA warnings, and it tells physicians and consumers the contraceptive injection, used for many years in the United States and overseas, may result in the loss of bone density -- a serious concern to women as they age.

The FDA and drug manufacturer Pfizer Inc. said while the drug is very safe, prolonged use could result in significant loss of bone density -- and the longer the medication is used, the worse the loss becomes -- which may not be entirely reversible.

The warning states a woman should use Depo-Provera as a long-term birth control method -- for example, longer than two years - only if other birth control methods are inadequate.

Pfizer also is sending letters to physicians about the bone density issue and will incorporate the warning in patient information sheets distributed with the injectable drug.

Copyright 2004 by United Press International.[/b]
December 3rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
TheGeneralsGal
Thanks for sharing Rani, I read about this the other day. From my experience Depo is one of the worst BC options out their. I have heard only very few good experiences with it. I hope they pull it from the market one day.
December 3rd, 2004, 09:48 PM
three_blue_eyed_babies's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to three_blue_eyed_babies Send a message via Yahoo to three_blue_eyed_babies
As I say Depo is the devil. I was only on it for 6 months and it caused so many problems I will never try it again. I am considering a tubal but I am not completlety sure I am done having kids. My problem is all hormonal types of birth control have messed with me in the past. Between depression, weight gain, and the bleeding not to mention all the little stuff. I think I will just try my luck with condoms for a bit..

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/masryan

December 3rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
I Heart 4x4
I'm one of the horror stories. It made me lactose intolerant for the entire 3 months I was on it ... I would get so incredibly sick from eating any sort of dairy. I really promote using other forms of BC rather than Depo!! I once even knew of a girl who got pregnant using condoms AND being on Depo! It's just a crappy form of BC!
December 15th, 2004, 07:44 PM
LovingMyBoriqua's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to LovingMyBoriqua Send a message via Yahoo to LovingMyBoriqua
I was on Depo when I had my first son man to be honest I never thought I had long periods, numbness in my fingers where i moved my hand even hurt. Well moodiness i didnt have depression maybe because I was too busy.
Than I finally decided to be back on the Pill big mistake whoops i was pregnant and than I miscarried. Not even a month I was pregnant while using the Ortho Evra bc patch and, I had Zachary oh stupid me decided to get back on the Depo Provera again the only think about Depo I havent became pregnant deployments and Depo have preventing me becoming pregnant. But lately at night time my joints in my hand are so numb where they hurt i have to move my hand for several hours to get the pain out of my joint and hurts to move my hand because i feel the bone in my wrist pop and it hurts like heck when i moved my wrist and my hand I wish their was a bc that prevent me from becoming pregnant. I heard about Norelle (sp) is that like the depo too?? And the ring they insert i think miranda (sp) i havent tried and dont know how it works i would like to have another child before i tie my tubes though
January 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Shannon I am with you on this one. So I am just not having sex anymore until I find my MR RIGHT since I am a single mom right now!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search