The Sponge

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2004, 09:31 AM
ranidae
Well the Today Sponge was introduced to the market back in April of 1983.
Quote:
Made of a soft, disposable
polyurethane foam that feels like natural vaginal tissue, Today Sponge
contains the widely used spermicide nonoxynol-9. After it is moistened
with water and inserted into the vagina, Today Sponge becomes effective immediately and protects against pregnancy for the next 24 hours without
the need to add spermicidal cream or jelly - even with repeated acts of
intercourse.[/b]
It was removed from the market in January 1995, not due to lack of effectiveness, but because the cost to upgrade the factory to government standards. Today it is made with FDA approval under appropriate manufacturing and hygienic conditions like those currently employed in the manufacturing process.

I used the Today Sponge last night for the first time, and since I took it out I've started to itch and burn. Is this related to the Today Sponge? What can I do? [/b]

You may be sensitive to one of the ingredients in Today Sponge.

If you suspect you have experienced a sensitivity reaction to the spermicide in the Today Sponge, you may want to check with your physician to verify that it is in fact a reaction. This would be helpful information, as Nonoxynol-9 is the same contraceptive used in all other over-the-counter contraceptives. If it is not a sensitivity, your physician can treat whatever it may be, and relieve your discomfort.

To test and see if you are sensitive to the sponge or its spermicide, incert for a hour WITHOUT intercourse to see if there is any discomfort. If there is remove imediately and seek another form of birth control.

any other questions about the Today Sponge please let me know and I will try to answer them.
December 17th, 2004, 09:46 AM
ranidae
to use this form of BC naturally without chemical spermacides or other man made materials....

You can use sea sponge, bought in its natural form. I would suggest looking for round forms, that you cut to size and add a small thread for removal. Boil for 5min before initial use and after using each time. Good natural spermacides have high PH levels, like lemon juice, vinegar and slippery elm, virgin olive oil(cold pressed). Tea Tree oil, and neem (sticks like heck though) also are supposed to work well. Lemon juice and vinegar should both be used in ratios of 1part lemon juice/vinegar to 5parts water. You will need to soak the sponge with at least 6ml(1tsp+1ml) with this sort of birthcontrol you also need to redo the spermacide after 2hrs or so.
There is alot of literature out there for this kind of BC, but not alot of it has been "scientifically" proven. Most of it is passed thru familys, midwives, and old folk tales.

If I was to use this form of BC (which I am thinking of doing if this new pill I am on doesn't work and I keep bleeding the way I have been) I would stick with slippery elm or lemon juice. Those are the ones I have heard the most sucess with.

Also once I get the natural family planning post up, refer to that because you still need to abstain during your three most fertile days, the day before, after and of ovulation.
December 17th, 2004, 01:24 PM
I Heart 4x4
Very cool, Rani!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search