What kind of sling do you use???

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Brie
There are so many to choose from. I would love any advice you could give me. What kind do you have? What do you love/hate about it?

Feb. '06 Playroom[/url]
December 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Mamaof1
When DD was a newborn, the sling-ezee padded sling or the maya
when dd got older, the maya or a rwap carrier (bought 5yrd of fabric from walmart and used the carries on mamatoto.org)

Honestly, if we have a #2, I'll use the wrap carries on mamatoto.org. Totally cool and easy. I'm sorry I found them when DD was almost 2! I carried myfriend's 3mo DD in a front wrap cross carry (on the mamatoto.org site) and it was super comfy and secure!
December 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM
knitpearl's Avatar Regular
I got one of the New Native slings, but it seemed too small/tight because I got the wrong size. So I made a few different ones, one using the MayaWrap pattern and one out of knit using the New Native sling as a template.

I LOVED the knit, because it formed to my son's body much more than the regular woven fabric that I made the Maya style one out of.

So if you buy a sling or pouch, I'd suggest finding a brand that comes in the "knit" option.

Pearl
and one very soft kitty.
December 30th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Veteran
I loved the maya wrap when Gavin was a tiny infant. I used it yesterday while shopping, and he was hurting my shoulder so much that I had to take my 3 year old out of the stroller and put him in. I should have taken my ring sling (which I much more prefer for this stage) but didn't take the time to look for it. I liked it a lot for my 3 year old when he rode in it facing outward as a baby. And it is also perfect for the hip carry.
January 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
*Danielle*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got mine, its like the maya wrap but half the price!
http://www.clarabellacreations.com/

Thank you BAM for my great siggy

January 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 3 most common ones were

Wise Woman Ring Sling, i liked it because it was so easy to adjust & had no padding(which makes it harder to get tight).

Cocoon Pouch, so much easier to haul around, I could fold it up into my small purse and take it out when needed.

Freehand Mei Tai, loved it for long(1-2hour) walks. I had wraps I used for this too but in the hot hot summer the MT was better.lol

The MT is still used at times with my 3.5yo but she's getting so long that it starts to hurt after an hour or so. I don't use it much, the last time was at a wedding in August. I did use the Ring Sling at a wedding in Oct.
January 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a home made Rebozo. http://www.rebozoway.org/articles/easy123/index.htm It is cheap, economical and I can afford an endless array of colors. It is also part of my culture anyway.

I also like the "maya wrap" style which is a sling with rings. My advice is get the rings (slingrings.com) and then use your own fabric so you can have a lot of different colors and/or fabrics on a budget.

When my baby gets bigger, I might switch to something else... but in the mean type we'll see how it goes.

So Crunchy
January 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
I got mine from a friend... she got it from http://www.momsinmind.com It's wonderful!
January 11th, 2006, 07:19 AM
BunnyBun's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to BunnyBun
Brie - Thanks for starting this thread! You beat me to it! I've been looking into this too & and lost in the sea of slings! So many types & varieties!

detailoring - thanks for posting that link! I just might order from that site! Hope they ship to Canada! I've done the conversions from Singapore dollars to Canadian, and wow! Those slings (even in SILK) are so very very reasonable! Such a great find! Did you get the demo video that comes with the sling?

</div>
January 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not considered an AP, but I do wear Davey all the time. I use a pouch from www.mynestlings.com and have a MT on the way. Check out http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/Index.html and http://www.babyhawk.com/

January 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Maya Wrap. There is nothing about it I dislike.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Veteran
I have about 20 LOL so here is my run down on ones I have used alot

First body type. I am a plus sized momma on the tall side.

New Native: I sewed one. I really didn’t like it at all. My son would scream bloody murder and I wondered if I could ever find him at the bottom. I compared it to others that were from New Native and it was the same. Some swear by them, I just didnt care for them.

Front Pack style: I dont like these. It hurts my back and I dont feel it works well for large chested women. I also worried about the damage to my sons pelvis from extended ware.

Mayan wraps: Read mayaN, I bought a wrap off a street vender in Guatemala. It is a large square of woolen type material. It is good for around the house but it is HOT. I just wonder how the Mayan women use them. The carry everything from their children to laundry to tortillas and fruits in them...up hills, mountains. It is amazing work. I found it seems to fit better women with smaller chests, but it is comfortable and great just to cuddle my baby in. I would use it more if I was in a cold climate. Many kids were tied on with fleece blankets too.

Maya wraps: I think a MUST HAVE for shopping. I can put him in it and adjust it for how he wants to be carried (laying down, facing in, facing out) and it is easy if you watch the video. I think it is the best, if I could have just one, this would be it. I really do love it. I can also wear it (with the shoulder cuff out all the way) for hours and not have a twinge of pain and I have a "bad" lower back.

Premaxx carrier: Ok, this has bad reviews, but if you know how to sew it can be great. I took that AWFUL strap off of it and replaced it with a home sewn padded strap. It is wonderful for travel. it is padded and more structured, so it is like carrying around a bed. When you change the strap, it is not adjustable which is a good thing sometimes. I love it for long trips, the airport or quick trips I know he will be sleeping through. It is also nice sometimes, because people usually wont realize you have a baby in there.

Yards of material: Ok, easy I know. Get yardage and work it. I find the knots end up too bulky for long term wearing, but it is great for house work or just carrying your little one around. It also grows with the child and there are tons of ways to tie it.

So I think that is my general run down on the best I have tried. There are some that wouldn’t fit me, and there are some too expensive for me.

Carrie

January 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I prefer the padded ring sling when they are newborns. To me it just feels more supportive. Once they can hold their heads up then I think a wrap or pouch is great.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
New Native: I sewed one. I really didn’t like it at all. My son would scream bloody murder and I wondered if I could ever find him at the bottom. I compared it to others that were from New Native and it was the same. Some swear by them, I just didnt care for them.[/b]
New Native pouches are known for being too big and holding the baby too low making it harder on the body. There are much better pouches out there.
January 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Veteran
I imagine there is. I sewed mine so I fitted it to me. I think they are hard to find because if you gain or lose weight you may need another size and also they may be harder to fit on a plus sized gal such as myself.

Carrie

Quote:
New Native pouches are known for being too big and holding the baby too low making it harder on the body. There are much better pouches out there.[/b]

January 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM
BunnyBun's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to BunnyBun
Just wanted to say...... last Tuesday I ordered a silk sling from :

http://www.momsinmind.com

they're in Singapore, so I was a little nervous about ordering online.... but WOW!! My new silk sling showed up yesterday! And it's gorgeous! I'm due to have my baby this week, so I can't comment on how it works, but just trying it on & checking out all the stitching, it looks great, very rugged! Can't wait to get my little guy in it! And it comes with a little zippered pocket in the tail, which seems like such a brilliant idea! And their customer service is great!! I always got very prompt replies to any emails I sent them. And, you even have the option to buy an instructional vcd on how to wear the sling in different positions (even tho they have very good instructions on the website!)!

And it came out to (after shipping costs) under $60 CAD !! I'm so blown away cause I saw similar silk ones for like $160 USD??? I just thought silk would be great in the hotter months. I would have liked to sewn my own, but it'd never get done

detailoring - thanks again for posting that link!

</div>
January 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Veteran
I used the Maya wrap(a ring sling) and loved it. I've had a few back surgeries and never had a problem. I like that it came with an instructional DVD showing how to use the sling for different types of holds(forward, hip, etc)
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Kozy MEi tei, a native baby carrier and nojo. I love the mei tei but I can not figure out how ti nurse in it.I am going to try again soon since Kae is a little bit bigger now. Right now I am love with my native baby carrier. It is so easy and comfy but I am not sure how well it work with an older( 6+months) infant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search