Mom doesnt agree

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM
kristina13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I brought up co sleeping with my mom...Im 12 weeks pregnant and I am definately considering this. She automatically blew me off saying that isnt safe basically telling me in a very opinionated way that it was not the right thing to do. HOw do you deal with people that seem offended by your parenting choices?
December 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I wouldn't discuss it with her again. Just do what you feel is best and if she gives you any trouble just nicely ask her to respect your choices as a parent.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
December 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
my mother felt the same way with cosleeping plus she told me that i would never get the baby out of bed with me, that she will be 8 years old and still sleeping with me and df.

i dont want to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person so i just "smile and nod". it is up to you and your significant other how to parent, not your mother! so take her advice and let it go in one ear and out the other!

December 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
I don't tell my mother anything

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
December 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're going to get alot of this type of advice whether you ask for it or not. I agree with the others in ignoring what you disagree with and letting go in 1 ear and out the other. If you need to tell you it is your baby and this is what you feel is right to do.
December 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No matter WHAT you choose to do with your child as far as parenting goes, you're going to run into this. I mean even choosing when/how/what to feed your child......... when/how/where they sleep........ etc It's ridiculous.

I simply make my opinion known and I have even TOLD my mother (several different times for different things) "Well, then I'm glad it's not your choice!" (That's my response when she says stuff like, "Oh you can't wait until she's 6 months to feed her solids!" or "Oh you can't feed her to sleep!")
December 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i would just make your own choice on this, and not bring it up again.

Its hard to adjust to the fact that this is my child, and that I don't need my parents or inlaws approval, but I am just now starting to get it. '

January 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom was so set on me having a crib she wanted to send me the money to get one (live in another country).

You hear it all the time:
not safe
no sex life
too attached
will never leave

None of it is really true, .... I usually say oh, yeah (not sarcastically) unless its someone who can handle an intelligent discussion. In that case I discuss the facts & research.

So Crunchy
January 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO many people were/are against my choices... Cloth diapering, co-sleeping, not feeding my baby table foods (I have a very strict and profound way of doing things, 4 days per new food, nothing new introduced by anyone but me - this way I can control food adversions and alergic reactions... people like my aunt and brother's girlfriend don't get that - they feed her "licks" of everything! DRIVES ME MAD!!!) etc. I polietely tell them that I'm the parent, and I will parent how I see fit. What works for us- may not work for you.

Most of them get the drift - that I don't want to discuss it with them anymore.

</div>
January 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ignore them. Seriously. Your baby, your bed, your life, your choice.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 13th, 2006, 10:00 PM
HotMama84's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to HotMama84 Send a message via Yahoo to HotMama84
I just blow them off and do what I want to do. They are my kids, so no one else can tell you how to raise them. I was also a co-sleeper for a few months with my kids, and they are just fine.
January 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Veteran
I just wouldn't say anything about it again. Once you start doing it after the baby is here and she sees that it is going well then she will just be proven wrong.
January 24th, 2006, 09:07 AM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mother also wasn't for it. But she knew that I was going to do what I wanted how I wanted when I wanted to do and there is no stopping me. You do what you feel is best for you. That is why people are different. If you want to co-sleep you co-sleep and you don't let anyone else change your mind. That is the bond you are creating with your child!
January 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Veteran
I don't let it bother me. I know that my Mom and I are going to have different opinions on many subjects. I just let what I don't want to listen to go in one ear and out the other.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search