2 month visit

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2005, 07:49 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
We went to the Dr's today for Sally's 2 month visit. I really like her doctor because he is very caring and always makes a lot of time to answer questions, always calls back right away, etc. But he is NOT an attachment parenting person. He told me if baby's crying and there's no discernible cause, just "put her in her room and close the door, go in your room and close the door, and turn on the TV." Then, on BF'ing, he said "put her in her crib before she falls asleep, you don't want to become her pillow" I was just sitting there nodding my head, yes doctor. Of course I didn't tell him that we cosleep. Then we told him we wanted to wait on vaccinations. I was expecting a fight, but after he tried to scare us with few stories,he just had us sign a waiver. I'm still not sure what to do about vaccinations, but there's some I want her to get & some I don't want. it would just be nice yo have a doctor that's supportive of our choices.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
December 12th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To be honest, it sounds to me like you need to find a new pediatrician. This doesn't sounds like a good doctor for your family!
December 13th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree...you should find a new doctor!

December 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I agree...you should find a new doctor![/b]
I'm gonna try. Anyone know of a good pediatrician in central Jersey? I hate trying to find a new doctor.

January 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI i don't usually post here but I post on OCt 05 board a bit. I belong to a AP yahoo group that is used just for referring moms to AP like Dr's. It is a great group and it is how I found my ped in NH and it ishow I will find a new one now that I moved back to MA. I hope this helps.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/
January 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gosh, that is not a good sign. Also if you have a le leche league in you area I have found them to be a great source for info. Good Luck B
January 7th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Veteran
Oh my gosh, I totally agree. How great would it be to have an AP friendly directory of doctors in your area. After I had my first baby in June, she was premature and wouldn't latch on. I expressed my concerns with only being able to feed my dd pumped expressed milk in a bottle and he said not to worry about it because skin to skin bfeeding really only benefits moms (and not baby's) emotional needs. Aargh. Doctors say the strangest things sometimes. Find another doctor!

San Diego Parenting Resources
January 17th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Definitely find a new doctor. I have found family doctors are usually much more willing to be open minded about AP (and not vaccinating) than pediatricians for some reason.

With my first child I never would have done this, but I've gotten to the point now where I can be a little more fiesty probably because I am much more secure in my convictions. If he said the thing about leaving her in her room and going in mine I'd have said I couldn't be her room is our room and we don't have a TV. The thing about breastfeeding I'd have said she has no crib and what in the world does he mean by I don't "want" to be her pillow. How can he know what my wants are. Never would've done that with my first, though!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Definitely find a new doctor. I have found family doctors are usually much more willing to be open minded about AP (and not vaccinating) than pediatricians for some reason.

With my first child I never would have done this, but I've gotten to the point now where I can be a little more fiesty probably because I am much more secure in my convictions. If he said the thing about leaving her in her room and going in mine I'd have said I couldn't be her room is our room and we don't have a TV. The thing about breastfeeding I'd have said she has no crib and what in the world does he mean by I don't "want" to be her pillow. How can he know what my wants are. Never would've done that with my first, though![/b]
Thanks,I didn't think about family practice docs. After my appt, I thought-he's a busy pediatrician and before that a resident. Exactly how many of his kids has he put to bed on a regular basis?

January 19th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Veteran
If you can't find another doc in your area, you might want to tell the doc how you feel about his opinions. You never know, you might change his mind about some of them.
Me and DD don't have a doc because of a major shortage in Ontario. If I did have one, I would be telling him/her what I thought about their views.
Expecting #2 in October

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search