AP with two kids?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my 1st DD was an infant, she slept in bed with me. I didn't even know this was attachment parenting, all I knew is that she'd sleep if I was there, and wouldn't if I was not, and so if I wanted some shut-eye, I'd best keep her close!

Now she's nearly two and sleeping in her own crib at night, but still loves to occasionally sleep in mommy's bed and always is very affectionate with me when I come home from work.

I'm expecting her little sister very soon and was planning to get a co-sleeper for the new one, as well as using a sling during the day.

Here's the problem....my 1st daughter is VERY possessive of me. I've held friends' kids in my arms in her presence sometimes, and she just goes crazy. ("Put it down! Mommy! Noo!!") Sometimes I wonder if its bc I work F/T and she just wants more time with me, but she's had this behavior even if we've spent every minute of the weekend together - she just wants her mommy.

How can I be an attached parent to my new little daughter? Sleeping with her, holding her in the sling - my 1st little girl is going to think I've "replaced" her.

How should I handle this????
January 11th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is important to prepare your daughter for the new sibling as much as you can, and possibly try to include her in daily things with the new baby once she arrives. In order for this to "work", you'll need to be patient and sensitive to the needs of BOTH children.

I think the best thing to do right now is to help lead your daughter into the roll of big sister and (like I said earlier) just be patient!

I think you will do what you need to do once the new baby arrives, and there will definitely be an adjustment period, but you can do it!!

I am nervous about the same things and DD is only 8 months right now
January 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My suggestion is begin preparing. On the le leche league web site there is a place where they sell toys etc.. My friend bought her little girl and baby and sling. It was the cutest thing and it really helped her baby learn about "the baby". She also got several books offered throught the mothering mag. that helped a lot. I have boys who were AP they could care less. My 5 yr old just wants to nurse"once in a while" LOL B Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search