Purchasing a sling?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Hi,

Joanne here from the September Due Date Club!

I've decided that I plan on 'wearing my baby' in a sling. My concern is I've had spine surgery and my back isn't the strongest and I'm prone to back aches. I still intend on using some form of a sling however and my question is this:

What is the best type of sling and where in New Jersey can I go and 'try one on'? Or do you have to order them on line? If so....websites please

Thanks so much! This is all new to me! I'm so excited!

Joanne

January 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Veteran
I had 3 back surgeries a couple years before my last baby was born and I "wore him" until he hit 25lb. For the first couple months I used the Baby Bjorn carrier, after that I used a Maya wrap. I felt more secure with the carrier in the beginning but I think that's just me. Many people use slings right from the beginning. You can try the carriers on at most baby stores. I bought my carrier at Buy Buy Baby. I'm not sure what stores carry slings, I bought mine online. I'm sure if you look around you'll find them in a shop. Good luck and congratulations.

http://mayawrap.com/
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info

January 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Veteran
Well not to sound like a broken record . . . but

I had torn a muscle in my lower back/hip area so it isnt really the same, but I can wear the Maya wrap best like the previous poster. For me, wearing him high (so you can kiss the top of you babies head easily) and tight helps, as well as making sure the fabric is spread out well over your back. I also wear the sholder cap down, even though he is only 14 lbs. I also increased my endurance slowely. He is 5 months, I started when he was 3 months. I wore him for 5 hours today (eek!) and I am sore, but not as bad as I used to be after only 30 minutes.

I would double check with your back doc though. ou dont want to end up having to have another back surgery with a new baby.

Carrie

January 26th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Thanks Carrie!

January 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Ditto on the Maya wrap. Although I can easily put it on by myself, it's even better the first few times you wear it to have someone see where it's tight across your back and then fan it out evenly so the weight is distributed across you back-it's real comfy. I also had to return mine and get abigger one and she was very, very easy to deal with regarding returns, questions and such. I used mine since the baby was born. My DD was big-8lbs 11oz, so she fit in pretty good. A smaller baby might get a little lost in there, but they say you can just put a little padding in the bottom, like a folded up blanket or something. I love it. And I get a lot of compliments on it.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
January 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Yippeee..can't wait! I'm 5'1 and weigh (right now at least!) approx. 123lbs...what size sling do you think I should get?

I'll ask the lady on the website also..but want to hear your opinions too!

January 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
fynche's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Yippeee..can't wait! I'm 5'1 and weigh (right now at least!) approx. 123lbs...what size sling do you think I should get?

I'll ask the lady on the website also..but want to hear your opinions too![/b]
I'm thinking you'd do fine with a small or a med. I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs. the med was almost good for me, but my husband in 6' and I wanted it to fit him as well as having a nice big tail to nurse under. The only real difference is the length and they will shrink if they go in the dryer.

[url=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/fynche/babyfood.gif]
January 28th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Veteran
Quote:

I'll ask the lady on the website also..but want to hear your opinions too![/b]
I'm 5'1", 110 and used a medium Maya wrap. DH wasn't able to use it but he could use the baby Bjorn that we had.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search