Looking at slings...

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a gift card to Wal-Mart so i thought i would get a sling. I know they dont have the best selection, but that is where the gift card is to. I like this one, what do you all think? Has anyone used this one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...A86323%3A132769

Or this one..

or this one...

TIA!!

January 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Veteran
I haven't used any of those and honestly by looking at them and reading the descriptions I'm pretty underwhelmed. Why don't you use the gift card for diapers and such and buy a good sling somewhere else. I used the Maya sling and was very happy with it. I also used the Baby Bjorn carrier the first couple months.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Veteran
I have to agree . . . none of those really look good. If you are on a tight budget, as many of us are, I have a few sling sugestions.

1) Use your card to buy groceries and spend the money you saved on a Maya wrap (or other quality sling)

2) Use a fleese blanket ... it really works pretty well for cold climates or for doing housework with the a/c on.

3) Buy yards of fabric and learn how to tie your own (you can google it and find instructions)

4) on the Maya wrap site they have under "News & Info" low cost options.

I have used many different types and I feel personally that the maya wrap is the easiest and most versitile. At the same time, a normal fleese blanket works pretty well too.

Good luck. I am not an "attachment" parent really. But I love to have my little guy attached to me and it has really made a giant impact in his life. He is adopted and I was fairly new to him at 3 months old. he made the transistion easily, but I think that the baby wearing has brought our relationship forward very quickly. Also, I think it makes the whole world a little more safe. When he is feeling outgoing, he likes to face out and say hello to everyone. When he is feeling overwhelmed he likes to face me. He can still see out but he has me as a buffer to the world (and he likes to cuddle with my boobies when he is tired). And when he is totally overwhelmed (and esp. when people arent picking this up and wont leave him alone) I can cover him completely and say he is sleeping

Ok, I will quit blabbering.

Carrie

January 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The first sling is only good for up to 20lbs, not very useful at all.

the 2nd sling is bulky and the few people I know who used it did not find it comfortable.

The 3rd, what in the world is that bow on the back? It is not very versatile as it is only good for up to 9months. Also, the baby is carried too low in it and it will hurt your back.
January 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your suggestions! I looked online at the Maya wrap, and it looks complicated to me...Is it easy to use(im kinda a big dummy )? I would like a sling for going out (like to the store and such), and for use around the house when i need my hands free to help older ds. I saw that you could make a wrap out of material, how much do you need? Thanks again for all your help!

January 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions! I looked online at the Maya wrap, and it looks complicated to me...Is it easy to use(im kinda a big dummy )? I would like a sling for going out (like to the store and such), and for use around the house when i need my hands free to help older ds. I saw that you could make a wrap out of material, how much do you need? Thanks again for all your help![/b]
I think the Maya is very easy to use. It comes with a DVD showing how to use it for each different type of carry(side, hip, etc). I have no idea how much material it takes to make a sling or where you would purchase the rings but I'm sure that you could find that info online.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search