I NEED your help about pumping at work!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
~Jackie
My HR department just told my friend (whose baby is 4wks old) to pump in the bathroom during the week and conference room only on weekends. We were planning on pumping in conference rooms period. I just emailed the Kansas Breastfeeding Coordinator and I hope she gets back with me soon.

Aren't there pumping laws? I've been googling like crazy but I can't find anything substantial!!
April 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help to you, but maybe you could try La leche league or post this on the breastfeeding board?
I was just wondering about you anyway and how the little one is settling in, and how Kailey is doing. Hope everything is brilliant.
How soon do you have to go back to work?
April 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is it possible to just talk to her about how unsanitary it is to pump in a bathroom facility? I am unfamiliar with laws of other states, so I am not a big help there - but I found this:Pumping Breastmilk at Work: Pumping 9 to 5

I would think if you simply approached the importance of sanitation in preparing milk for a tiny infant with a vulnerable immune system & perhaps threw in that you would never feel it was healthy or sanitary to eat in a bathroom as an adult, so it is hard to imagine it is sanitary enough to use as a place to pump - she might get the idea. I could find nothing in your state either that specifies anything regarding this. That is a terrible situation & I am sorry they are acting this way. I guess I was kind of lucky because I worked for a small enough company that I felt okay to tell them I was going to pump, where I intended to do it, which room I would use) and I went ahead & did it. The ONLY thing I seemed to have a hard time getting them to understand at first was that I couldn't always just wait until after the impromptu meeting they would throw in at my break time....but after a few major leaks I guess they got the picture that I didn't just want to pump at a specific time - I had to pump then.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Last edited by beck12; April 6th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
April 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Beckie's response. Here's what I found on the breastfeeding laws in Kansas, unfortunately there isn't anything about pumping in the workplace: 50 States Summary of Breastfeeding Laws

Your local LLL may have more information for you though.

Expecting baby #4!

April 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I am so sorry. that is terrible. I would defiantly do everything you are doing. I hope people can get back in touch with you. Surely, with good information on how unsanitary the bathroom is for BFing mothers, they will reconsider.

Good luck, I wish I could be more help.

I am so sorry. that is terrible. I would defiantly do everything you are doing. I hope people can get back in touch with you. Surely, with good information on how unsanitary the bathroom is for BFing mothers, they will reconsider.

Good luck, I wish I could be more help.

April 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
~Jackie
Thank you everyone

I also x-posted this on the Pumping Board and I'm about to go check on it. The HR lady is horrendous. She screwed up my maternity leave papers and didn't do her job properly and I had to scurry to get my MW to sign these papers and fax them in or I'd lose my job. After my friend got that email the HR lady came up here and was showing her a room to pump in. I got excited thinking it was a private conference room. Nope, ANOTHER bathroom.

Our boss (a man no less!) told us to just use one of the conference rooms which is exactly what we're going to do. If anyone says anything about it then I'll bring up "the fight" of the bathroom issues etc.... but unless I have to I want to avoid any conflicts with all the lay offs going on here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search