Frusterated about Mei Tais!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK so i want to get a mei tai.. but whenever i look them up there are aallll sorts of types! like a baby hawk.. and just so many different kinds of mei tais! and im confused! WHAT are the differences between them all?

~Em

April 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I think that the differences are very small, mostly the way the straps are and minor things. I have seen mei tais with:
padded straps or straps that can be spread over your shoulder (check the thread KimberlyD0 just posted, think hers is that way). You want to be sure that the straps are comfortable. I would love to have them with fabric to spread over the shoulders but it still seems that the padded straps on the babyhawk I have is enough. In either case you want to make sure that the straps are sufficiently wide.
One design I heard of (cant remember which) had small pouches at the end of the straps, that seemed like a great idea.

The square part can be somewhat different. It may be lined with something, shape slightly different. On mine the top part that the head of a small infant would rest on (as bigger have outgrown it) is made of some kind of sturdy fabric. It seems like a nice feature but then again not really needed for us and it makes it slightly harder to fold into a small space.

Then there is the design issue, which one do you find to be pretty. I loved the babyhawk website because it allows you to pick from so many options. I took as extra to have it reversable, both panels a pocket and a toy ring.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Like she said, there are alot of differences but functionality is pretty much the same. Some have buckles, some just tie, some have hoods, some don't, padded or unpadded, etc.

Mine for example - I pad the shoulders and find it very comfortable on my bony shoulders. I do a contoured body which help make the outward facing front carry possible. A true square design is very hard if not impossible to do that carry with. And I also do a removable multi use hood that doubles as a bag and can even be used as a bib.

The angle of the straps can make a big difference too and make it or break it as far as liking a Mei Tai.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

April 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We went with a BabyHawk and I love it!

Expecting baby #4!

April 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
OK so i want to get a mei tai.. but whenever i look them up there are aallll sorts of types! like a baby hawk.. and just so many different kinds of mei tais! and im confused! WHAT are the differences between them all?

~Em
I know it's crazy isn't it? LOL! You know, we have an APing group here. We can all bring our babywearing things with us and let each other try it out. If you haven't bought one, either try to find a group like that or go to a store that sells them all. Many times those stores will give you the information to the AP groups they support. We also have (Baby wearing basics 101)http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/1328291-baby-wearing-basics-101-a.html that might help.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers,

Michelle
April 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
KimberlyD0
I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I was looking for one. I ended up going with a home made one. A friend of mine made it for her and her son and she was no longer using it. I am usless with sewing so I bought it off her for $20. Its not padded at all, but the straps are wide enough to spread over the sholder. Its increadibly comfortable. I am so glade I got one.

Good luck finding one that works for you.
April 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok.. So i KNOW i want a mei tai that works well with the outward facing position.. as that is the position eva LOVES being in and i cant do with the Ring sling and hot sling that i have..

any more suggestions for this particular mei tai need?

~Em

April 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
KimberlyD0
I think pretty much any will work. They all work basically the same. Except the buckle ones.

I like that mine has ties. It works forward, backwards, hip, and on my back, and because of the ties DH can use it too and we never have to ajust it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search