7 month old up every hour

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have a 7 month old who is currently sleeping with me in my bed. She was a very good sleeper until the past month when she recently started to wake every 1-2 hours. If I nurse her she goes right back to sleep, but now she is expecting this everytime she wakes. Does anyone have any ideas of what can help to get her to sleep longer without the crying it out method.
April 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Regular
I wish I had the answer. I read a journal article by Dr. McKenna recently, which says that co-sleeping babies typically wake every two hours. My son does the same thing! We had some success (for a couple of months) with taking turns - boob one hour, husband jiggling/patting bum next hour. Gives your nipples a rest anyway!

Good luck.
April 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Veteran
My LO does this too, we co sleep also and I'm trying to decide if this coincides w/ starting solids. When/have you started?

Thanks Mary for the amazing PR Siggy

Thanks MamaLacey for the wonderful siggy!

April 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
to attachment parenting!

The biggest thing I want to say is that you didn't do anything wrong by nursing to sleep. I know it's hard from time to time. (I'm nursing a 20 month to sleep.) From time to time, I read kellymom.com :: Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs? I know it's very hard to know what to do and CIO looks like a good alternative (and seems to be so recommended.) You may want to try The No-Cry sleep solution from Elizabeth Pantley first. Also Dr. Sears SLEEP ISSUES and Kellymom kellymom.com :: Nursing to Sleep and Other Comfort Nursing are some great resources on growth spurts, teething, and alternative sleep solutions. mom2preemie made a great point about solids and how they effect our LO's.. Hopefully we'll figure it all out.

I hope some of those sites can help you now. Please let me know.

Cheers,

Michelle
April 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry I didn't see this sooner or I would have responded quicker....

I think it is very normal in all I have read & seen that a 7 month old wake this often. It is part of development that they will change from time to time in sleeping patterns as well - so although a child may not be waking you very often for say a month, it is normal to then go back to waking often. They go through so many changes in that first year especially...whether it is growth spurts, learning new skills, trying new things like solids, etc....

I know it can be exhausting at times tending to the needs of our little ones. I think that specifically is why they address this a lot when speaking about AP parenting & using the term "night time parenting". It can be tough - really tough - at times on our physical bodies I know. Don't loose heart though - all LO's will allow you the rest you need eventually & they do it when they are ready. My LO didn't really consistently quit waking me until after he was a year & then even then it didn't get really consistent until after 18-20 months... but in teh grans scheme of things...like how long his life will be & how long my has been & will be after this stage, it is such a short window. Even now I find there are times I miss our night wakings at times because there is something special about that quiet night snuggling that you don't really get any other time. I guess it is the tender patient moment where you reach into yourself & give them what they need without words or sound...but in gesture & touch...it really is a beautiful moment if we allow it to be.

I wish you much luck & the only other thing I can say is nap as much as possible during the day.... best wishes!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I posted a question like this a few days ago, too. I am learning that she will overcome this milestone on her own when she is ready so I can just stop worrying about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search