How do you play with your kids?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
~Jackie
What type of things do you do? How much time during the day do you spend 1 on 1 engaged with them?
April 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
KatiesGirls
We go to the park or play pretend/read books. Julie is pretty much my shadow so she like to be involved in everything I do so I pretty much make a game out of everything. I would say though actually playing on her level, a few hours in all. She's been picking up on things really quickly lately so we spend more time doing educational activities these days.
April 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jonah is still attached to my hip, so pretty much all day is one on one time LOL Although this week and last week, he has been very independent. He didn't even want to sit with us at dinner tonight, he wanted to go play with his toys. I'm sad and relieved at the same time

He loves to play with his musical instruments. The last time we went to visit my mom, she got him this drum that has tons of percussion instruments stored inside. We play with those a lot. We also read, but lately he has been really wiggly and wants to grab the book, so we've had to read the silly board books so he can't rip them. He also LOVES to paint. I mean loves it. LOL We only do that a couple times a week though, on bath night, because I can't handle it more than that!!!!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily is pretty independent, she'll throw a fit if I try to play with her when she doesn't want me there. She only does that with toys though, she's super happy to be carried around all the time and to cuddle with me. We read a lot and sing/dance together during the day.

April 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well at this point I would say that I spend about 6 hrs a day pretty much focused on him.... If you come by my house during the week you will certainly see it isn't focused on the house.... and half the time it still isn't presentable on weekends. But since I work, I pretty much wait on everything until he goes to bed. Right now our main activities seem to be drawing, his train that he loves, marching (he loves that), marching like robots while saying "BOT" really loud every step, playing online games at the sesame street website, hide and go seek (it's more like hide & go chase), and playing outside when we have the weather for it. I can't wait for summer though. He loves time outside & so do I....and he is a much happier kid when we have a lot more room to move around as well as room to be LOUD.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
~Jackie
Sounds like fun!
April 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, Brendan is only 5 months so he is easy When he is sleeping is when I watch TV or go on the computer. When he is awake I don't like to do "my" things, because I am a SAHM and I feel it is my job to teach him things. So, I just make goofy faces with him, we go for walks, or I play with him on the floor. When I do housework he watches me in his bouncer, jumperoo, etc. I always keep him in the room with me so he can watch me, we talk back and forth while I do dishes, laundry, etc. Hehheh

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
April 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I try to have lots of time with Alissa since she's so jealous of her sister. We play imaginary with her stuffed animals and ponys. We play kitchen. We play board games and color. I teach her abc's, to draw etc. With Isabelle I read to her and have her grab baby toys.

April 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
kwestern's Avatar Coolest Mom Ever
I probably spend 3 hours a day playing on their level. We play with their toys, play doctor, play princess, draw and color (a lot). We do a lot of dancing, singing and stuff like that too (I didn't include that in the time spent on their level). We watch a little tv at times when they are just waking up after their naps and we tend to watch movies before bed to unwind. So most of my day includes them. The only time it doesn't is naptime and when I'm making dinner on the stove.

Thank you Kara for my siggy!
April 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
I'm really bad at 'playing' with her as such. however i do alot of things with her otherwise, if i'm cooking she gets a running commentry while she watches,and then she'll stir things too. i take her for a walk in the sling every day to the park, and i'll chase her there which she loves as well as do the swings etc. i read to her alot too. we play in the bath together with squirty toys and her bath baby.
i'm just really bad at getting down and playing at floor level...

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
April 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
With Lincoln I play peek a boo, or tickle him constantly, I have to, otherwise he screams of boredom.

Phoenix I colour with probably daily. I read to her every day. We go swimming once a week and go to parks at least once a week.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Playing with Ben and keeping him entertained is something I have struggled with since, well, since always really. He's only seven months old, and nothing seems to keep his attention for more than a minute or two at most. I'm constantly trying to find new things around the house to show him and let him hold, since if he hasn't seen something before he's normally a lot more interested in it. If it's an "old" toy, then at best he'll turn it over in his hands a few times, chew it, then toss it over his head lol.

Most of my day is spent trying to stop Ben from getting bored (I know some people claim babies don't get bored, but my experience is very different). He enjoys standing up on my lap, LOVES being bounced up and down, and also seems to find playing with my face and hair amusing (ouch). He is definitely a people person. I can put him down to play with his toys on his own first thing in the morning for about 15-20 minutes, but generally after that, he's not happy unless there is someone else around to play with the toys with him, and even then it is not just a case of shaking a rattle for him lol. You have to make noises, "fly" cuddly toys around his head, dance things in front of him - it's tiring! So yes, I do quite a lot of lying down beside him and cycling through each of his toys. When that runs its course, I put him in the Ergo and take him out for a walk, normally to the supermarket or the park.

I've tried wearing Ben in a sling around the house (in a vain effort to get some chores done) but he doesn't really put up with it for long enough to get anything more than one dish washed up lol. I get housework done once a month, when my mum comes over to visit... my DH picks up the day-to-day slack like laundry etc.

Last edited by MilkyJo; April 8th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
April 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Super Mommy
I probably spend 8 hours a day engaged in "Avery" play. It sounds like alot but she only sleeps @10 hours a day between nap and night. Her favorite things are anything that is REALLY REALLY messy(paint.shaving cream.goop.water in containers.tea party w/tea. playdough). She loves cooking real food or pretend. She has an awesome dollhouse and trainset. Doll play is a big hit. Blocks are really fun too, especially with people or animals and cars.Imaginary play;doctor,vet,dentist anything pretend. I'm finding as she gets older that just getting down with whatever she is doing and following her lead is incredably fun for both of us.I sometimes read to her for an hour at a time and she is semi-interested in "learning "type things but not every day.
April 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We play all the time, all sorts of things, but I am big child myself. Just because I am 43 doesnt mean I have to grow up
Ian likes silly stories and bouncing about, or sitting on the floor with him playing toys.
Billy loves video games at the moment, so we get stuck playing 2 player with him, we play board games too, build things, play football and take long walks by the river.
And we had our firts fire this year. We have one of those metal things sits in the garden to build a fire in and he absolutley loves it, and we've had the motorbikes back out too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search