Co-Sleepers with More than 1 LO in the bed

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Super Mommy
Okay so I am so so in bed with A every single nap and bedtime these days. It is really the sweetest way to fall asleep at night, and as I am 18 weeks pregnant and can't fall back to sleep after being woken. I find myself either staying in bed with her or going into her bed at the slightest noise. I am currently almost completely SAHM and DH is working 14-16 hours a day to finish training hours ( for three more years).

Anyway my priority with the new little one is going to be me getting as much rest as I need and my little ones getting as much of me as they need. I was thinking of putting the co-sleeper on Averys bed (its a full size) and using the snuggle nest insert in my and Dh's bed and a side rail (its a queen size). Then just bringing the baby with me as Avery needs me. I realize this may mean that I sleep with my kids instead of my husband but I really think they are little for such a short time and Dh and I are in a good solid relationship.

My questions are:
how do you do work the whole thing?
Does my plan sound crazy?
April 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
~Jackie
We either:

Kailey, Nola & I sleep in the Queen bed. Me in the middle. Josh on the couch. I miss sleeping with my husband but it was like this with Kailey for a while too... it's temporary and he and I both understand and are ok with that.

OR

Josh, Nola and I sleep in the Queen bed. Me in the middle (Josh is a very hard sleeper and has a tendency to roll over). Kailey next to Josh in her toddler bed (it's connected to our bed). We try to get this way to work. I tell Kailey that if she sleeps in her toddler bed all night long then she gets a full package of fruit snacks (I usually give her one or two out of the package after she goes pee because she reverted back to pottying in her panties right before Nola was born).

If Kailey wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to come into bed Josh will go to the couch and the three of us girls will be in the bed. It's working out so far. Your plan doesn't sound crazy

edit: what is up with all of these double posts? grr
April 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no clue what would work for anyone else - but so far - if we are lucky enough to get another baby before Jonah is ready to move out our plan was to side-car two cribs (one on each side) and have the baby on my side & Jonah on Dh's side & that way if Jonah really feels he needs to be next to me, he could sleep in between on those occasions & otherwise, it puts Dh & I together in the middle... but again - this is all strictly THEORY at this point. LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 9th, 2009, 03:22 AM
~Jackie
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
I have no clue what would work for anyone else - but so far - if we are lucky enough to get another baby before Jonah is ready to move out our plan was to side-car two cribs (one on each side) and have the baby on my side & Jonah on Dh's side & that way if Jonah really feels he needs to be next to me, he could sleep in between on those occasions & otherwise, it puts Dh & I together in the middle... but again - this is all strictly THEORY at this point. LOL
This is what we were going to do/are going to do. Nola is just too small right now and until we move into the other bedroom the baby crib would be between two windows and that is just too much of a draft for my liking!!!
April 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Sophia1Day
I still sleep with my youngest 3. We have 3 mattresses on the floor pushed together, and we all co-sleep. One of them is losing interest though, and has officially kicked me out of his bed. I can snuggle in his bed to read him a story but after that he wants his mattress to himself, so I guess at this point, I really only co-sleep with my youngest two. No rush for them to sleep alone. I know it will happen. My husband sleeps in our bedroom, I spend about half the week sleeping in our bed with him and our youngest - who is still nursing. On those nights I sometimes end up being called into the other room, but after a short snuggle I can return to be with my DH. Some nights they are fine without me there. The other half of the week I just spend the whole night in there. Basically, we wing it, it works for us, and I know (from experience) that they won't co-sleep forever. I really miss co-sleeping when they "outgrow" it. Just go with the flow, your family will figure out the best sleeping arrangement when the time comes, but your idea doesn't sound bad at all Refreshing to hear someone planning on making the family bed work... What I sometimes here are parents trying to get one child out of the family bed to make room for the newcomer, or parents who don't co-sleep with the new baby because the older child is still co-sleeping. Every family has their own ideals and should do what works for them, but naturally I find it touching to hear parents embrace the idea of meeting all their children's night time needs.

kimber, I just realized you were the original poster to this thread, and I have really been blessed by things I have read from you in other threads as well

Last edited by Sophia1Day; April 9th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
April 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Michigan Momma's Avatar Just Chillin'
Send a message via Yahoo to Michigan Momma
Well I'm a single momma so im not sure if this would work for you but I have jacob sleep in front of me and audree sleeps on the other. Sleeping in the middle I know audree won't squish Jacob lol and that works for us.
April 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Our situation is like this: Chris, Sammie, me, Audrey in the side-car crib. If we put Audrey in the middle she kicks the poop outta Chris. It works having me in between the girls since I'm bfing them both. I can just roll ove to whoever needs the boob.

Your plan sounds like it will work out fine.
April 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies. I was fairly certain there were more than a few co-sleepers with more than one out there!!! You all fill me with happiness!!

I am really a huge believer in things just working out, and it sounds like I'm not far off!!!!!

Oh as a funny aside, I recently asked Avery where tiny Tim (her name for the baby) was going to sleep and she said without skipping a beat " In Dads bed , he's lonely at night". It opened up a great discussion about the baby sharing her bed with us, which she is completely open to.....for the time being.
April 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I have been thinking and thinking about this as well. Baby is due in less than 15 weeks and all I have come up with is to sidecar the crib. However right now the three of us are on a mattress(minus the box springs) on the floor since the box spring won't fit up the stairs. Whenever we move we will have to see if things can be figured out...I just don't feel safe with my tossy turny Leila Bug and a newborn lol. This girl moves ALL night long!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

April 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds workable to me. I thought I would be able to sleep with Billy and the new baby in a snuggle nest, but I wasnt counting on a a c-section either. Ended up with DH sleeping with Billy for awhile in his room. Now Sometimes Dh sleeps with him and sometimes he sleeps on a mattress next to my bed. In the morning he climbs into our bed for a couple hours.
I'm sure you already known this but will repeat it anyway with side rails though: obviously they are not meant to have rails baby can fit head into, and you are meant to check they they fit properly so as not to create a space baby can get stuck in. Of course this applies to all of the bed. I check every day to make sure mattress doesnt slide away from headboard creating space, or bed away from wall making a space he could get stuck, but then i think i am paranoid from too many lectures on co sleeping.
April 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Super Mommy
bump

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search