Just curious, how many have older children?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking of this when I read Sophia's post on big families.
I think its kind of a shame that AP seems to be just for babies in alot of circles. I was wondering how many of us have older children (school age +)? My daughter is grown, Billy is 4 which is school age here and of course Ian is the baby.
I think it would be nice if we could get something going for parent of older children too. Maybe a topic of the week on AP for older children or teens, and invite people with children in those age ranges from other boards? Anyone with older kids want to get one started?
April 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
KimberlyD0
I don't have school aged yet. She will be in September though

So I have an older child as in a 3.5 year old.
April 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I suppose this is completey relative to who is answering. I thought on the big families post when someone mentioned 3 Three isnt big, thats small to average, LOL.
April 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have used the hideaway to post about parenting issues with my niece that lives with us - she is 18 & a senior. It is tough - because at the time I am not sure we had anyone here dealing with older children. The ladies here were wonderful support for the issue I was having though. I tend to leave her "out of it" a lot of times, even when we are working things out - because that is such a sensitive age & for all I know there could be a young momma here that knows her IRL & I would never want to talk about her business openly. Not to mention, I have had a snooper in the past that would come here, read up on me & then share info that I may not have wanted everyone to know...and so I am certain she would be happy to know details on my niece as well that I don't share with the family. I never felt like I had a right to privacy when I was her age & screwing up - so I want to make sure she has that. I would gladly openly discuss general stuff - it's just hard for me to ask questions about the tough things - since those things are exactly the things I think she deserves privacy on. Am I even making sense? LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older kids are 14 and 17 (will be 18 in a month) and my step kids are 15 and 18.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Perfect sense Beck. Been there, done that. I dont like to ost too much about my daughter either becasue we did have a very hard time of it. She's doing quite well now, was promoted to managment at 19, but gave up work to go back to university, very succesful at whatever she tries and doing well mostly, married and very well off, but still some personal issues.
We also had a niece stay with us on and off for awhile, sort of funny because she was really DH's ex wife's neice, and I know that made things akward for her too, but I really miss her,
especially as she is going to be a Mommy soon now too.
April 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Sophia1Day
Depends what you mean by older child

I have a couple teen years under my belt though... I think the "teen years" really started when she was 11 though lol, but officially a teen now... not my biological child but I see her as just as much my child as my biological children. She's the oldest of my bunch.

None of my children are "out of the home yet

Depends what you mean by older child

I have a couple teen years under my belt though... I think the "teen years" really started when she was 11 though lol, but officially a teen now... not my biological child but I see her as just as much my child as my biological children. She's the oldest of my bunch.

None of my children are "out of the home yet
April 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I have older kids, my school age ones are 13, 10 and 7.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

April 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My "older" kids are 8 and 7 and 5 1/2 I guess?? LOL My not so old one is 3 1/2.

April 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Well just to set a number, lets go with over 5 anyway, since most of the info here is for babies and preschool aged.
April 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM
KatiesGirls
This is a really good idea! I feel kind of stupid for posting in your other thread already. lol

I look forward to reading everyone's experiences!
April 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 9 year old (10 in June)
7 year old
4 year old
baby who is 6 months
and a DSS who is 13

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search