Best childhood memories

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When did you feel most connested to your parents or parent figures?
For me:
My Mom and I once went to a YMCA camp thing. I remember telling my Mom that was one of my best childhood memories and she was really shocked. From her pov it was awful. The van we were riding in broke down, it rained the whole time, the cabin leaked, there was no electricity and the food was awful. She thought i must have been dissapointed too as almost all the activities were cancelled with teh storms. But our whole group sat in the rainy cabin telling stories, we had one on one time with our mothers, put on a skit, made crafts and played silly games it was brilliant, the storm, car breakdown etc... that just made it more of an adventure.
My point - things dont have to be perfect - its jus the time that counts.
With my Grandfather, he used to watch me sometimes while my Mother and grandmother went out. He let me have chocolate donuts, doritos and tang for breakfast and would tell me stories about WW2.
I really did love hearing them and being talked to like an adult. So it may sound negligent him letting me eat junk and telling m gruesome stories ( the one that sticks out the most is how he sat on a dead body to eat his lunch because he was tired of marching and wasnt sitting in the cold wet snow, especially not when teh body was still warm, LOL, but it still makes me smile. So if he can still have me laughing after being gone 26 years, thats not bad.
My point on this it was just him spending the time with me, didnt matter what we did, and the junk food was just a pleasant indulgence. I've heard too many people say they havent the money to do much with their kids. Its never about money,its just time and caring.
What are your best memories frm childhood?
April 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
With my father, there was a solar eclipse when I was in grade school. Unexpectantly, Dad pulled my brother and I out of school, explained to us what a solar eclipse was and put on his welding hat so we could see it. (He offered to all the kids but obviously, a huge liability even back then so the answer was no.) That experience might even be part of the reason why I would consider homeschooling. I never felt so special.

ETA: My spelling is terrible.. part of the reason why I shouldn't homeschool! LOL!
April 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
With my father, there was a solar eclipse when I was in grade school. Unexpectantly, Dad pulled my brother and I out of school, explained to us what a solar eclipse was and put on his welding hat so we could see it. (He offered to all the kids but obviously, a huge liability even back then so the answer was no.) That experience might even be part of the reason why I would consider homeschooling. I never felt so special.

ETA: My spelling is terrible.. part of the reason why I shouldn't homeschool! LOL!
LOL

I think my fondest memories are from trips I would take with my mom down to Oregon to visit family. Not so much the family part (they are all kind of ... strange) but the hours in the car with Mom were always the best part.
I remember making a pinata with my mom when I was around 6 years old. Nothing fancy, just a big balloon, glue water and newspaper, but I thought it was SO cool!!!
Holidays were always fun, thanks to my Dad. He has always been a kid at heart and would do stuff like dress up in something crazy for Halloween, or leave everyone (including my mom) stuff from the Easter bunny.

I like this thread... it's making me want to call my mom. lol
April 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Bumping this up in the hopes of getting more memories, I really like reading these.
April 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am the oldest of 4 girls.. My dad was a high school teacher, and brought school home with him a lot.. we didnt get much time with him during the school year.. so one of the most wonderful things he ever did for us girls was take us, one at a time, out to breakfast on sat mornings.. So every couple of months (cuz he didnt do it every week) i would "have" to wake up super early on saturday and go out to breakfast with my dad for some one on one time.. it was amazing and to this day i like to take him out for breakfast on fathers day just for old times sake..

~Em

PS.. i was home schooled.. and had a love hate relationship with it.. but its ALL love now! and id recommend it to any mom who has the want in her to do it! I was able to start college at 16.. and no matter what people say i had NO problem being socialized.. went to two high school proms..numerous dances.. and no one, except my teachers.. would have ever guessed i was home schooled..

April 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
The breakfast idea sounds really fun, and it must have been nice to do something without the other siblings once in awhile.
April 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
kwestern's Avatar Coolest Mom Ever
With my mom: I'd say looking up into the stands at every sporting event I ever played in and seeing her there. She came to everything, no matter how small. The cd she snuck into my laundry basket the first day I left for college with "I Hope You Dance" on it. The fact that she slept in my bed with me whenever I needed her to, until I was probably 10, because I was terrified of the dark.

With my dad: The boat that he put so much time and effort into for my and my friend. It was a 7th grade science project and you had to build a boat out of cardboard and float it across the swimming pool to get an A. I think I could have sailed around the world in that boat.
All the softball teams he coached for me and the many nights practicing out in the backyard.
The first time he ever heard me speak after he got his cochlear impant. I was 13. He had never heard my voice until that October night and I was so nervous that I would say something stupid.
I used to fall asleep on the couch when he worked nights and he would come home and carry me into my bedroom (even at 13).

Ugh, gotta stop now. Can you tell I miss him terribly.

Thank you Kara for my siggy!
April 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I miss my Grandfather too, but i cherish all the memories, more then anyone else, he made me who I am
April 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
kwestern's Avatar Coolest Mom Ever
^ Exactly

Thank you Kara for my siggy!
April 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Noelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwestern View Post
The first time he ever heard me speak after he got his cochlear impant. I was 13. He had never heard my voice until that October night and I was so nervous that I would say something stupid.
That made me cry. I can't even imagine! Beautiful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search