Lying to my Peditrician

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So my little girl is almost 6 months old now.. and still not sleeping through the night.. she gets up any where from 2-5 times a night.. it is a bit trying.. but i know we'll get through it. Because of our living situation right now shes not really learned to put herself to sleep very well.. and im not pressing the issue right now.. her 6 mo apt is coming up soon and i KNOW her pediatrician is going to ask how shes sleeping and tell me to just let her cry it out.. and to just avoid that conversation completely im planning on just telling him that shes sleeping just fine, and leave it at that...

is this awful? have you ever lied to your pediatrician? should i just tell the truth and ignore the rest of the conversation...?

~Em

April 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
have you ever lied to your pediatrician?

~Em
ABSOLUTELY!! LOL Her views on feeding my kids were different from what I believe is right for us, so I just told my pediatrician what she wanted to hear, her speech wouldnt change anything so why waste my time (I dont care if I would waste her time LOL) it was in regards to cow's milk (which we didnt feed our kids but pediatricians believe it is best thing on Earth LOL)
so I just told her that my babies were fully on cow's milk by the time they were two hahahahaha.

April 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I have lied or just not told the whole truth lol
both the dr and to other people (CPS etc)
I'm fairly sure tanja's dr has no idea we co sleep or anything

I'd just say she's sleeping ok to be her age
no more and no less

April 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Veteran
I lie too My pedi says to let her CIO and not sleeping in her crib is encouraging bad sleep habits so I say "oh she likes the crib (she does take naps there so its not a complete lie (lol) and leave it at that!

Thanks Mary for the amazing PR Siggy

Thanks MamaLacey for the wonderful siggy!

April 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
KatiesGirls
I kind of like watching the faces I get
April 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksGirls View Post
I kind of like watching the faces I get
that makes me laugh alittle bit to myself too

Thanks Mary for the amazing PR Siggy

Thanks MamaLacey for the wonderful siggy!

April 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To be honest,its none of your pediatritians buisness how or where your baby sleeps.My baby girl still wakes up at night too,but shes a baby,so its to be expected.I also still nurse her to sleep and when she wakes up,I put her in my bed for the rest of the night.
If Im willing to do this and it doesnt bother me,then my pediatritian has no buisness telling me how to put a stop to it kwim?

IMO,unless you are actually asking him how to put a stop to night wakings,then he doesnt have to go there at all.
If he asks if your baby is sleeping all night,just say no.At 6 months old,not many babies are,and you can deffinately say that you are against CIO because YOU are the parent.Its not his job to raise your child.

I have lied to my pedi when it comes to food.I was told to start cereals at 4 months,veggies and fruit at 5 etc,but I never even started solids until after 6 months,and even then I only did plain veggies once a day.My pedi would ask me how she was eating her solids (at 4 months),and Id say "oh shes doing great..she loves it!",hed mention how her weight was going up nicely,when infact,she was still only EBFing! lol.

I would never lie about what I think about CIO or how I parent my kids,because thats personal and Im the one who has to deal with them 24/7,so its none of his buisness as long as it works for me

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

Last edited by Gina1978; April 13th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
April 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't lie to my pedi, but she's very AP. She told me at Lily's 6 month appt that she co-slept with her daughter and highly recommends it to families.

April 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I lie to ours. He is not very AP at all so I just gloss over whatever he wouldn't want to hear. Who cares... these peds are not the ones raising our children, and some of them are very old school and won't hear of any other way.

April 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My pedi is also pretty pro AP, so I haven't lied to her (*yet*) Someone here gave me an awesome recipe for homemade baby formula, which I am sure she wouldn't go for, but I'm thinking of trying it out and telling her that he's still on similac... I just don't know if I want to mess with his food intake, after what we went through with his weight gain. It's really made me paranoid, which is one reason I think we had such a hard time getting him back to breast.

Anyway, sorry for the rant LOL. I did lie to some of the doctors at the hospital, because I was sick of it (and honestly if they wanted to know the truth they'd just do their jobs and read the chart!)

Also, My son is eight months old and he still gets up 2-5 times during the night!!!! I think it's normal

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I don't go to an allopathic doctor anymore because of the dealings I had with them from the pregnancy, birth and after care. I go to a homeopath now.
April 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is definitely normal for an 8-mos. old to wake up during the night. Hugo is almost one and has some nights when he wakes up once. Hey... we're all adults here and lots of us wake up during the night too! It all deals with their little bodies and what's going on developmentally. Plus, just like us, we have good nights and bad nights, digestive issues, dreams, etc. Babies really are little people and peds should treat them as such, not little machines that perform on command.

April 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im so glad you guys are saying its normal.. Id say a good 80% of my PR has babies that are sleeping through.. from like 2 months old! I was thinking my kids were awful sleepers.. My first DD didnt sleep through the night until she was 9 months old..

I am hoping to get into a better routine that will help Eva maybe stick to waking up only twice.. once would be nice.. but i dont have a problem with her waking up..

~Em

April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I lie to the doc all the time! We are delaying solids (DS is just not interested) and I just smile and nod when she tells me that he needs solids and not just BM at this age. I tell her he's eating solids just fine...

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've lied to my ped before too... we are not planning on vaccinating but I told her we are doing a delayed schedule and will revisit the issue around 18mo - 2yo LOL I have lots of time to come up with a game plan in the meantime!
April 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've lied to my pediatrician too. Even though he's pretty great there are some things we don't see eye to eye on and I'd rather not hear it so I tell him what he wants to hear.

My youngest is 19 months old and still gets up about twice a night. I'd say she's sleeping completely normally for her age so if you say that you won't be lying!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've lied to my pediatrician too. Even though he's pretty great there are some things we don't see eye to eye on and I'd rather not hear it so I tell him what he wants to hear.

My youngest is 19 months old and still gets up about twice a night. I'd say she's sleeping completely normally for her age so if you say that you won't be lying!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Brendan's almost 6 months and still wakes up 1-2x... When he started to nap in his crib thats where he started to learn to put himself back to sleep. He wouldn't cry but he would play in his crib until he fell asleep...Lol now I wake up in the middle of the night hearing him play in there...I feel really bad so I snag him and nurse him. Lol.. I just feel like it's so dark in there and he is wide awake...During the day when he is playing in there before he naps I don't feel as bad since he can hear background noise and the daylight...he doesn't feel so alone.

Sorry for my ramble... I would absolutely lie to my pediatrician. At times I don't even know why I have a pediatrician because I answer all my own questions and no matter what anyone tells me I still do what *I* feel is right. I am lucky though that my pedi is very pro AP. She doesn't promote solids, CIO, or anything of the sort. She was actually asking me questions about where I get my cloth diapers and stuff She is very pro breastfeeding and when I told her I don't think I could ever stop because I am so in love with it she knows exactly where I come from because she is the same way.

I feel she is more of a friend than my 'doctor' lol...

Okay , sorry for hijacking your thread!

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
April 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I lied to Abby's ped, just to avoid uncomfortable conversations.

Abby still woke 1-2 a night to nurse at even 16 months old. She started sleeping through the night around 2 months old, but it was on and off after that. Sometimes for months at a time, she would be up several times a night then sleep well for a few weeks, and back to waking again. She still occasionally wakes at night and needs us to come in and help her get back to sleep.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have lied to mine about co-sleeping....but so far that's it. Actually I guess I haven't lied...but just brushed him off when he mentions the word "crib". Matthew has a crib....and he LOVES it during the day when he gets to watch his mobile when we go in there to play. But so far that is the only time he has been in it.

His doctor mentioned starting solids at 4 months and I told him I was going to wait until at least 6 months. He was fine with that, but looked at me like I grew another head at first. LOL

From what I have read in the handouts they send you home with it seems like the group in the practice is pretty AP....except for all the talk of crib sleeping.

I think if you find yourself having to lie all the time and not just on an issue or two, it might be time to find a DR who would better suit your family.... if there are other docs in your area.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search