Question for those nursing toddlers

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just curious how often you nurse your toddlers, for how long, and around what times (bedtime, waketime, naps?) Also, do you give your child other forms of milk?

Sorry if it's personal, I am just really curious

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I'm just curious how often you nurse your toddlers, for how long, and around what times (bedtime, waketime, naps?) Also, do you give your child other forms of milk?

Sorry if it's personal, I am just really curious
I know every child is different, every nursing relationship is different so I know we can't all be the same but here dd and I nurse ALL THE TIME! She nurses to sleep, when she wakes up, and inbetween. She nurses throughtout the day too. I have tried to give her different milks but she doesn't like them. (Seriously the girl wouldn't even take juice for the longest time and even today it would have to be in a juicebox.) She also doesn't eat that much. I've stressed out about it so I take my vitamins, I give her vitamins and I'm getting a book written by an Italian doctor with the most up to date information about nursing and toddlers. (The book is My Child Won't Eat and I was planned to write a review when I get it which feels like forever.)

Ask away!
April 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My little guy nurses about twice a day, sometimes 3. He's battling a cold now so he he's been nursing a little more frequently then he's been. Up until he was 17 months he still needed to be nursed to sleep before nap, before bed, and during the night. He was waking every hour and I just couldn't take it so I night weaned him. Then all of a sudden he didn't want to nurse to sleep anymore and wanted to go to sleep on his own. And then that turned into not wanting to nurse before nap and bedtime anymore (this has been fairly recent, only the past month or so). So since he decided to drop all daytime nursings he has picked one or two back up in the night. Since he falls back asleep nursing during the night he'll stay on a side for between 1/2 - 1 hour. It's been killing my nips since I haven't been used to that but that's ok since he needs it right now on this schedule.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I find this so interesting! I hope I will be able to nurse my son when he's a toddler!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm interested in the answers as well! I hope to nurse Lily until she self-weans but I worry because she only wants to nurse about 5-6 times per day now (at 8 months) that she'll wean early

April 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Abby nursed 5-7 times a day, around 12 months. By 16 months, she was only nursing 3-4 times a day, and now nurses about 1-2 times a day.

Expecting baby #4!

April 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
christy1108's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Victoria has 3 good nursings and lots of little snacks throughout the day. She nurses once in the morning, before nap and before bed. She doesn't like milk, but loves yogurt. I tried soy milk but that didn't go over so well either

April 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Same as Michelle lol
all day any day, Tanja knows where her boobs are and gets it when she wants it
she barely ever stay long tho thats the only thing i don't like about it.

She gets some soy milk (very vanilla anyone? ) and she loves yogurts and some juices (also just juice boxes or it HAS to have a straw!)
and she likes water with ice cubes (with straws. she's hooked on straws lately)

April 14th, 2009, 04:52 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
Maica feeds through the night...between 2-10 times! and then a definate morning feed after shes toddled about a bit. fed at 11, then to nap however many times i attempt to get her down, then to sleep at night,
but if shes busy/we're out, she forgets all about it!
xx
ETA maica is 17 months (my siggy has english dates on lol)
ETA she also has cows milk in a sippy, and water, and occasionally juice diluted.

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!

Last edited by mamatomaica; April 14th, 2009 at 04:55 AM.
April 14th, 2009, 05:06 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jonah nurses less all of a sudden now (25 months) but up until now he nursed probably at minimum 5-8 times a day & a few times at night. Now we are down to about 4 times a day (including night) but that has been just maybe the last month or so. I never assume with him it will stay any particular way though - as he seems to change it up a lot. If he is very very busy he may only ask when he wakes, before nap and then twice in the evening (if that). When we were away for Easter he only asked about 3x total per day as he was busy running around with other children the whole time. He will not take any other form of milk (cow, goat, soy, rice, almond, etc) not at all...he won't even take EBM at this point anymore..he quit taking that around Christmas (20 months). He will take yogurt & cheese though - go figure.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh on the dairy thing. Lochlann will not drink milk at all and I don't push it. He does love cheese and yogurt though. He loves his juice though. We only give them V8 Fusion so they get their fruits and veggies in for the day. This is mostly for my oldest who won't touch a fruit or vegetable!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
Last month I cut him down to about 5-6 times a day. I couldn't get anything done. He nurses for 2 seconds, leaves and comes back wanting more. It was so frustrating. He just began sttn. I cut off the nursing at night (we don't co-sleep) around 15 months. But I gave in a few times lol

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Billy was down to nursing about 3x a day when we started weaning at age 3.
I am guessing now because you tend to forget some, but I am sure Billy was well over two before he ever slept through the night without waking to feed, and I know he had reduced his amount of nursing drastically right before i ended up pg with Ian.
He had milk from a cup quite young, and Ian has tiny sips of mine now.
April 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michelle - I dont think I'd worry about it, some children just dont eat much and she doesnt look to be starving. She'll eat more solids when she needs too, aparently she doesnt need too much yet.
April 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Tofu Bacon
I don't keep track or anything, but I'm guessing dd nurses about 5 times during the day, and usually once in the night... could even be more, but I sleep right through it, lol. She'll occasionally have some juice or rice milk, if ds is having some.
April 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Leila nurses maybe once or twice during daytime hours but then wants to nurse before bed, anytime she wants to all night, and definitely first thing in the morning. I'd say she nurses anywhere from 2 to 10 times a day.

ETA I also give her rice milk for her lunches at daycare. I didn't want them giving her cows milk so I figure if I fill her cup with something and send it full they won't give it to her. She does eat yogurt and some cheese very well.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

April 17th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Audrey is 15 1/2 months. She nurses all the time!!! First thing in the morning when we are still in bed, before, during and after naps, several times during the evening, nurses to sleep at night and several times during the night. She is a boobie freak!! She only drinks breastmilk although she has tasted cows milks, I just don't see the point in giving it to her on a regular basis.
April 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Liliana is 2.9 years old and nurses constantly still - all day and all night long. She really hasn't slowed down at all...

I don't give her milk to drink (she doesn't like it anyways). She drinks a little water from time to time (I always have a sippy available to her) but really she just wants breastmilk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search