Activities you want to do with your older ones or when your child gets older

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Some of the debates got me thinking about the theme of older kids. Whether it's riding dirt bikes, scuba diving, volunteering, shooting guns, or whatever you're into, what are some of the activities you look forward to doing with your LO's? What is the goal you want to teach them about your activity?
April 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
For us, swimming. I'm a swimmer and swam competitively and was a lifeguard and swimming instructor for 6 years so I'm very pro swimming. I take both my kids swimming twice a week already and they both love it. Another thing I can't wait to do is martial arts with my kids. I am a black belt myself and studied martial arts for 11 years so I want my kids to try it. We also go up to my parents cottage frequently and I love tubing behind the boat and jet skiing. Phoenix was 3 the first time she went tubing behind the boat (on my lap of course and obviously in a lifejacket) and she loved it.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to get them a chance to try as many things as possible. Billy is already into motorbikes and has his own quad (it has a screw that regulates speed). We go swimming and play football ourselves.
I am really looking forward to camping, and taking them to their first Rangers match, and want to get them to try:
football
ice skating and maybe hockey ( we tried skaiting with billy once but he had a hard time still).
Boys brigade
Scouts
Band (flutes and drums)
Army cadets
Martial Arts
and anything else except rugby which i really dont like, so that will probaley be the sport they go for, or boxing like dh, whcih i dont like either
Also if they are still in hom ed later, I would really want to encourage them to do some volunteer work with me or on their own.
April 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My Ds is still just a little guy but DH is a HUGE basketball, tennis and soccer player and I loved playing baseball (even though I sucked) and swimming.

I would really, really love for DS to get into reading. I love reading so much and I take for granted that it takes some people a year to read a whole book when I can't fathom it taking more than a weekend. I really, hope he appreciates reading because once the years of baseball and tennis are behind you (admit it - it happens) reading allows for so much personal growth and enrichment IMO.

April 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not really an activity, but I can't wait to take our children camping. I really enjoyed it as a child and have many great memories of it.

Expecting baby #4!

April 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
kwestern's Avatar Coolest Mom Ever
Well we already go to school together. I did a mom & child class with each of my girls. They enjoyed that. Right now they are in gymnastics, Reese and I do the class together and Kennedy is with an instructor. I'm hoping they'll learn some listening skills, some self discipline, flexibility, social skills and confidence in themselves. Plus, they get to blow off some energy!

Next fall Kennedy is in Pre-school two days a week, so I'm going to do another mom & child class with Reese. We're hoping to start camping next summer and get Kennedy into t-ball, soccer, horseback riding and cheerleading in the next couple years; Reese too.

Gosh, when I type it all out it sounds like a lot! I'm not looking to push them into things, just give them all the different experiences to see what they're into. Then we'll follow their leads. I just want them to be active in whatever activity they enjoy and in school.

I honestly cannot wait until the days of slumber parties, little league, school plays, etc. I don't want it to get here too fast though

Thank you Kara for my siggy!
April 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to do EVERYTHING I can with them (hoping for "them" LOL) - and teach them about social responsibility, patience, kindness, generosity & living it up through real life experiences and challenges! No joke...I don't even know how to start this list....there are so many things I want to do & I want to use parenting as a good excuse to do some things Dh & I likely never would get around to doing on our own. It will also be limited by budget I am sure (as I would love to take Ds skydiving when he is old enough and backpacking in the Grand Canyon and skiing and .......). I also want to do lots & lots of volunteer work with him so that he really does understand the importance in giving and maintaining a sense of social responsibility. I will teach him that he IS his brother's keeper.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search