baby wearers

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Pound's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
how many hrs a day do you wear your baby? i have oli in a hotsling and sometimes he's only in it for 2-3 hrs the whole day, sometimes 4-5. he really only likes to sleep in it, if i tried to sling him while was awake he fusses. maybe it's too tight? he sleeps fine in it, but just doesn't like to be in it if he's wide awake. he's in a cradle carry right now, is there another way for a 4 wk old?

April 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM
KatiesGirls
I haven't had to actually wear her around the house since Jan when she was sick and wanted to snuggle constantly. Other than that I only wear her when we're out
April 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some days I wear her for a few hours, other days, not at all. DH has been home a lot lately, so I haven't worn her at home much, just when we go out.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound View Post
how many hrs a day do you wear your baby? i have oli in a hotsling and sometimes he's only in it for 2-3 hrs the whole day, sometimes 4-5. he really only likes to sleep in it, if i tried to sling him while was awake he fusses. maybe it's too tight? he sleeps fine in it, but just doesn't like to be in it if he's wide awake. he's in a cradle carry right now, is there another way for a 4 wk old?
A four week old? I'm just glad you can get out of bed! LOL!

to AP! It might take a while but I will bet he'll warm up to it. For sure try some different tensions to see if it's too tight. I didn't have a hotsling so I can't speak from experience. In the welcome thread, we have a link to the Baby wearing basics 101 that might have a link to help you or a post with experience.

I hope you like it here and post often. Your LO and siggie are adorable. We are huge Muppet/Sesame Street fans here so I'm going to stalk the website to your ticker too!

Cheers,

Michelle
April 16th, 2009, 11:24 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I wear my son usually only when I have to get things down around the house and Lincoln is being a mama suck. I also wear him when I go pick up my daughter from school and when we are out.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 17th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I wear her when we're out and also when I'm cleaning the house (vacuuming and such).

April 17th, 2009, 04:22 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
A four week old? I'm just glad you can get out of bed! LOL!
LOL! Same here, when Ben was 4 weeks old I spent all day on the bed with him or sitting on top of a mountain of cushions on the couch!

Ben never liked the sling when he was awake either - but as a young baby he did not like to be held horizontally, only upright. Not sure what holds you can try with a hotsling, but the moby wrap (and I think maya ringsling?) have an upright "cuddle" hold which Ben preferred.

Generally though, after the time after Ben grew out of nursing 24/7 (around 6 weeks ish), I usually only wore him when we went out. He's never liked being in a carrier just around the house. Not all babies do, some prefer space (well, Ben didn't want that either lol, but that's another topic!).
April 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
it just depends on the day for us. Now that the snow has melted I try to get out and go for a walk everyday. If either of my girls are super cranky I usually strap them on - Sammie in the moby or Audrey on my back in the Ergo - sometimes both at once. I never seemed to beable to get my girls comfortable ina sling either, they seemed too wadded up. I liked the moby for youngins much better.
April 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM
KimberlyD0
Depends on the day. I've never worn her around the house at all. Only when we're out. DH and I do not own a car. We prefer walking, biking, or busing, so the carriers are a great alternative to a stroller, which I also love to have for when my back inevitably gets tired or sore.

The longest I've ever warn her I believe was about 6 hours. That was in Ottawa when we went to CHEO. In the hopital there its just easier to use a carrier then a stroller.

Generally its about an hour a day. Half hour walk to daycare, then half hour walk home with her.
April 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a freedom sling at that age, I found he really liked the pouch shape. If he was awake when he went in, i would walk a bit until he fell asleep before starting housework etc...
If we went out and he was awake I just made sure to position him so he could see out when awake. I would not have worn Ian more then 1 hour inside, but ahve worn him for up to six hours if we go out for the day so I can interact more with his brother and without being away from Ian. I'm terrible for different holds though but you should find more info in the welcome thread, and lots of pics.
April 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I have stuff to do around the house and she wont play in her exersaucer, or when we go out. She likes to sleep in it as well, but when she's awake she likes to face out. I don't think you could do that with a NB though.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

April 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
my kid is huge so I only wear him when I go to the store or long, muddy walks. I would try something that gets him upright so he can see more. Just make sure he has head support!

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im another one who wears her when i gotta get stuff done and shes being cranky..i end up wearing her for about 20 min a day for sure.. and more if shes really cranky or we go somewhere.

~Em

Im another one who wears her when i gotta get stuff done and shes being cranky..i end up wearing her for about 20 min a day for sure.. and more if shes really cranky or we go somewhere.

~Em

April 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Linda! Man he is sooooo cute I want to see more pics!!!!

Anyways.... I have a Moby Wrap and my little Tank LOVES it. I use the front hold now and did the Kangaroo hold when he was Olivers age. At 2-3 weeks I had him in either the newborn or cradle hold, but he didn't like being held that way for long. I seriously don't know what I would do without my Moby somedays. I don't wear him everyday, but just about. He is in there about 5-6 hours some days and only an hour or so others. He has a cold right now and wants to be held 24/7 so he has been napping while in the Moby I think just being on me makes him feel better. Suprisingly he sleeps a lot sounder in the wrap even with me moving around than he does on his own.

I had a bunch of errands to run the other day. I put the wrap on before I left and I have to say it was soooo much easier than lugging that car seat into each store. I also got to enjoy my shopping instead of hurrying to get done like I usually do when he is in his car seat. I spent almost two hours in Target looking around and finding deals that day. Gotta love coupons!

When we were in Disney I wore him about 12 hours a day for 5 days straight. My back didn't hurt once. That was what really sold me on the Moby. If I (who am a wimp when it comes to carrying anything for a long time...LOL) could carry him for that long without complaining and actually enjoy it even in the 90 degree sun it must be good

I still plan on getting a hotsling and a MeiTei to see how those compare. I LOVE baby wearing

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
thanks ladies! my dh is hardly ever home so i need to wear oli in order to get some stuff done. he'll sit in his swing most times, but only for an hr a day or so. he does prefer to be upright when held, but can't do that w/ the hotsling, and i don't want to spend the money on several different slings cuz they're about $50 each!

hi bobbie!!tank is getting so big! when i have an errand that takes more than 30 min i usually sling him too, it's not even worth it having him fuss in the stroller.

April 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say congrats! At 4 weeks Ds was hardly ever in a carrier, because like other ladies I wasn't up & around much. I went back to work at 6 weeks...but I swear I think the day I went back was the first day I really "got up" LOL. I just had to then I guess. I had a hard time healing physically from L&D - so movement was tough for the first few months. I did wear Ds to go on short walks (my Ob said he didn't want me to go back to work until I could walk a mile - didn't matter how long it took me to walk it - just that I could do it without serious discomfort & pain). So when I would walk I would put him in a peanut shell because he hated sunshine & wind - so the stroller was out....he was great in the house in a stroller, but the minute we got outside he screamed..and I desperately wanted to take the stroller for ME to lean on - so I would put him in a carrier & push an empty stroller. LOL

He did get to where he liked the carrier better later - and some days he would seem to want to be in it all the time & other days hardly at all. I think it is really dependent on personality of mom & baby both how much, how often & what kind of carrier you prefer.

I just wanted to say congrats! At 4 weeks Ds was hardly ever in a carrier, because like other ladies I wasn't up & around much. I went back to work at 6 weeks...but I swear I think the day I went back was the first day I really "got up" LOL. I just had to then I guess. I had a hard time healing physically from L&D - so movement was tough for the first few months. I did wear Ds to go on short walks (my Ob said he didn't want me to go back to work until I could walk a mile - didn't matter how long it took me to walk it - just that I could do it without serious discomfort & pain). So when I would walk I would put him in a peanut shell because he hated sunshine & wind - so the stroller was out....he was great in the house in a stroller, but the minute we got outside he screamed..and I desperately wanted to take the stroller for ME to lean on - so I would put him in a carrier & push an empty stroller. LOL

He did get to where he liked the carrier better later - and some days he would seem to want to be in it all the time & other days hardly at all. I think it is really dependent on personality of mom & baby both how much, how often & what kind of carrier you prefer.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also fairly new to babywearing (I have a 3 week old and a 16 mon old so I need my hands free). I tried the hotsling first and did not like it at all. I got a moby wrap and LOVE it. I wear him 6-8 hr a day (basically he's in it whenever he's not nursing during the day when I'm taking care of my 16 mon old). He loves being all snug and cozy in there and it is so easy on my back because the weight is evenly distributed. If you're looking for a place to get some really good deals on slings/wraps/carriers I would suggest checking out the baby carriers section on diaperswappers.com This is where I have gotten a couple of gently used slings and wraps from moms. You don't have to feel back about trying out different wraps until you find one that works for you and you can always resell the ones that you don't end up liking.

[
April 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I am also fairly new to babywearing (I have a 3 week old and a 16 mon old so I need my hands free). I tried the hotsling first and did not like it at all. I got a moby wrap and LOVE it. I wear him 6-8 hr a day (basically he's in it whenever he's not nursing during the day when I'm taking care of my 16 mon old). He loves being all snug and cozy in there and it is so easy on my back because the weight is evenly distributed. If you're looking for a place to get some really good deals on slings/wraps/carriers I would suggest checking out the baby carriers section on diaperswappers.com This is where I have gotten a couple of gently used slings and wraps from moms. You don't have to feel back about trying out different wraps until you find one that works for you and you can always resell the ones that you don't end up liking.
to AP!
April 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
i liked the moby cuz you can have them facing you, is it hard to figure out how to wrap it? it looked kind of complicated.

April 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not use the hotsling until Jonah was about five months old. He lived in our ring sling, though. Literally all day long- I don't know how to even count the hours he was in it for the first few months. Recently he only wants to be in it while we're out running errands, otherwise he wants to be on the floor rolling around. It's quite amazing to me actually; I never thought we would get over that clingy "don't dare put me down or I'll scream" phase, but now I'm sad that he doesn't want anything to do with me LOL

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search