Would you....

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Take your child to a peace march or peaceful antiwar protest?

I have a decision to make. I grew up in Kent, Ohio. I was born there, raised there, and lived almost my entire adult life there. Even when I moved out, I was still there LOL. You never really leave Kent.

My home town is most known for the four students that were killed in an antiwar protest at Kent State University (also my alma-mater) The song "Four Dead in Ohio" is about my hometown, or at least the events that happened there. This happened on May 4, 1970. Every year on may fourth, there is a commemoration for these students, and several peace vigils and marches. I have take part in them since I was in high school.

This year, if the weather is nice enough, I am considering taking Jonah. He is too young to know anything about it... even in two or three or four or five years... hell I am just coming around to understanding a lot of it myself, and I'm sure most of the other adults don't quite understand either... but anyway I'm torn. There is always a peace march after the commemoration. There are speakers, and then we all march from one side of town to the other. It happens every year and doesn't get much notice anymore. It's pretty quiet (unfortunately) but we still do it. I think I want to make a t-shirt for him to wear that says "I don't want to fight your wars" but on the same hand I don't know if I even want to take him. I have even more reason to be against this war now than I ever did, and he is that reason so part of me says take him, but I also don't want to be forcing views upon him that he couldn't possibly understand. KWIM?

I don't want this to be a political discussion about whether the war is right or whether we are right to be marching; I am just asking would you take your child to a peaceful protest for something you believed in with all your heart.

BTW, here is the wiki article about what happened in Kent, if you are interested. It is very rightist and frankly I don't think it depicts what happened very well, but to an outsider it gives a general view.Kent State shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As long as you are completely sure it will be quite peaceful, which it seems that it will be, I see no problem with it. You are not indoctrinating him with your views, simply making a him a part of something you feel strongly about. When he is old enough you can explain more to him, and once he is old enough he may form his own opinions. Here it would be a different situation because anything like that has the potential to turn ugly, but I really cant see a kent state memorial descending into a riot.
April 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I don't think that taking your baby along to a protest or march means that you are enforcing your beliefs upon him. Although personally, I would wear the slogan t-shirt myself, rather than put one on him. I think that makes it clearer it is my own voice and opinion, rather than one I am projecting onto him, kwim? But that's just my own feeling on the matter, as I've never been one keen seeing children at marches carrying or wearing messages that they are too young to understand. I don't think it's harmful or disrespectful to him to put him in a slogan t-shirt if that's what you want do.

My bigger concern would be the potential for things to turn chaotic (I am not good in crowds myself). But if it's really unlikely, and I could tag along at the edges so that I could move away quickly if needed, then it could be ok.
April 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The other two ladies said everything I'm thinking - I would worry about safety in crowds first and if I was sure he'd be safe I'd go. You are not forcing your beliefs on him, you are exposing him to them and there is a big difference. I know a lot of people find political slogan onesies cute - I am notone of those people and we'll leave it at that.

April 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it were any other protest, I'd probably be more worried about safety too. This march has gone on since I can remember, and it's been highly unnoticed. So unnoticed that most people say why bother, but it is important to us. There's a permit etc, and the police are used to it quite frankly, and most support it as it is also a part of the commemoration of something everyone in the town thinks should be kept in remembrance.

Thank you all for giving me your views. I really like that we can all respect each other here and ask questions/give views with honesty

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
christy1108's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no only because I wouldn't want to go. I'm not a crowd person.

April 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would take Lily. I went to UC Berkeley, which is known worldwide for its protests and the whole Free Speech Movement started there, so there are always protests/marches going on. I attended quite a few as a student and I would take Lily to some, but not until she's older. The only reason I would wait is because the ones at Cal tend to get out of control and there are almost always arrests. But if I knew it would be super peaceful and not chaotic I would definitely take her now.

April 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I am just asking would you take your child to a peaceful protest for something you believed in with all your heart.
Yes. If there was going to be a hint of ugliness (which doesn't sound like the case) I wouldn't go or leave ASAP as I'm sure any mother would.

I took dd to a rally to get funding for midwivery (which went through) and a breastfeeding rally too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search