Topic of the week PLAY

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think this is so important. I can remember reading if a family comes in for counseling, but are able to play well, then whatever is wrong will quickly be righted. Many therapists start with teaching families how to play. It helps build attachments, makes the child feel special and important, develops IQ and its just plain fun. Its good for your child to associate you with fun and happiness.
So this week its anything and everything about play. What games you play, do children have enough for play now, was it better when we were kids and anything else you can think of.
I may miss alot of this as I will begoing on holiday Monday, but will catch up when I get back.

Yehuda: How (and Why) to Play with Your Child in Six Steps

Mother, Babies and Love: The Importance of Playing With Your Children
April 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My LO is only 4 months old, so I mostly play by just talking to her and showing her toys and encouraging her to hold them. She also likes to play peek a boo and she loves to look at herself in a mirror. I read her books sometimes. Sometimes she likes it and seems interested in the pictures, but most of the time she wiggles around and try to get away.

April 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kristen, there is a book called learning FUNdamentals that has great ideas for activities with young infants

I just looked it up on amazon and it is a lot more expensive than when I bought it, but maybe you can get it from the libraryhttp://www.amazon.com/Learning-Fundamentals-Early-Rose-Dryden/dp/1903370000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1240116489&sr=8-1

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Play can be really hard for some families, especially if their parents did not play with them and they didnt have younger siblings to play with. I know it will have come easy to you Jess with your background, and playing with a baby seems to be pretty natural for most people too, but I do think playing is so importnat as they get older too. I know its akward for some people who are self conscious. Me I dont care what I look like, if anyone calls me a big child, I agree with them, but it builds so much confidence between you and your child. For anyone who hasnt tried it, please do for this week and next at least. The see how you feel about it?
Its brilliant trust me!
Jess if you have time, could you come up with suggestions for people who are not used to playing with LO and might feel uncomfortable at first?
April 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Super Mommy
Now that my dd is 2 we really just follow her lead in most things that we play around the house. She is full of ideas and articulates well, which makes it really easy but even with children that are pre-verbal it is easy to just follow along with what they are doing.

Most infants want Mom or Dad on the same level they are on.
Toddlers want to run around being chased,and to know that you think that they are the most wonderful inventive creative intellligent person on earth.
Older kids want be listened to and given time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search