Birth rape awareness

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
This is really, really close to home for me even though people are in denial. I've been mocked for using the term rape so I wanted to pass this on for education.

Not a happy birthday - The F-Word
April 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW, I've never even heard of that, how disgusting.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

April 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Tofu Bacon
I am so glad you posted this, Michelle. I think its hard for others to understand that birth rape isn't about not having your "ideal" birth experience, but about having things done to your body that leave you feeling violated and degraded. It saddens me that our culture has come to accept birth as something that is done to us, and that almost any action is justified as long as the perpetrator is wearing a starched white coat. And if a woman dares have these feelings its because she is somehow less noble, or she cares more about her birth experience than her baby. We're told "All that matters is a healthy baby," Yes, a healthy baby is what's most important, but its not ALL that is important.
April 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That makes me sick to my stomach. I just can't imagine...

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is a great article for articulating it. I do think it is something many don't respect or take seriously and don't even realize is possible.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
KatiesGirls
My mom was actually sexually assaulted after having me She was knocked out for the c-section, and when she woke up some guy dressed up in a nurses uniform was fondling her
April 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksGirls View Post
My mom was actually sexually assaulted after having me She was knocked out for the c-section, and when she woke up some guy dressed up in a nurses uniform was fondling her
OMG!!!!

I think this article is so sad and I can't believe this happens.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Truly and very much exists. The OB for Leila's delivery did exactly what is described by Lyndsey to me when I was stuck at a 9 for a bit. I kicked her no joke. I kept telling her to stop and she wouldn't. She is the reason I am delivering with a midwife at a birth center who's aim is to interfere as little as possible. I too feel like I was raped by my OB and it saddens me that someone we should trust would violate women so much.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

April 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This makes me so sad reading this article that people don't realize that this happens and they disregard the term so easily. It is rape, plain and simple! My heart goes out to you Michelle!

April 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Cannons View Post
I am so glad you posted this, Michelle. I think its hard for others to understand that birth rape isn't about not having your "ideal" birth experience, but about having things done to your body that leave you feeling violated and degraded. It saddens me that our culture has come to accept birth as something that is done to us, and that almost any action is justified as long as the perpetrator is wearing a starched white coat. And if a woman dares have these feelings its because she is somehow less noble, or she cares more about her birth experience than her baby. We're told "All that matters is a healthy baby," Yes, a healthy baby is what's most important, but its not ALL that is important.
I just couldn't articulate it this well. Man I was in denial after, during and a long time after. It took me a long time to own the word rape when referring to my birth. I could never trust the CHR again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksGirls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila's Mom Jen View Post
Truly and very much exists. The OB for Leila's delivery did exactly what is described by Lyndsey to me when I was stuck at a 9 for a bit. I kicked her no joke. I kept telling her to stop and she wouldn't. She is the reason I am delivering with a midwife at a birth center who's aim is to interfere as little as possible. I too feel like I was raped by my OB and it saddens me that someone we should trust would violate women so much.
I know exactly how you feel. I'll never forget the smug attitude afterwards from my OB. I can't seem to express myself well enough.. I just want it to go away.

You know, I *HATE* that other women can understand this yet I feel so validated now. I know I have to deal with this WAY more but this is helping so much. Thank you ladies.

Quote:
The Birth Trauma Association (BTA) supports all women who have had a traumatic birth experience. It is estimated that, in the UK alone, this may result in 10,000 women a year developing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Also, as many as 200,000 more women may feel traumatised by childbirth and develop some of the symptoms of PTSD. The BTA wants women to know that they are not alone. On these pages, we offer emotional and practical support to women and also their families.
Source
April 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cant read this. I dont know if anyone would even believe me if I shared some of my birth experiences and I'm not ready to anyway, but thats why i tried for home birth with ian.
I suppose this should be brought into the open more, and something done about it.
April 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
That makes me sick to my stomach. I just can't imagine...
ditto. There is no way my husband would stand by idly though.

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broxi3781 View Post
I cant read this. I dont know if anyone would even believe me if I shared some of my birth experiences and I'm not ready to anyway, but thats why i tried for home birth with ian.
I suppose this should be brought into the open more, and something done about it.
I understand. Talking about it is not something I can even do today. Typing it out doesn't seem to work either. Obviously I hope you healing and an open pm box if you ever want to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
ditto. There is no way my husband would stand by idly though.
I hope you and your dh are never in that position.
April 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I guess I was ignorant to all this as well (although not surprised in the least). We are always taught how much the medical community has our best interests at heart and it is absolutely sickening what they get away with. I wasn't able to read the entire article because I found it a bit triggering but I wanted to thank you Michelle for enlightening me to all this. I am so sorry that you and others had to go through such a horrible assault.
April 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
April 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was aware that some doctors perform procedure without a woman's consent, but I didn't know it was to this extent. It is sickening to read this article and realize what goes on in some hospitals. My heart goes out to anyone who has experienced a situation like this.

I was very happy to see so much good information on the safety of out-of-hospital births in this article. It's a refreshing change from much of what I read about birth.

Expecting baby #4!

April 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Michelle and everyone else who has been thru this, I am so sorry. It is so sad to know that they can even ruin what is supposed to be "the" happiest day of your life.

Have any of you seen a theropist?

Michelle and everyone else who has been thru this, I am so sorry. It is so sad to know that they can even ruin what is supposed to be "the" happiest day of your life.

Have any of you seen a theropist?

April 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, how sad. I couldn't read the whole thing it was to disturbing. I am pretty ignorant to things like this. You almost can't trust anyone now days. Another reason I am going to have an at home birth next time.
Thank you Michelle for sharing this article with us. I am so sorry for everyone that this has happened to.
April 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I'm glad I read this even though so much of the article was so heart-wrenching. I feel for any woman who has ever been through something like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search