What ever happened to hide and seek?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like you never see the old games played out in the streets anymore, Freeze tag, hide and seek, dodge ball, capture the flag.
I remember before Ian was born getting all the bored older kids at the park playing dodgeball and they thought i was so brilliant to have thought it up. If you have older children do you play any of these games with them? Which were your favourite games (outdoor)as a child?
I loved hide and seek played across the whole neighbourhood as it was getting dark. We play hide in seek indoors but as Billy is getting older will start playing at the park soon and rope all teh other children into it. So many dont even seem to know how to play these games, but once you get them started they have a blast. Red light green light is fun for younger ones too.
Here are some links on traditional games too:
Village Games. The Harry Burn Family History Site

Kids Games
April 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kids around here dont know any of those "old school" games anymore.Infact,we were at my MILs farm last week and I asked my son if he wanted to play freeze tag,and he asked if it was for the Wii or the NDS
I swear that unless its a video game,they have never heard of it! Now that the Wii-fit is out there,it seems that kids dont even have to play out in the fresh air anymore.They can play tennis,baseball or do yoga just sitting infront of the TV

The worlds gone crazy.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

April 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
There are few boys in our neighborhood that still play "old school". It is fun to watch.

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Gina, that has me in stitches about the wii or ds because its so true. At least they still play football on the streets here, but its seems all the old games are forgotten about. Even at the park, half the time they just sit in a big group and play ds's. I will get groups of them playing this year though, theya re usually pretty easy to motivate especially the ones whose parents cant afford ds, or havent had a new game for it since xmas.
April 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We didn't have a neighborhood when I was younger (no one lived within a 1/2 mile of our house) so we just played with eachother. We live in a great neighborhood now and I'd like to see the kids do this as they get older.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
April 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Beaker, it is fun to watch. We have a lovely older lady who sits at the window and watches Billy play football and stuff all summer. We are really lucky the neighbours here dont mind the kids playing at night and all. I never could understand the ones who try to get football banned and so on, I suppose they dont remember being kids themselves.
April 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I plan on teaching Tanja all kind of those games, same for the rest of the kids in this family !
When we were at my great grandma's old house (she passed away and the whole family was there for her funeral last year) there was about 6-10 kids there.. most where clued down sitting on their DS's!
I can understand reading, i love to read but not all the time.

Another thing that saddned me is seeing how young kids are when they get their own TV in their rooms O.O
Someone on another board asked where they all had TV's and they all had 4 tvs each and almost everyone had 1 for the kid/s room.... sad thing is most of those kids were only about 3-4yrs old

April 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved capture the flag growing up!!! We also played a version of hide and go seek called "sardines." It was kind of reverse hide and go seek. One person hides, and everyone else searches for them. As each person finds the hider, they have to squeeze into the hiding space as well. We played it everywhere, even at church! We got in trouble though when we decided to hide in the organ.... we fit fifteen of us in there!

I've noticed most families keep to themselves these days. No one is very social, and that is kind of required to play these kinds of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekinna2402 View Post
I

Another thing that saddned me is seeing how young kids are when they get their own TV in their rooms O.O
Someone on another board asked where they all had TV's and they all had 4 tvs each and almost everyone had 1 for the kid/s room.... sad thing is most of those kids were only about 3-4yrs old
wow, that is sad! It always amazes me when I watch the Nanny shows how often she has to take TV's away from the kids. I think it's ridiculous. I babysat for a family that did not have a tv... not a single one; none! At first I thought it was a little weird, but those kids were the most respectful and insightful kids I know. It's strange, the youngest is now a senior in high school. It makes me feel SO old! They both grew up to be very brilliant individuals, and very empathetic to others.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I loved capture the flag growing up!!! We also played a version of hide and go seek called "sardines." It was kind of reverse hide and go seek. One person hides, and everyone else searches for them. As each person finds the hider, they have to squeeze into the hiding space as well. We played it everywhere, even at church! We got in trouble though when we decided to hide in the organ.... we fit fifteen of us in there!
That sounds like fun!

I don't know about all the old school games, but kids around here definitely play hide & go seek - I hear them out there at dusk (now that we've had some nice days) counting REALLY loud.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
KatiesGirls
I think that the video Michelle posted can easily go hand in hand with this question. From the moment our kids are born they are being slowly trained to be little consumers. Why would they want to play tag when they *need* to own the latest video game?
April 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We play hide N seek all the time with Hunter! He loves it.
April 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Oh I am definately stealing the sardines one, that sounds brilliant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search